Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

Post by OneBardGooner »

Amidst all this Doom & Gloom etc... Have yourselves a little bubble:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/weXOeEC2KZ0

:lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:07 pm
ESR has looked poor in his few minutes since he came back. I wonder if his head is right? We've seen our 'reserve' team a few times this season, where we rest our best players and what's left has not performed, at all. Invariably, we ended up having to bring on the big guns to dig us out of a hole. The backup just isn't good enough. ESR has a long way to go to get back to his best, I'm afraid I don't think he'll get there.
Totally agree. ESR looks miles off the pace. Sloppy, unfit and lacking any kind of drive. Wasn’t it Bournemouth where he came on for Trossard, stunk the place out and was then replaced by Nelson who created an assist and scored the winner? He looks an absolute shadow of what he was in glimpses last season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:59 am
Steveo we’re going to have to sign 4/5 players in the summer to handle the CL and for once I actually think the club have the stomach for it. After binning off so much shit in the last few years we now have one of the smallest squads in the league and that has to be addressed in the summer.

We tried for Caicedo in January which would allow us to seamlessly transition between him and Partey. We will need the likes of him and 4 others in the summer, simple as.
I hope you're right Rodders old chap I really do because I'm still fucking livid about last night and I haven't missed our abject performances in the CL one little bit this past few years. I find it galling that a team supposedly on the cusp of a title, can't compete with the 4th best team in a farmers league which makes me wonder how the fuck we will next year when there aren't any easy games. It really will need 4 to 5 additions as you rightly say. If we are playing Kiwior, Tomiyasu, Vieira etc, then being in the CL will be as much of a waste of space as it was under Lord Clueless and I will end up hoping we drop back down into the competition we've just chosen to bin

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:17 am
On a side note ,city have got drawn against Bayern in the next round

Real Madrid v Chelsea
Exactly the draw I wanted, Bayern in the QF followed by Real in the semis for City, that’s 4 gruelling games into their schedule now :barscarf:

Oh sorry is that pathetic diversion tactics by me :oops:
And i would agree which is why there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever now if we don't go on and win the league. We've snobbily chosen to bin the EL and our title rivals now have the toughest teams left in the CL to play - a competition its widely agreed that they are hellbent on winning

A perfect draw indeed. No excuses remain!

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:25 pm
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea
Exactly the draw I wanted, Bayern in the QF followed by Real in the semis for City, that’s 4 gruelling games into their schedule now :barscarf:

And i would agree which is why there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever now if we don't go on and win the league. We've snobbily chosen to bin the EL and our title rivals now have the toughest teams left in the CL to play - a competition its widely agreed that they are hellbent on winning

Steve O we didn’t chose to bin it, we played a weakend first team who were not up to it.
Do you think Martinelli deliberately missed a penalty or Ramsdale who was an extra inch away from saving one or two let them in on purpose ?

Arteta misjudged how shit, a midfield of Vieira, Xhaka, and Jorginho would perform against a young, speedy, energetic opposition.

But if Saka or Odegaard or Party were injured in the Europa league, Arteta would have been crucified.

I hope he goes on another purge in the summer and bins off another 3 or 4 and recruits again, which all of Mcdowells sources appear to back :wink: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea

Steve O we didn’t chose to bin it, we played a weakend first team who were not up to it.
Do you think Martinelli deliberately missed a penalty or Ramsdale who was an extra inch away from saving one or two let them in on purpose ?

Arteta misjudged how shit, a midfield of Vieira, Xhaka, and Jorginho would perform against a young, speedy, energetic opposition.

But if Saka or Odegaard or Party were injured in the Europa league, Arteta would have been crucified.

I hope he goes on another purge in the summer and bins off another 3 or 4 and recruits again, which all of Mcdowells sources appear to back :wink: :lol:

What a shocking threesome in the middle of the park. Any one of them worries me, but all three together?!! :worried: :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea

I hope he goes on another purge in the summer and bins off another 3 or 4 and recruits again, which all of Mcdowells sources appear to back

Kylian Mbappé on his way as we speak

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea

Last edited by mcdowell42 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea

I think that midfield that you mention was the equivalent of binning it mate !

Anyway, it's done now. My full on strop is gradually subsiding as I'm on to my second pint of the evening

Let love spread round the room!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Been trying to post this a response to the Tee Cee / Bobby Pires discussion about ESR, but it keeps coming up "Internal server error" and won't accept my post. There's nothing controversial in terms of breaking forum rules in the post and I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, where the system wouldn't accept a post.

I wondered if this is what happens when someone blocks you and whether TeeCee or Bobby had blocked me, so I tried responding to their posts a few pages back and the posts were accepted. I'd only typed a single letter and then deleted the post.

Anyone know what's going on?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Here's the response to Tee Cee and Bobby that I was trying to post.

I haven't got the time or energy to get involved in another drawn out barny on here, but a player who looked as good as ESR does not become a poor player. When he got injured last season (was Oct or Nov), he was our leading scorer, despite playing in midfield, or as a number 10 and was getting rave reviews here and in the media. Many on here (including me) thought that he might well be the brightest prospect of our very good young 3 and many (including me) would have started him ahead of Odegaard at the time...in fact he was generally picked ahead of Odegaard early last season.

He picked up the injury, didn't really get a look in when fit and then broke down again and has missed a huge amount of football. There's no way that he'll be instantly up to speed, but he needs some playing time. Last night would have been an ideal opportunity and whatever you guys think of him, he wouldn't be any worse than Vieira would he?!

I don't think he figures in Arteta's plans...if he can't get ahead of Xhaka (who can?!), or Vieira then he can't possibly figure...so for the sake of his career, he needs to request a move in the Summer. I'd be gutted to see him go, but I'd hate him to waste the chance of a decent career. I'd wish him nothing but good luck.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm
Been trying to post this a response to the Tee Cee / Bobby Pires discussion about ESR, but it keeps coming up "Internal server error" and won't accept my post. There's nothing controversial in terms of breaking forum rules in the post and I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, where the system wouldn't accept a post.

I wondered if this is what happens when someone blocks you and whether TeeCee or Bobby had blocked me, so I tried responding to their posts a few pages back and the posts were accepted. I'd only typed a single letter and then deleted the post.

It's a problem at the website server end. Nothing you're doing wrong.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm

It's a problem at the website server end. Nothing you're doing wrong.

Ok Clummo, thanks. I was starting to get paranoid....which is the usual state of a Gooner to be honest. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:06 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Real Madrid v Chelsea

I think that midfield that you mention was the equivalent of binning it mate !

Anyway, it's done now. My full on strop is gradually subsiding as I'm on to my second pint of the evening

Let love spread round the room! and the next round is on me!
:cheers:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:09 pm
Here's the response to Tee Cee and Bobby that I was trying to post.

I haven't got the time or energy to get involved in another drawn out barny on here, but a player who looked as good as ESR does not become a poor player. When he got injured last season (was Oct or Nov), he was our leading scorer, despite playing in midfield, or as a number 10 and was getting rave reviews here and in the media. Many on here (including me) thought that he might well be the brightest prospect of our very good young 3 and many (including me) would have started him ahead of Odegaard at the time...in fact he was generally picked ahead of Odegaard early last season.

He picked up the injury, didn't really get a look in when fit and then broke down again and has missed a huge amount of football. There's no way that he'll be instantly up to speed, but he needs some playing time. Last night would have been an ideal opportunity and whatever you guys think of him, he wouldn't be any worse than Vieira would he?!

I don't think he figures in Arteta's plans...if he can't get ahead of Xhaka (who can?!), or Vieira then he can't possibly figure...so for the sake of his career, he needs to request a move in the Summer. I'd be gutted to see him go, but I'd hate him to waste the chance of a decent career. I'd wish him nothing but good luck.
Aaaah Haaa! Our Plan is Working then! :lol: