Leeds H Sat 1st April

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Leeds H Sat 1st April

Post by Retro Gunner »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:11 pm
Midz,have to agree, him being injured is becoming a regular thing, which is no good to us.He did an interview after Japan went out of the WC ,he seemed very upset over this and apparently he had some personal issues according to some reports, now I've no idea what personal issues they were or if tht particular report is true
Seriously, does it matter??? He has been dreadful since coming on at Brighton, followed that up by giving away the first goal against City...... People say he's part of the squad?? For which game exactly?? It's like losing Viera...........meh, so what!!

It sounds harsh but we are not in a position to have people on the field who are trying to find form. We already have Xhaka who has been trying for a decade. We have no room for another one.

:lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I went to an audience with David ‘O Leary last night. Someone asked him directly why he celebrated beating us in 1999 and stopping us winning the title. He looked a bit shifty and then explained that Fergie had said Leeds were going to roll over and it was all bent if Leeds lost. So O’ Leary made sure the players tried to win to stop this allegation and they went out pumped up. He said it was for the integrity of the game. Sounds like basically Fergie’s mind games worked. By accusing him of being a rollover he then decided to give Arsenal both barrels. Cost us the League that loss. Never forgiven him for celebrating that day. Went down a lot in my estimations and he basically showed last night that Fergie got to him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:03 am
I went to an audience with David ‘O Leary last night. Someone asked him directly why he celebrated beating us in 1999 and stopping us winning the title. He looked a bit shifty and then explained that Fergie had said Leeds were going to roll over and it was all bent if Leeds lost. So O’ Leary made sure the players tried to win to stop this allegation and they went out pumped up. He said it was for the integrity of the game. Sounds like basically Fergie’s mind games worked. By accusing him of being a rollover he then decided to give Arsenal both barrels. Cost us the League that loss. Never forgiven him for celebrating that day. Went down a lot in my estimations and he basically showed last night that Fergie got to him.
Yeah! From that day forth O'Leary was a C.unt

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
I've never forgiven him for his carry on that day and never will. :censored:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

He burned his bridges that day and nothing he says now will retrieve the situation.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:46 pm
He burned his bridges that day and nothing he says now will retrieve the situation.

Spot on,had no time for him after his over the top celebrations ,to think he was more concerned about what Fergie said than the club he played for yrs,no one is saying his team should have just rolled over for Arsenal but have a little respect for the club he was once a player at.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:

Sounds like bollocks to me Bob and sounds weak for him to say that he was played by Fergie. I always had the feeling that he simply had a problem with us and while no one would expect his side to roll over, the way he celebrated was way over the top and nothing to do with proving anything to Ferguson. You're right, it cost us the league. I think it was the previous midweek that we had played away at the scum and that was the game that we were all worried might cost us. We totally controlled the game and from memory won 0-2. We battered Leeds the following week, but the ball just wouldn't go in. I'll always remember Diarra smashing a volley from about 10 yards out and a young Jonathan Woodgate heading it off the line. Six inches either side of him and it was in. I knew then that we wouldn't score. They then nicked a winner and the title was lost and fuck did O'Leary celebrate.

I seem to remember him always being desperate to beat us and being particularly delighted if they did. Wasn't there another occasion when Kelly, or someone took a quick free quick, before we had set our wall etc and they scored. He was pleased as punch and smug about it when interviewed. A couple of seasons later, we did exactly the same thing to them (Henry I think) and he was furious afterwards that the ref had allowed it. I'll never forget the interviewer reminding him that Leeds had got away with the self same thing previously and he looked like he wanted to stab the bloke. Turned really nasty with him.

I loved O'Leary when he played for us, a true Arsenal legend, but once he went into management, I always had the feeling that he was a nasty bastard. As others have said, I can't forgive and forget his antics that night.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:08 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Sounds like bollocks to me Bob and sounds weak for him to say that he was played by Fergie. I always had the feeling that he simply had a problem with us and while no one would expect his side to roll over, the way he celebrated was way over the top and nothing to do with proving anything to Ferguson. You're right, it cost us the league. I think it was the previous midweek that we had played away at the scum and that was the game that we were all worried might cost us. We totally controlled the game and from memory won 0-2. We battered Leeds the following week, but the ball just wouldn't go in. I'll always remember Diarra smashing a volley from about 10 yards out and a young Jonathan Woodgate heading it off the line. Six inches either side of him and it was in. I knew then that we wouldn't score. They then nicked a winner and the title was lost and fuck did O'Leary celebrate.

I seem to remember him always being desperate to beat us and being particularly delighted if they did. Wasn't there another occasion when Kelly, or someone took a quick free quick, before we had set our wall etc and they scored. He was pleased as punch and smug about it when interviewed. A couple of seasons later, we did exactly the same thing to them (Henry I think) and he was furious afterwards that the ref had allowed it. I'll never forget the interviewer reminding him that Leeds had got away with the self same thing previously and he looked like he wanted to stab the bloke. Turned really nasty with him.

I loved O'Leary when he played for us, a true Arsenal legend, but once he went into management, I always had the feeling that he was a nasty bastard. As others have said, I can't forgive and forget his antics that night.
You’re probably right mate. When he was asked the question he had a glare that would have turned milk. He clearly had a problem with modern Arsenal. Was happy to wax lyrical about his time as a player but I agree that he always wanted to get one over us as a manager. Last night I thought he came across as genuine for the most part but he clearly has an ego. The amount of time he spent over that penalty he scored for Ireland v Romania in the World Cup. Was a bit OTT. :lol:

One thing I would say is that he is very close to the Club now. Is in the Director’s box every game. Pretty sure they tried to add him to the Board. He reckons he travels to a lot of the games with the squad. Not sure why he has been brought into the fold and by who.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

We blew the league against leeds because Vivas was shit and we couldn't do enough to win!
O Leary is simply a c u n t!
I've mentioned this before, there was a documentary about an Irish lad who was at Arsenal at the same time as O leary and Brady.
He was terribly homesick so never made it in football, but went on to play rugby for Ireland.
Can't remember if the documentary was posthumous or whatever, but I do remember Brady speaking fondly and sympathetically whereas, O leary was a complete prick.
His celebrations that night at leeds, where in tune with his "it's all about me" mentality!
A fucking prick!

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Exactly this, this fergie thing is bollox, why the fuck would he run up and down the line like he'd won the league unless he was a bitter and twisted prick.

"Bullshit Bobby"

Why also would a gooner go and see this prick :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:37 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Exactly this, this fergie thing is bollox, why the fuck would he run up and down the line like he'd won the league unless he was a bitter and twisted prick.

"Bullshit Bobby"

Exactamondo Lefty!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:37 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

"Bullshit Bobby"

Exactamondo Lefty!
Oh it’s the Red Members. The lesser spotted in N5 ones. I went because it was in my local theatre and it was all about Arsenal. Why did the other 300 plus Gooners go? Ignoring the Leeds thing, he’s our appearance record holder. Some old stories and some Arsenal chat with a few pints on a Tuesday night. That’s my kind of bag rather than sitting at home worrying about something that happened 25 years ago. But sorry I should have taken a moral stand I suppose. A bit like when you wanted me to take a moral stand and give up my season ticket when we finished 8th twice. :lol:

wibble

Post by wibble »

Ah well. Looks like my round at the online Gooner meet up is getting cheaper!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wibble wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol:
Gotta love Wibble and his one liners.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

wibble wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm
Don't worry I will definitely be there wobble, the only hermaphrodites I've ever met were in Thailand, I'd love to meet some home grown ones :barscarf: :lol: