West Ham Mf A Sun 16th April KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: West Ham Mf A Sun 16th April KO 2pm

Post by rodders999 »

City’s league form since the champions league knock out stages began - played 9 won 8 drawn 1, if that’s them being less focused on the league we’re well and truly fucked Augie!

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:05 pm

If you want to go down that road you should acknowledge that this season we are only competing with a champs league obsessed city who are less focused on the premier league than in seasons gone by, and that next season there will without doubt be another 2 or 3 teams minimum that we will have to compete with
You say City are “less focused on the PL” but they have a guy shattering the PL goals record and *if* we are going to win the league we will need over 90 points to beat them. Haven’t only Liverpool in 18/19 and 21/22 ever got over 90 points and not won it?

Sure, who knows what will happen next season but this season would simply not be the same as Leicester winning it easily with 81 points when Spurs and Arsenal imploded.

Anyway, we can wait and have this debate in May hopefully!

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm

We have 7 games remaining - I'd argue our 'seize the moment' now is akin to a tournament format
Well much harder to get where we are now than to enter the FA Cup but yeah that has to be the team’s mentality… it’s still right there for them so let’s see what they are made of.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:24 pm
City’s league form since the champions league knock out stages began - played 9 won 8 drawn 1, if that’s them being less focused on the league we’re well and truly fucked Augie!
Was gonna say the same the cl has only got tough now.group stage is a peice of piss for them!!

I assumed Steveo and augie you would both say no he shouldnt be in charge such has been the vociferousness of your posts on this thread, yes I get its dissasfatication at us potentially likely blowing it and the sheer frustration of it.

As I say next season is where all will be revealed on the quality of this team plus some proper signings, regardless of what happens this season even of we were to win it amd the legenadsry statis that would attain the team and manager.

Is xhaka a barometer though falkirk he has fooled so many managers he must be doing some oodo shit or something!!

Let's hope we are right in the mix again next year and this season where we have all been reenagaged and caring again becomes the norm once more.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Holy shit the oil money has landed in UEFAs account

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:

The point I was making rodders, is that this season city seem to be fixated on champs league and that they have dropped silly points in the league that they wouldnt have dropped in other years - had they not done so then they might be out of sight by now

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Maybe but we suffered most form the World Cup, how many extra points would we have if we hadn’t lost Jesus because of that?

And we’ve also been impacted badly by European football, how many extra points would we have if we hadn’t lost Saliba?

You can’t just say other teams have been impacted/less focused without mentioning the fact that we have too.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:58 pm
Maybe but we suffered most form the World Cup, how many extra points would we have if we hadn’t lost Jesus because of that?

And we’ve also been impacted badly by European football, how many extra points would we have if we hadn’t lost Saliba?

You can’t just say other teams have been impacted/less focused without mentioning the fact that we have too.

We've been impacted cos of a small squad - city have been impacted cos their focus has been elsewhere. One of those things is avoidable and one isnt

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:12 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Was gonna say the same the cl has only got tough now.group stage is a peice of piss for them!!

I assumed Steveo and augie you would both say no he shouldnt be in charge such has been the vociferousness of your posts on this thread, yes I get its dissasfatication at us potentially likely blowing it and the sheer frustration of it.

As I say next season is where all will be revealed on the quality of this team plus some proper signings, regardless of what happens this season even of we were to win it amd the legenadsry statis that would attain the team and manager.

Is xhaka a barometer though falkirk he has fooled so many managers he must be doing some oodo shit or something!!

Let's hope we are right in the mix again next year and this season where we have all been reenagaged and caring again becomes the norm once more.
It is possible to be frustrated at something without having an AFTV child like reaction that every defeat or mistake should end in a sacking or a mass clear out. I think we have players who don't have the right mentality and are starting to prove it again. Partey and Gabriel are two who always get huge plaudits and yet on the biggest stage when the heat is on, they seem to fold. They can be part of a top 4 team, but will they ever be the men to get us through a tight game at City, a vital European tie or win the league?

Arteta has done very well getting us to this position - no doubt. But...where does he go from here if we do come 2nd? Do it the Arsene way and cuddle them all, or push for 1st and make some seemingly ruthless changes

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:09 am
BFG4 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:33 am
A forum like this can be therapeutic, particularly when you're pissed off after a bad result. Posting more when we lose has little to do with a level of fandom but more to do with not needing to say much when we win. No one on here wants to see the club lose, and posts claiming they do tend to be from 'super fans' who get frustrated because they are overly positive and most on here aren't. If you don't like what someone is saying then don't engage with them.

Sid isnt a superfan - he is a hypocrite who used to bitch and slate on here as much as anyone did, but now that he has "seen the light", we are all supposed to agree with him or be damned otherwise :roll:
No Augie!
I have been happy to see us lose when it was for the greater good, ie, to get rid of Wenger when he was harming the club!
When Emery was taking us nowhere and the dressing room was running the team, because he wasn't strong enough!
You however and others on here, seem hell fucking bent on seeing Arteta fail, when in fact he has transformed us into title challengers in just a few years!
What the fuck do you want Augie? You are a nutter!
I am going to block your posts because I honestly can't trust myself to read another single one of your negative hate fuelled rants again , without posting something I would regret!

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:58 pm

Also that biege big nosed bastard Southgate was flogging Saka for 2 full 90mins whilst Haaland, Foden, and Grealish were all getting a nice rest during the last international break

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Blimey been away a few days and the forums gone mad.

Its Arteta out
Saka out
Gabriel Out
TIierney out
Odegaard out
Augie and Sid fallen out :shock:

I couldn't face any football site after that shocker Sunday for a while. It is what it is , looks like we may fall short , been a great effort.

I said before Saliba will cost us and argued with my mate we should never have played him .
However I cannot understand why ESR isnt getting a chance to change a game , he has a proven track record for it , I just hope he Arteta sees the light as before when he was in trouble. I'll be fuming if he leaves.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:08 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:09 am
BFG4 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:33 am
A forum like this can be therapeutic, particularly when you're pissed off after a bad result. Posting more when we lose has little to do with a level of fandom but more to do with not needing to say much when we win. No one on here wants to see the club lose, and posts claiming they do tend to be from 'super fans' who get frustrated because they are overly positive and most on here aren't. If you don't like what someone is saying then don't engage with them.

Sid isnt a superfan - he is a hypocrite who used to bitch and slate on here as much as anyone did, but now that he has "seen the light", we are all supposed to agree with him or be damned otherwise :roll:
No Augie!
I have been happy to see us lose when it was for the greater good, ie, to get rid of Wenger when he was harming the club!
When Emery was taking us nowhere and the dressing room was running the team, because he wasn't strong enough!
You however and others on here, seem hell fucking bent on seeing Arteta fail, when in fact he has transformed us into title challengers in just a few years!
What the fuck do you want Augie? You are a nutter!
I am going to block your posts because I honestly can't trust myself to read another single one of your negative hate fuelled rants again , without posting something I would regret!
BOOM! BOSH! Well Said Sid. :cheekkiss:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:47 am
Putting my own view across - I've openly admitted in the past that my level of posting increases when we're doing badly. Its the reason I joined in 2008 to start with. From my own perspective, its almost like a form of therapy - letting it all out, mostly having a bit of a laugh and the old 'safety in numbers' thing of knowing that other people are as equally fucked off as you.

The flip side of that is I've always been amongst the first on here to hold my hands up if I've been wrong about a particular match prediction, player, manager etc......and if we win the league and Arteta is carried on a throne around the stadium, I will very happily admit I got it wrong about him as a manager. To an extent - and I've said this in posts back to Augie for example - he has already done better than I ever imagined he could. I thought we'd still finish outside the top 4, and we won't. I'm pleased about that - no agenda from my side. He's proved me wrong. Certain players in the team have proved me wrong - I didn't particularly want Zinchenko and Jesus and questioned what their attitudes would be like coming from City. Got that wrong too. Never had a problem being proven wrong - would rather have an opinion, than be a fence sitter or someone who hedges their bets in a way that they can never be proven wrong.

One thing I will say - and I'm on record for it for 15 years on here - is that I have never, ever, once cheered against Arsenal. I wanted Wenger gone for best part of 10 years and there were many who talked about "the greater good" of us going out of cups, losing big matches......and I never once subscribed to any of that. When West Ham equalised on Sunday, I punched the sofa in utter frustration and spent the rest of the day with the almighty hump.

I don't know who the posts above are aimed at - possibly me, possibly not. I can't speak for other posters. I can explain why I post more when we lose, but from my own perspective it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to be right about a manager or a player. I suspect others feel the same. Those that don't, and genuinely want us to lose to prove some sort of point can all f+++ right off too as far as I'm concerned, but I suspect they are in a very slender minority
Good healthy balance there, can't argue with that.

At some point, we will all say stuff about Arsenal and get it wrong. The fans that wind me up (and I don't just mean on this forum but in general) are those who dismiss someone/something about the club and get made to look stupid but forget what they said(or deny it), only to highlight something they said that came out to be true. Confirmation bias I believe is the term.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

This place is good for a vent. I also don’t tend to get too up about wins as I don’t want to come back to earth with a bump when we inevitably cock it up. Must be some sort of self preservation mechanism I have.

I love Arsenal and desperately want us to do it. I feel like I’m badly disappointed in us as I think we had the opportunity to win the League. I’m pretty certain we’ve blown it and I’m heartbroken.