Fulham Fb A Sun 12th Mar KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Fulham Fb A Sun 12th Mar KO 2pm

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Kingralph wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:59 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:30 pm
Kingralph wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:58 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:29 pm
Trossard reminds me of WIltord in the way he makes a lot of runs, draws defenders and creates space for others.
Except Trossard is good.
You're harsh when it comes to players of the invincibles. Wiltord may not have scored as many goals as we would have liked but played a role in the title winning sides. I seem to remember him scoring a very important goal too.
I’m only harsh against that gormless prat. He was a slightly less idiotic Gervinho whose crapness was only forgotten about because he scored an important goal for us. Jimmy Carter level of rubbish.
In fairness I got yourself and retro mixed up.

Retro reckons that Gilberto was overrated :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:32 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:17 pm
Well that was just about bloody perfect! As comfortable as it gets - top, professional job done. Is Leo Trossard going to be the signing of the season? It certainly looks that way......the guy is just perfect on the ball. We could even afford for Saka to have one of his least effective games. Lovely to see Jesus come off the bench full of hunger and running too. Thought Saliba had a stormer against that big lump too - especially as he has been called into question in encounters like this one

Fucking lovely stuff!
Agree with all this. What a signing Trossard is proving to be. Just shows what can happen when you buy a bloke who's PL proven and can slip straight in, rather than the Old Fraud's approach of always trying to show how clever he was by unearthing unknown gems, none of which, from memory, worked after about 2004.

I thought the same thing about Saka, not his best day and gave the ball away a few times just in their half to put us under pressure, but he's entitled to an average day. The bright spot is that we can have a key player slightly off song, but there are plenty of others to pick up the slack.

I quite rate Mitrovic and he very often gives experienced centre halves a rough ride, but you're right, he barely got a sniff against Saliba. Whether we win the title or not, if we can keep this group of young players together, then the future looks bright indeed.
After years of listening to "we look everywhere for top top, super quality" and then buying Sanogo, Park, Chamakh and a whole host of other no marks, its a fucking joyous feeling isn't it

We've paid 27 million for a bloke who has scored a hattrick at Anfield and been one of the best players in a top half PL team these past couple of seasons. What's so hard about that Arsene?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Well that was just about bloody perfect! As comfortable as it gets - top, professional job done. Is Leo Trossard going to be the signing of the season? It certainly looks that way......the guy is just perfect on the ball. We could even afford for Saka to have one of his least effective games. Lovely to see Jesus come off the bench full of hunger and running too. Thought Saliba had a stormer against that big lump too - especially as he has been called into question in encounters like this one

Fucking lovely stuff!
Agree with all this. What a signing Trossard is proving to be. Just shows what can happen when you buy a bloke who's PL proven and can slip straight in, rather than the Old Fraud's approach of always trying to show how clever he was by unearthing unknown gems, none of which, from memory, worked after about 2004.

I thought the same thing about Saka, not his best day and gave the ball away a few times just in their half to put us under pressure, but he's entitled to an average day. The bright spot is that we can have a key player slightly off song, but there are plenty of others to pick up the slack.

I quite rate Mitrovic and he very often gives experienced centre halves a rough ride, but you're right, he barely got a sniff against Saliba. Whether we win the title or not, if we can keep this group of young players together, then the future looks bright indeed.
Good summarisation you two

Saka dropping a level occasionally is to be expected, and is great that we have goals and assist all over the pict h so that we are not reliant on one or two players.

Trossard may well turn out to be the key signing, given his versatility- up top or out wide. He came short often and started attacks from deep.
I’m loving his work ethic and as stated has slotted straight in.

To be fair I would not have thought he would have such an impact as he is not a player that I have picked up on at Brighton, although aware he was supposed to be a decent player and got a hat trick at Anfield I believe :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

11 more to go

Keep backing the team, that belief and encouragement gives them extra energy.
Last edited by Stuart L (2) on Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Not knocking Trossard's performance when I say this, but no-one came within a mile of Partey for motm in my opinion

I didnt think vieira could get any worse, and then he is through on goals and falls over his own feet AND gets a free kick :roll: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
Trossard reminds me of WIltord in the way he makes a lot of runs, draws defenders and creates space for others.
Except Trossard is good.
You're harsh when it comes to players of the invincibles. Wiltord may not have scored as many goals as we would have liked but played a role in the title winning sides. I seem to remember him scoring a very important goal too.
It's got bugger all to do with today but I'm more than happy to have a bit of a Wiltord reminscence. He never got the attention that other players got but he was a hard worker in that double year of 2001-02 and as you say, he was invincible a couple of years later. Watching Trossard today reminded me of him in that he made a lot of runs which didn't get the ball but drew the defenders wide or narrow and created space for the overlap or ball through the middle. He has seems to have that Wiltord ability to be a player that the opposition don't want to focus on but know they can't ignore because he can punish you in the box. I'm still too nervous to say it properly but players like those two names are the ones who win teams league titles.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:13 pm
Not knocking Trossard's performance when I say this, but no-one came within a mile of Partey for motm in my opinion

I didnt think vieira could get any worse, and then he is through on goals and falls over his own feet AND gets a free kick :roll: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:
Partey looked like an 18 year old having a kick around with the Under 6 team, he looked levels above everyone else. Bossed the midfield all day, don’t think he lost possession once. As dominant a performance as you’ll see, it took us a while to to see the best of him but he’s been outstanding all season.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:18 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
Except Trossard is good.
It's got bugger all to do with today but I'm more than happy to have a bit of a Wiltord reminscence. He never got the attention that other players got but he was a hard worker in that double year of 2001-02 and as you say, he was invincible a couple of years later. Watching Trossard today reminded me of him in that he made a lot of runs which didn't get the ball but drew the defenders wide or narrow and created space for the overlap or ball through the middle. He has seems to have that Wiltord ability to be a player that the opposition don't want to focus on but know they can't ignore because he can punish you in the box. I'm still too nervous to say it properly but players like those two names are the ones who win teams league titles.

Agree with this Perry. He was under-rated imo and was a clinical finisher. People forget that he was a striker and wanted to play up front for us, but was usually stuck out on the wing by Wenger. Scored a lot of goals considering he was played out there.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:

:lol: :lol: How the fuck he got a free kick I'll never know. Doesn't look good so far does he?

I won't quibble with Trossard's motm, but fully agree about Partey. Had a top game and completely controlled the midfield. Thought he was very average previously, but has stepped up this season.

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:

I couldn't work that one out either. Not complaining but very odd indeed.

Midz

Post by Midz »

We have a young lad at work (from Portugal) who supports Porto so i asked him about Fabio Vieira when we signed him. He told me that he was very good and was sorry to lose him to Arsenal so I'll give him a bit more time and see if he gets better. I know he's been pants so far but we'll see.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Perryashburtongroves

Midz wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:53 pm
We have a young lad at work (from Portugal) who supports Porto so i asked him about Fabio Vieira when we signed him. He told me that he was very good and was sorry to lose him to Arsenal so I'll give him a bit more time and see if he gets better. I know he's been pants so far but we'll see.
I work with a couple of blokes who support Porto and they rave about him too. One of them keeps telling me that he's a league winning transfer.

Perryashburtongroves

Like PV4 all over again. Pure control.

Midz

Post by Midz »

he's another one who didn't start too well compared with how he was at Atletico. He's great now though. :)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:06 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Fucking lovely stuff!

Good summarisation you two

Saka dropping a level occasionally is to be expected, and is great that we have goals and assist all over the pict h so that we are not reliant on one or two players.

Trossard may well turn out to be the key signing, given his versatility- up top or out wide. He came short often and started attacks from deep.
I’m loving his work ethic and as stated has slotted straight in.

To be fair I would not have thought he would have such an impact as he is not a player that I have picked up on at Brighton, although aware he was supposed to be a decent player and got a hat trick at Anfield I believe :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

11 more to go

Keep backing the team, that belief and encouragement gives them extra energy.
^^^This^^^ . ^^^This^^^ and ^^^THIS^^^