Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rian1

Re: Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

Post by Rian1 »

As much as we sugarcoat yesterday’s result with the various “we care about PL” “EL isn’t as important” “doesn’t matter, CL is more important” , reality is, it’s still a bad result overall.

I felt like over both legs we really weren’t in control of the tie. Should’ve gone full strength yesterday knowing this was on the cards. I can’t help but look at the remaining teams in EL and think.. how tf are we not in the mix to win that.

Apart from United, there’s no real contender in that competition, I’d put Roma due to Mourinho.

Yes, PL is important for me but I won’t act like a double wasn’t on the cards and we let it slip. Good to be back in the CL but I’m not going to be deluded and say we are getting far there, either.

augie

Post by augie »

It has always been my belief that we will need city to lose at least one more game for us to win the league (cos two defeats away v city and victims has us 2nd), but surely if all you lads were praying that city would get a tough draw in champs league, it is as much as saying that ye too believe that we wont win the league without them slipping up, and if ye do believe that, then shouldnt we have shown more commitment to winning the europa league ? In years gone by I would have happily sacrificed "lesser cups" for bigger prizes, but I think this year we have blown a big chance of winning silverware. I feel that we could have rotated last night (and last week) and still won the games, but that is when you rotate with a line up including tierney and smith-rowe, and not resorting to playing the portugese pussy who isnt even half as useful as xhaka and that is as bad an indictment as you will ever get. When I opposed his signing last summer I was told that smith-rowe is a winger (he is a natural number 10 btw) and that vieira wont take game time from him, but now it seems that regardless of whether it is on the wing or in the 10, the lightweight coward is ahead of smith-rowe in the basque fools eyes and it is to the determent of the team - arteta's commitment to him is baffling cos he is producing less than nothing and yet arteta managed to somehow pick out 3 players that deserved to be subbed ahead of him last night :roll:

I'm sure el basque has seen the headlines in the papers in recent months about how he has replaced nearly all the players he inherited, and come the end of next summer we will have seen two more of them depart and he will no doubt rejoyce then - the fact that the only one of the players he wants to keep (swiss turd) is the one that emery and the fans wanted out, should tell us everything :evil:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 pm
Before anyone starts, this is not a snide dig at Ramsdale, but when was the last time we had a keeper that saved penalties? Can't remember Leno ever saving one. For years now, a penalty for the opposition is a certain fucking goal. I knew their bloke had at least one save in him and knew we'd fucking lose.
Yes it's fvcking annoying isn't it.
Cech was useless as well.

Just had a bet you would say something along those lines.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Sooo Predictable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck me OBG, give it a rest. I put in the part you've highlighted to make it clear that we've been shit at saving penalties for years. If I'd wanted to be a smart arse, I'd have mentioned Martinez and his penalty saves in the Coppa America and the World Cup. I purposely didn't mention him, but others have.

Cech, Leno, Ramsdale....what is it, one penalty save between them?
FFS Retro did you see the :lol: :lol: :lol: Moji things... Lighten UP! FFS!

Put it this way, after last night if Ramsdfale EVER gets caught out like that again... Me and you'll drive the taxi that takes him to Sid's Dungeon!

okay? :D
Jorginho actually missed a penalty against us in the 3-1 at Emirates - Leno in goal

https://youtu.be/3vYQBaQ9Zw0

I remembered as I checked Jorginho’s penalty stats a while back

Few and far between it would be fair to say for saves from Pens.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

I am not glad we went out, I would rather we won BUT this morning, I am not gutted that we are out.

Yes it does give us rest and recouperation time now between games, which some of our players like Saka and Saliba, Partey, will need and those coming back from injury like Jesus and Trossard will be grateful for.

At the start of the season I wanted us to win the Europa, not believing we would be in the hunt for the title, so it is a sacrifice for the greater good, IF it gives us an extra 5 or 10 % to put into the last 11 matches.

Our European record is poor, for a club our size, and I would have loved to win it but, simply, I want the league more.

Time will tell if it was a blessing

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:11 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:39 am
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:17 am
On a side note ,city have got drawn against Bayern in the next round

Real Madrid v Chelsea
Exactly the draw I wanted, Bayern in the QF followed by Real in the semis for City, that’s 4 gruelling games into their schedule now :barscarf:

Oh sorry is that pathetic diversion tactics by me :oops:
Yep perfect draw to keep them concentrating in other areas. :D :barscarf:
I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave up chasing the league by the time they play us. For City the CL is more important than the league, win win for us but I hope they win it.
If we can keep a good points difference you could well be right.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm
It has always been my belief that we will need city to lose at least one more game for us to win the league (cos two defeats away v city and victims has us 2nd), but surely if all you lads were praying that city would get a tough draw in champs league, it is as much as saying that ye too believe that we wont win the league without them slipping up, and if ye do believe that, then shouldnt we have shown more commitment to winning the europa league ? In years gone by I would have happily sacrificed "lesser cups" for bigger prizes, but I think this year we have blown a big chance of winning silverware. I feel that we could have rotated last night (and last week) and still won the games, but that is when you rotate with a line up including tierney and smith-rowe, and not resorting to playing the portugese pussy who isnt even half as useful as xhaka and that is as bad an indictment as you will ever get. When I opposed his signing last summer I was told that smith-rowe is a winger (he is a natural number 10 btw) and that vieira wont take game time from him, but now it seems that regardless of whether it is on the wing or in the 10, the lightweight coward is ahead of smith-rowe in the basque fools eyes and it is to the determent of the team - arteta's commitment to him is baffling cos he is producing less than nothing and yet arteta managed to somehow pick out 3 players that deserved to be subbed ahead of him last night :roll:

I'm sure el basque has seen the headlines in the papers in recent months about how he has replaced nearly all the players he inherited, and come the end of next summer we will have seen two more of them depart and he will no doubt rejoyce then - the fact that the only one of the players he wants to keep (swiss turd) is the one that emery and the fans wanted out, should tell us everything :evil:
It isn't about not thinking we'll win the league, it's about stacking things up more in our favour. There is a difference

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm
I am not glad we went out, I would rather we won BUT this morning, I am not gutted that we are out.

Yes it does give us rest and recouperation time now between games, which some of our players like Saka and Saliba, Partey, will need and those coming back from injury like Jesus and Trossard will be grateful for.

At the start of the season I wanted us to win the Europa, not believing we would be in the hunt for the title, so it is a sacrifice for the greater good, IF it gives us an extra 5 or 10 % to put into the last 11 matches.

Our European record is poor, for a club our size, and I would have loved to win it but, simply, I want the league more.

I think that’s about right Stuart. I’m not glad we went out, but neither am I distraught. Contrary to popular opinion on here, I think we could have competed on both levels, but as Augie has said, that means using the right players when you rotate.

I can’t understand Arteta’s reticence with ESR. The boy is a quality act imo and needs game time after the injury lay-offs. The EL would have been ideal for that and would have helped get him up to speed for the tough PL run-in that’s coming up.

Trouble is, ESR seems to be behind every midfielder in the squad and when you’re behind Xhaka and Vieira in the manager’s plans, well it’s time to find a new club. I once thought that ESR would turn out to be the pick of our young three of Martinelli, Saka and him, but it clearly won’t happen for him at our place. I hate to say it, but he needs to ask for a move in the summer. We’ll live to regret it.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Not a chance City give up trying to win the Premier League. They’re starting to build form again.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:35 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:

I think that’s about right Stuart. I’m not glad we went out, but neither am I distraught. Contrary to popular opinion on here, I think we could have competed on both levels, but as Augie has said, that means using the right players when you rotate.

I can’t understand Arteta’s reticence with ESR. The boy is a quality act imo and needs game time after the injury lay-offs. The EL would have been ideal for that and would have helped get him up to speed for the tough PL run-in that’s coming up.

Trouble is, ESR seems to be behind every midfielder in the squad and when you’re behind Xhaka and Vieira in the manager’s plans, well it’s time to find a new club. I once thought that ESR would turn out to be the pick of our young three of Martinelli, Saka and him, but it clearly won’t happen for him at our place. I hate to say it, but he needs to ask for a move in the summer. We’ll live to regret it.
Start of the season I was desperate for us to win it, as it’s a European trophy and entry into the champions league.

As the season has progressed it’s gone from top priority down to 2nd for me.

If we were 2nd or 3rd, behind City, by 5 points or more I would accept that it would be unlikely (but still possible ) to win the league.

As we are TOP and will be TOP come start of April, then I think we can justify going full tilt for the league, we didn’t throw the game, we played some back up players who did not produce enough, and their keeper kept them in it with a couple of blinding saves and we went out on pens.

