Welcome Jorginho

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Welcome Jorginho

Post by goonersid »

The negativity about his signing was ridiculous, even given we'd had a few chav duds in the past.
I sat and watched the Villa game again tonight, free of anxiety, he looks real quality, always aware of whats developing around him, rarely wasting possession and picking some great passes.
I know it's early days, but he looks hungry and could really prove to be an inspired signing.
As others have said, I hope when Partey is fit, that Arteta has the balls to drop Xhaka to the bench, I don't think he's been as bad as he's painted on here, but this is a real opportunity to make our midfield look as good as anything in the league.

DB10GOONER

Re: Welcome Jorginho

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:57 pm
The negativity about his signing was ridiculous, even given we'd had a few chav duds in the past.
I sat and watched the Villa game again tonight, free of anxiety, he looks real quality, always aware of whats developing around him, rarely wasting possession and picking some great passes.
I know it's early days, but he looks hungry and could really prove to be an inspired signing.
As others have said, I hope when Partey is fit, that Arteta has the balls to drop Xhaka to the bench, I don't think he's been as bad as he's painted on here, but this is a real opportunity to make our midfield look as good as anything in the league.
Another fucking fanboy.... :roll:

:lol: :wink:

You're right, he's not as bad as he's painted on here. He's worse. :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:

Any more ridiculous that bigging up a guy after just TWO GAMES ? :rubchin: I was against signing him but was the first to say that I felt that he was our best player against citeeh, BUT the success or failure of a signing cant be judged after two games ffs

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:10 pm
goonersid wrote:

Any more ridiculous that bigging up a guy after just TWO GAMES ? :rubchin: I was against signing him but was the first to say that I felt that he was our best player against citeeh, BUT the success or failure of a signing cant be judged after two games ffs
I never suggested it was! I said it was early days!
Though I can remember someone "bigging up" Saliba having never seen him kick a ball for the club!

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:00 pm
augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:

I never suggested it was! I said it was early days!
Though I can remember someone "bigging up" Saliba having never seen him kick a ball for the club!

You can because I had seen some of him in action in french league, albeit that I'm not claiming that I had seen loads of him in action - I think part of my point in bigging Saliba up at the time, was that I said that he couldnt be any worse than mustafi and mari and other centre back options we had.
I still dont think that there was anything ridiculous in slating the signing of a 32 year old who has been in decline for a year or two and who couldnt get into a dogshit chav team

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Jorginho played in 19 of the 21 league games before his move, only a couple as a sub. :oops: :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Clummo99 wrote:
    Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:32 pm
    Jorginho played in 19 of the 21 league games before his move, only a couple as a sub. :oops: :lol:
    :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
    Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:32 pm
    8) :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

What I wanted was a defensive-minded midfielder who could cover Partey when he is out. Jorginho passed the ball very well against Villa but my concern is his defensive work and his lack of speed. Villa could easily have scored 4 against us and waltzed through our midfield at times. A midfield of Jorginho, Clive, and Zinchenko does not look very secure against fast counter-attacking sides. He would be a good option to have alongside Partey against 10 behind-the-ball merchants. As the Villa game showed we struggle defensively when Partey is out and I think a lot of negativity and frustration showed about the Jorginho signing was really aimed at the club's failure in the last two transfer windows to address that.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
    goonersid wrote:

True that slag willian had a good first game at Fulham.....then did fuck all.....with Saliba you can see hes decent

when i first saw Petit and Viera in their first game i was amazed.....real quality

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

John F wrote:
    Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:14 pm
    What I wanted was a defensive-minded midfielder who could cover Partey when he is out. Jorginho passed the ball very well against Villa but my concern is his defensive work and his lack of speed. Villa could easily have scored 4 against us and waltzed through our midfield at times. A midfield of Jorginho, Clive, and Zinchenko does not look very secure against fast counter-attacking sides. He would be a good option to have alongside Partey against 10 behind-the-ball merchants. As the Villa game showed we struggle defensively when Partey is out and I think a lot of negativity and frustration showed about the Jorginho signing was really aimed at the club's failure in the last two transfer windows to address that.
    Fair point John F...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

John F wrote:
    Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:14 pm
    I think you've nailed it there, John. Personally I wasn't too impressed by his signing, but I also think he has been excellent so far. And yes of course its too early to say for sure. Fingers crossed though that he goes on to help us win the title. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I wonder if he will get a look-in regarding any penalties as Saka seems to be our Penalty Taker?

Jorginho Penalty Stats: "The Brazil-born playmaker has taken 48 penalties throughout his career so far. Jorginho has impressively scored 41 of those spot kicks using his trademark technique, in which he jumps just before striking the ball to deceive the opposition "

Personally I think that 'jump' is cheating....I mean if you're going to take a Pen you run up and hit it, place it, hammer the fuck out of it etc whatever! No jumps, hesitations etc...BUT! If he were to take a pen for us with a 'jump' and it wins us the game! Then 8) :high5: :dancingbanana:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
    Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:47 am
    I wonder if he will get a look-in regarding any penalties as Saka seems to be our Penalty Taker?

Jorginho Penalty Stats: "The Brazil-born playmaker has taken 48 penalties throughout his career so far. Jorginho has impressively scored 41 of those spot kicks using his trademark technique, in which he jumps just before striking the ball to deceive the opposition "

Personally I think that 'jump' is cheating....I mean if you're going to take a Pen you run up and hit it, place it, hammer the fuck out of it etc whatever! No jumps, hesitations etc...BUT! If he were to take a pen for us with a 'jump' and it wins us the game! Then 8) :high5: :dancingbanana:
    That’s not such a great record on pens …..only 85.4166666 percent. ( one for DB and other stat lovers 🥰 out there )

I would think Saka’s better than that currently, having taken relatively few.
    Only pen missed by him is at International level that I can think of

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Stuart the Human Calculator!!! :D :wink: