West Ham Mf A Sun 16th April KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: West Ham Mf A Sun 16th April KO 2pm

Post by the playing mantis »

I don't disagree with you Steve or bp (or whoever you were on here in the past...is obg really under 5 ft?!)

I'm equally as annoyed as you and peed off ut my point Nd I don't even know if I agree with it myself is do we throw the baby out with thr bathwater. Can we ignore the good work in getting into the position.

I'm certainly not a arteta fan boy as you will k ow from my time on here but I hope he can learn and despite the stars not aligning like this again build from here. I was all for sacking him in the summer past. Is this season a flash in thr pan or can we now consistently go tie to toe with the big boys - not the oil clubs as don't see how anyone really can consistently - and put some pride back in the Jersey. I think before the recent bottles we have done to an extent with a young team who should get better but only if significant strengthening is done in summer and more shite flushed. I mean we all care again it seems as otherwise the strength of reaction wouldn't be what it is. Past seasons really none of us have cared the result didn't really matter as we knew we were crap. Now we feel again (a mixed blessing as a bad result ow fucks my weekend up again when in the decade of banter before it stopped bothering me)

I think arteta has earned some credit this year and we see what happens next season before compleltey chimping out.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Phone typing so excuse spelling etc

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

We had a much better chance in 15/16 facing a Leicester team who are not a patch on today’s Man City and then genuinely bottled it pretty early with home draws vs Southampton and Swansea etc.

Then there’s 07/08 where we were actually on a higher points total than this season until ~February but then totally bottled it with a series of draws against Birmingham, Wigan, Middlesbrough etc.

The fact that this team has held their nerve much longer than the majority of Wenger seasons is not a negative thing.
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:58 pm
Life's about taking opportunities when they come along. We haven't had this good a chance to win the league for 19 years. It could easily be 19 more

Go back to 1991 when we were deducted 2 points by the FA, our captain and leader was thrown in the nick for 3 months, and we found ourselves battling all conquering Liverpool for the title. We had players like Andy Linighan able to come into the team and play to a set system- a lower league signing, paceless but disciplined

Who wants to be remembered for a "better than expected 2nd place" every 20 years. Regardless of how well we've played and arguably over achieved, with 7 games to go the destiny of the title is in our hands. A team of winners will find a way to get it done. A team happy to say "yay, we came 2nd...much better than anyone thought" won't. I can't believe Graham and his group of youngsters ever considered that 2nd would be admirable in a position like the one we've been handed

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

barnetgooner wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:05 am
We had a much better chance in 15/16 facing a Leicester team who are not a patch on today’s Man City and then genuinely bottled it pretty early with home draws vs Southampton and Swansea etc.

Then there’s 07/08 where we were actually on a higher points total than this season until ~February but then totally bottled it with a series of draws against Birmingham, Wigan, Middlesbrough etc.

The fact that this team has held their nerve much longer than the majority of Wenger seasons is not a negative thing.
SteveO 35 wrote:
Life's about taking opportunities when they come along. We haven't had this good a chance to win the league for 19 years. It could easily be 19 more

Go back to 1991 when we were deducted 2 points by the FA, our captain and leader was thrown in the nick for 3 months, and we found ourselves battling all conquering Liverpool for the title. We had players like Andy Linighan able to come into the team and play to a set system- a lower league signing, paceless but disciplined

Who wants to be remembered for a "better than expected 2nd place" every 20 years. Regardless of how well we've played and arguably over achieved, with 7 games to go the destiny of the title is in our hands. A team of winners will find a way to get it done. A team happy to say "yay, we came 2nd...much better than anyone thought" won't. I can't believe Graham and his group of youngsters ever considered that 2nd would be admirable in a position like the one we've been handed
And then there's 1991 when we didn't bottle it despite being up against a Liverpool side that for most of the previous decade had been the equivalent of modern day Man City - so thanks for highlighting my point completely. Some teams have got the balls, some haven't,

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

If you’re happy to accept 2nd rather than take the opportunity you have then you will never win a title.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:44 pm
barnetgooner wrote:

SteveO 35 wrote:

And then there's 1991 when we didn't bottle it despite being up against a Liverpool side that for most of the previous decade had been the equivalent of modern day Man City - so thanks for highlighting my point completely. Some teams have got the balls, some haven't,
That 1991 team was very underrated, as Steve says deducted points, TA in prison but went the whole season only one game Chelski away from being invincible.

That was peak George Graham when he developed a siege mentality in the team, there's some videos around that time of him talking to the players about how everyone wanted us to lose. MA has to take the same mantra to his squad, although I fear unless we do something spectacular at City that ship has now sailed. I would love to be wrong.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

2 issues why I was so annoyed/frustrated on Sunday

1. Just missing out on the title with a couple of games to go for example dropping points at Newcastle then fair enough, but dropping points at West Han is inexcusable.
2. The manner of the 2 draws is apalling.
To let 1 two goal lead is careless but to let that happen in consecutive weeks is criminal and suggests a very weak mentality. It demonstrates why we have struggled in the cups in recent years- we can’t handle the pressure.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:10 pm
2 issues why I was so annoyed/frustrated on Sunday

1. Just missing out on the title with a couple of games to go for example dropping points at Newcastle then fair enough, but dropping points at West Han is inexcusable.
2. The manner of the 2 draws is apalling.
To let 1 two goal lead is careless but to let that happen in consecutive weeks is criminal and suggests a very weak mentality. It demonstrates why we have struggled in the cups in recent years- we can’t handle the pressure.
The Liverpool draw - not a disgrace at all. They can still swot anyone aside at home as United, City and many others have found out.

West Ham - absolutely shambolic. Last home game was losing 1-5 to Newcastle and their fans were just about starting to get stuck into them. A supposed senior player in Partey becomes a lazy, arrogant cock (or reverts to type whichever you believe), Gabriel goes into full bambi on ice mode and we fold completely against a shambolic team, void of confidence with an awful record against us

The folly of pissing it up the wall against Sporting was something I knew at the time would haunt us if we end up empty handed and I stand by that. Repeat- is it better to come 2nd and win nothing, or 3rd and win one,two or three cups?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I’ll have a bet with my haters. If we win the League I’ll delete my account after the initial celebrations. If we are potless come June I’ll be back. We’ve fucking blown it for no apparent reason. You know it. I know it. You just won’t admit it.

See you in August. :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:39 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:44 pm
barnetgooner wrote:

SteveO 35 wrote:

That 1991 team was very underrated, as Steve says deducted points, TA in prison but went the whole season only one game Chelski away from being invincible.

That was peak George Graham when he developed a siege mentality in the team, there's some videos around that time of him talking to the players about how everyone wanted us to lose. MA has to take the same mantra to his squad, although I fear unless we do something spectacular at City that ship has now sailed. I would love to be wrong.
That 1991 title team was probably the most underrated and unappreciated (outside us Gooners) title winning team in history. Simply superb. As you say peak GG. 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

What this season has shown, not about the club, the players, the owners, the manager, but about this forum is!!
There are posters on here who would be quite happy (even prefer) to see us fail this season, in order to prove themselves (albeit in their twisted minds) right.
The increase in their posts since the last two games speaks volumes!
We all had doubts about Arteta and last season none of us would have been to upset had he been sacked!
We are having an unbelievable season, none of us expected this!
Okay we might fall short, yes I will be gutted!
Those ( and we all know who they are) calling for the manager to be sacked and calling the the players who have given us so much this season, "bottlers"
Yet denying their own agenda, when anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see through their bullshit!
I know we're all entitled to our opinions on this forum, but you are a f u c k i n g embarrassment and any sperz or outsiders looking in on this forum? They must be pissing themselves!
Take a good look at yourself!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:13 pm
What this season has shown, not about the club, the players, the owners, the manager, but about this forum is!!
There are posters on here who would be quite happy (even prefer) to see us fail this season, in order to prove themselves (albeit in their twisted minds) right.
We all had doubts about Arteta and last season none of us would have been to upset had he been sacked!
Those ( and we all know who they are) calling for the manager to be sacked and calling the the players who have given us so much this season, "bottlers"
Yet denying their own agenda, when anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see through their bullshit!
I know we're all entitled to our opinions on this forum, but you are a f u c k i n g embarrassment and any sperz or outsiders looking in on this forum? They must be pissing themselves!
Calm down sid. :lol:

It's all about opinions buddy. And other posters are allowed have opinions. :wink:

I don't honestly believe any Arsenal fan would like to see the club fail just to be proven right on an Internet forum. Do you really believe that?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:05 pm
goonersid wrote:
Calm down sid. :lol:

It's all about opinions buddy. And other posters are allowed have opinions. :wink:

I don't honestly believe any Arsenal fan would like to see the club fail just to be proven right on an Internet forum. Do you really believe that?
I do, it's the only thing that can explain their increased level of posting when when things are going wrong, particularly when we have been having such a great season.
They seem to be just waiting for us to fail.
Either that or they need to take a reality check on their demands and expectation levels from the team and in particular the manager.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Putting my own view across - I've openly admitted in the past that my level of posting increases when we're doing badly. Its the reason I joined in 2008 to start with. From my own perspective, its almost like a form of therapy - letting it all out, mostly having a bit of a laugh and the old 'safety in numbers' thing of knowing that other people are as equally fucked off as you.

The flip side of that is I've always been amongst the first on here to hold my hands up if I've been wrong about a particular match prediction, player, manager etc......and if we win the league and Arteta is carried on a throne around the stadium, I will very happily admit I got it wrong about him as a manager. To an extent - and I've said this in posts back to Augie for example - he has already done better than I ever imagined he could. I thought we'd still finish outside the top 4, and we won't. I'm pleased about that - no agenda from my side. He's proved me wrong. Certain players in the team have proved me wrong - I didn't particularly want Zinchenko and Jesus and questioned what their attitudes would be like coming from City. Got that wrong too. Never had a problem being proven wrong - would rather have an opinion, than be a fence sitter or someone who hedges their bets in a way that they can never be proven wrong.

One thing I will say - and I'm on record for it for 15 years on here - is that I have never, ever, once cheered against Arsenal. I wanted Wenger gone for best part of 10 years and there were many who talked about "the greater good" of us going out of cups, losing big matches......and I never once subscribed to any of that. When West Ham equalised on Sunday, I punched the sofa in utter frustration and spent the rest of the day with the almighty hump.

I don't know who the posts above are aimed at - possibly me, possibly not. I can't speak for other posters. I can explain why I post more when we lose, but from my own perspective it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to be right about a manager or a player. I suspect others feel the same. Those that don't, and genuinely want us to lose to prove some sort of point can all f+++ right off too as far as I'm concerned, but I suspect they are in a very slender minority

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:

So be a man and name them - dont post bollox having a pop at people and think that you can pass it off cos you were "on the piss" (a common excuse with you). You had a pop at me lately and then 2 days ago had some veiled dig about "frenzy" posting - I have been the opposite of frenzy and said so because I never expected us to challenge for the title much less win it. People like you rot my arse because you have been openly negative about managers and players in the past, but I guess negativity is ok when you say it is eh :roll: Forums are meant to be about people expressing their opinions but some people only respect opinions that agree with theirs - if that is what you and others want, then maybe set up a forum or chat room of your own, otherwise accept that not everyone is the same and when somebody posts something you disagree with, maybe you should respectfully tell them why you think they are wrong instead of going on a rant.

Maybe what is annoying you most is that the fans who you disagree with are looking likely to be proved right - does that bother you more than the fact that we will have missed a chance ? I keep reading bollox about how the negative posters are all focused on being proved right, but this is only ever trotted out by the fans who are being proved wrong. I have never seen any poster from any side say "hey I was right and you were wrong", but all I see is frustrated comments about the team or manager, so maybe it is only the glass half full brigade who are focused on being right or wrong ? :rubchin: