Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:04 pm
Arteta, he's supposedly a football genius but starts Xhaka every week

Yet strangely we missed Xhaka last night and the worrying thing that when he is missing there is no ready made replacement . Jorginho was bought in to back up Partey but surely he was a better alternative than Vieira to keep the midfield strong for the first hour and then if you want to bring on more supposedly talented players you could bring on either Vieira or preferably Smith- Rowe .
If we want a touch player next year Vieira can be replaced with Patino who at least having bulked up is not a push over and just as talented.
Arteta under estimated Southampton last night and he made the same mistakes that he made against Bournemouth .
Common denominator :- Both at the bottom .

When I voiced concerns about signing jorginho I had a few misguided fools on here stating that jorginho is an upgrade on the swiss c.unt and is being brought in to reduce xhaka's game time - nobody will be brought in to reduce the swiss turds game time as long as the basque fool is in charge, cos he openly pinned his colours to xhaka's mast and will not back down in that commitment regardless of how many times he fcuks up :roll:
Last night you either start Tierney and move zinchenko into midfield, or you drop odeargod into xhaka's position and you start smith-rowe - the one thing you do not do is start the portugese pussy cos that would be insane, and yet that is what happened :evil:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:21 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:32 am
goonersid wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:46 am
Gutted!
We still have a chance, though it looks very unlikely given the current lack of confidence.
Still nice to see the usual suspects on here, slagging off the team who have given us far more than we ever expected at the start of the season.
In particular our keeper, who has for me been our player of the season, winning us more points than I can count.
He made a mistake last night, so now he is shit!
If we do fail, then I still think we gave it a real go.
The childish spoilt brats on here will just have to learn to accept defeat!
Arseholes!
Sid seriously, why not just comment on the games and players or whatever, instead of constantly having digs at members of the forum? What good does that do? People have different opinions. You're just gonna have to accept that mate.
It's a bit ironic as sid was one of thr most negative anti Arteta on here!

Let get along as dB seems to be the sole mod these days and we wouldnt want the wee fella getting worn out. Wtf is Singapore gooner. Did you 'quartz' him db???!!
I wasn't anti-arteta when he was appointed, i doubted his appointment, but was willing to back him until it was obvious that he wasnt up to it!
I thought that seemed obvious towards the end of last season!
He has however , performed a miracle this season!
We're not beat yet, no matter what so many of the so called fans on here like to believe!
As for their "opinions" DB10?
They're not opinions, they're "agendas"
I'd love to see how they'd celebrate if we could win it, compared to their joy if shiteh beat us on Wednesday!
You're not Arsenal fans!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Which block do you sit in at Arsenal Sid?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I'm usually posting at the end of these match threads, so it's all been said already. Still, here's my two penn'orth.

I never believed we would win the league (I think few on here did) even though we've exceeded expectations all seasons....well, until the last fortnight anyway...but having put ourselves in the box seat, I could accept finishing a close second to City, but didn't want to stomach a Wenger-like end of season collapse. I could convince myself to write off the Liverpool game as a point gained, given how difficult it is to play there, but West Ham and last night were disastrous and there can be no excuses.

Maybe some of the reactions on here have been a little extreme, but the last two games have highlighted the same old weaknesses, which after 15 years or so of this sort of pain, have given us a hair trigger reaction to these capitulations. In truth, we've been punching well above our weight this season and carried along by a spirit that we hadn't seen since the Invincibles. Ultimately, it's impossible to sustain and the underlying lack of quality in certain areas comes calling.

Everyone on here knows I have serious doubts about Ramsdale and I can never shake the "accident waiting to happen" feeling. He was brilliant at Liverpool, but he should have done better with the Hammer's second goal and last night's shocker cost us the 3 points. I'm not going to go into a forensic analysis about him, I've made all the points before and plenty of others are making them too.

I can't dislike Holding, he seems a decent lad, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Likewise Eddie. They're Championship players and it says a lot about us that they are first reserves.

I can't quite make out what to think about Zinchenko, but as others have said, he doesn't appear to be a fullback.

I've never been convinced by Partey and was totally underwhelmed in his first couple of seasons. Even when many were raving about him earlier in the season I thought that he was better than we'd seen before, but by no means a world beater. For a big bloke, he's far from dominant in midfield and his lack of goals is awful.

Odegaard is a quality footballer, technically adept, neat and clever, but as we all knpw, disappears when the going gets tough. He won't make a captain in a million years.

Jesus is another very talented footballer, but as I said on here when we bought him, he isn't a natural goalscorer and misses too many clear opportunities. You didn't need to be a genius to see that, it was obvious at City. If you can't score enough goals with the abundance of chances that City provide, then you're gonna struggle big time at our place. A good player, but we absolutely must add a goalscorer in the Summer.

Xhaka and Vieira.... :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :banghead: :banghead:

As for Arteta, he's got to make sure we challenge next season, which won't be easy. I can never be fully convinced by any mamager that is wedded to Xhaka and his team selections are mystifying. Playing Vieira last night, with Trossard and ESR on the bench is beyond belief and how the bloke lasted until the 60th or 70th minute is fucking staggering. He was absolutely woeful. He's not ready for this league by a mile and I have doubts that he ever will be. I also can't understand Arteta's reluctance to play ESR and it's clear that he has never fancied him. All this talk about discipline or overweight etc seems like pure speculation and if there have been reports of such things, I haven't seen them. Bottom line, if you're behind Xhaka and Vieira, then it's time to leave the club and shine somewhere else. At the end of last season, I'd have sacked Arteta and despite the recent stumble, I have to give him a lot of credit for this season. As painful as the last fortnight has been, viewed overall, it's been a season of unforeseen progression (the proviso being that we have to stop the rot after the City game, which we'll lose) and Arteta has earned the right to lead us into next season and to build on this term.

Up The Gunners.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Who is going to stand up to stop this rot?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:51 pm
I'm usually posting at the end of these match threads, so it's all been said already. Still, here's my two penn'orth.

I never believed we would win the league (I think few on here did) even though we've exceeded expectations all seasons....well, until the last fortnight anyway...but having put ourselves in the box seat, I could accept finishing a close second to City, but didn't want to stomach a Wenger-like end of season collapse. I could convince myself to write off the Liverpool game as a point gained, given how difficult it is to play there, but West Ham and last night were disastrous and there can be no excuses.

Maybe some of the reactions on here have been a little extreme, but the last two games have highlighted the same old weaknesses, which after 15 years or so of this sort of pain, have given us a hair trigger reaction to these capitulations. In truth, we've been punching well above our weight this season and carried along by a spirit that we hadn't seen since the Invincibles. Ultimately, it's impossible to sustain and the underlying lack of quality in certain areas comes calling.

Everyone on here knows I have serious doubts about Ramsdale and I can never shake the "accident waiting to happen" feeling. He was brilliant at Liverpool, but he should have done better with the Hammer's second goal and last night's shocker cost us the 3 points. I'm not going to go into a forensic analysis about him, I've made all the points before and plenty of others are making them too.

I can't dislike Holding, he seems a decent lad, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Likewise Eddie. They're Championship players and it says a lot about us that they are first reserves.

I can't quite make out what to think about Zinchenko, but as others have said, he doesn't appear to be a fullback.

I've never been convinced by Partey and was totally underwhelmed in his first couple of seasons. Even when many were raving about him earlier in the season I thought that he was better than we'd seen before, but by no means a world beater. For a big bloke, he's far from dominant in midfield and his lack of goals is awful.

Odegaard is a quality footballer, technically adept, neat and clever, but as we all knpw, disappears when the going gets tough. He won't make a captain in a million years.

Jesus is another very talented footballer, but as I said on here when we bought him, he isn't a natural goalscorer and misses too many clear opportunities. You didn't need to be a genius to see that, it was obvious at City. If you can't score enough goals with the abundance of chances that City provide, then you're gonna struggle big time at our place. A good player, but we absolutely must add a goalscorer in the Summer.

Xhaka and Vieira.... :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :banghead: :banghead:

As for Arteta, he's got to make sure we challenge next season, which won't be easy. I can never be fully convinced by any mamager that is wedded to Xhaka and his team selections are mystifying. Playing Vieira last night, with Trossard and ESR on the bench is beyond belief and how the bloke lasted until the 60th or 70th minute is fucking staggering. He was absolutely woeful. He's not ready for this league by a mile and I have doubts that he ever will be. I also can't understand Arteta's reluctance to play ESR and it's clear that he has never fancied him. All this talk about discipline or overweight etc seems like pure speculation and if there have been reports of such things, I haven't seen them. Bottom line, if you're behind Xhaka and Vieira, then it's time to leave the club and shine somewhere else. At the end of last season, I'd have sacked Arteta and despite the recent stumble, I have to give him a lot of credit for this season. As painful as the last fortnight has been, viewed overall, it's been a season of unforeseen progression (the proviso being that we have to stop the rot after the City game, which we'll lose) and Arteta has earned the right to lead us into next season and to build on this term.

Up The Gunners.
Can't agree with all of that but it's mostly a fair and balanced assessment of things on the whole. We'll put Retro. 8)

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Ultimately there’s nothing any of us can do.

Even supporting in the stadium isn’t having much of an effect. Can’t legislate for last night. Crowd pushed them on. It’s up to the team now. Not convinced it will improve. Think they’ve gone.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Even supporting in the stadium isn’t having much of an effect. Can’t legislate for last night. Crowd pushed them on. It’s up to the team now. Not convinced it will improve. Think they’ve gone.
Gotta be honest I was disgusted at the amount of our so called supporters that were walking out at 1-3. We've slated the plastic mancs for that on here for years. Some of the stupid cùnts came running back in when we scored our second. Shameful wánkers. :oops: :censored:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:53 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Gotta be honest I was disgusted at the amount of our so called supporters that were walking out at 1-3. We've slated the plastic mancs for that on here for years. Some of the stupid cùnts came running back in when we scored our second. Shameful wánkers. :oops: :censored:
It was a disgrace. Agreed.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Wtf is this "Internal Error" crap that keeps popping up when trying to post replies? Fucking irritating.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:44 pm
Wtf is this "Internal Error" crap that keeps popping up when trying to post replies? Fucking irritating.
I remember the days of "internal solutions."

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:48 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Remember it well, when the senile old prick had fully lost the plot and talked about two transfer markets - one internal and one external. Was up there with rotational leadership and special circumstances!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:05 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Remember it well, when the senile old prick had fully lost the plot and talked about two transfer markets - one internal and one external. Was up there with rotational leadership and special circumstances!
Players who were better than Vieira.

Alex Song
Denilson
Flamini
Diaby

I am mystified at what it is someone has seen in the bloke. He has got to be worse than Pepe by some distance.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
And "expected goals" The crap we had to put up with :? :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:18 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Players who were better than Vieira.

Alex Song
Denilson
Flamini
Diaby

I am mystified at what it is someone has seen in the bloke. He has got to be worse than Pepe by some distance.
You forgot Sanogo the Postman! :?