Utd may well end up with just the Carabou Cup, City may end up with nothing , likewise we may finish 2nd or we may win the bloody thing.

And I love ESR, I thought 2 seasons ago he would be our stand out youngster - I think he would excel in Xhaka’s role as he can pass with a decent weight on it, run with the ball and shoot better, am baffled by Arteta’s reluctance to play him.
Last edited by Stuart L (2) on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Interesting reading the different views on here.I was fucking gutted we lost lastnight but then I'm gutted when we get pit out of anything.Its not just the fact we lost,it's the fucking way we lost ffs Extra time then pens then out.Only at the end of the season will we know if it was a blessing or not,but ties in amongst the dippers and Shammers away would've been tough as those games will be tough as it is.Sunday and how we react is massive now.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:53 pm
Interesting reading the different views on here.I was fucking gutted we lost lastnight but then I'm gutted when we get pit out of anything.Its not just the fact we lost,it's the fucking way we lost ffs Extra time then pens then out.Only at the end of the season will we know if it was a blessing or not,but ties in amongst the dippers and Shammers away would've been tough as those games will be tough as it is.Sunday and how we react is massive now.
West Ham still in the other euro comp helps us to a degree too.

As you state, end of the season will tell.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 pm
Before anyone starts, this is not a snide dig at Ramsdale, but when was the last time we had a keeper that saved penalties? Can't remember Leno ever saving one. For years now, a penalty for the opposition is a certain fucking goal. I knew their bloke had at least one save in him and knew we'd fucking lose.
Yes it's fvcking annoying isn't it.
Cech was useless as well.

Just had a bet you would say something along those lines.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Sooo Predictable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck me OBG, give it a rest. I put in the part you've highlighted to make it clear that we've been shit at saving penalties for years. If I'd wanted to be a smart arse, I'd have mentioned Martinez and his penalty saves in the Coppa America and the World Cup. I purposely didn't mention him, but others have.

Cech, Leno, Ramsdale....what is it, one penalty save between them?
FFS Retro did you see the :lol: :lol: :lol: Moji things... Lighten UP! FFS!

Put it this way, after last night if Ramsdfale EVER gets caught out like that again... Me and you'll drive the taxi that takes him to Sid's Dungeon!

okay? :D

:lol:

It's a deal OBG. Peace brother.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:57 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
West Ham still in the other euro comp helps us to a degree too.

As you state, end of the season will tell.
I think the Shammers have a tie the Thurs before we play them on the sun so like you say hopefully it helps us a tad.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:35 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Start of the season I was desperate for us to win it, as it’s a European trophy and entry into the champions league.

As the season has progressed it’s gone from top priority down to 2nd for me.

If we were 2nd or 3rd, behind City, by 5 points or more I would accept that it would be unlikely (but still possible ) to win the league.

As we are TOP and will be TOP come start of April, then I think we can justify going full tilt for the league, we didn’t throw the game, we played some back up players who did not produce enough, and their keeper kept them in it with a couple of blinding saves and we went out on pens.

Utd may well end up with just the Carabou Cup, City may end up with nothing , likewise we may finish 2nd or we may win the bloody thing.

And I love ESR, I thought 2 seasons ago he would be our stand out youngster - I think he would excel in Xhaka’s role as he can pass with a decent weight on it, run with the ball and shoot better, am baffled by Arteta’s reluctance to play him.
Absolutely. As someone said on the game thread last night, we don't have a Squad Full of Good Enough players, we have maybe 14 Players who can step in and not allow the quality to drop; I don't include Vieira in that because he was dire last night and needs to be moved on, I do include Clive in that 14 not because he's any good but simply for the fact (and mysterious reasons) He keeps getting picked.

I also think ESR could improve the 1st Choice eleven if he played instead of Clive, but I am even more mystified why? It is that Arteta hasn't started using him more since his return to (relative) fitness, unless there is an issue with his fitness/injured body part that we don't know of.

The positive of losing last night is that now we can focus 1,000% on the Prem Games with no distractions, I am now just waiting to hear how serious Saliba's and Toni's injuries are.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

ESR has looked poor in his few minutes since he came back. I wonder if his head is right? We've seen our 'reserve' team a few times this season, where we rest our best players and what's left has not performed, at all. Invariably, we ended up having to bring on the big guns to dig us out of a hole. The backup just isn't good enough. ESR has a long way to go to get back to his best, I'm afraid I don't think he'll get there.