What is success for modern Arsenal?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: What is success for modern Arsenal?

Post by BobbyPires7 »

My view has been steadfast all along. Carry on with a lead going into City and try to squeak over the line. We have blown it at West Ham. Totally unforgivable given we had a penalty to go 3-1 up. That miss destroyed the side’s faith. It showed all through the second half. If we were leading a side like United in the title race who were prone to draws and losses I would say yes we are still favourites. But we aren’t. We are battling against City. Do you really think this side can win 6 out of 7 and draw the other one (at City)? Be honest with yourselves. Are we in the type of form to do that? Without Saliba. With a Partey and Xhaka midfield fulcrum. With a Saka who is on vapours? I think City can win the league drawing with us because I reckon we will drop points elsewhere anyway. I’d make us longer odds for the title than the bookies have us.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Let’s say we replaced Holding, Partey, Xhaka with world class players. The same players being proper leaders/winners. Do you reckon we can kick on next season? Or are we a few seasons away with slow and steady progress?

I reckon we fight for top 4 next season with a renaissance from some other sides plus fatigue from Champions League.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:00 am
Let’s say we replaced Holding, Partey, Xhaka with world class players. The same players being proper leaders/winners. Do you reckon we can kick on next season? Or are we a few seasons away with slow and steady progress?

I reckon we fight for top 4 next season with a renaissance from some other sides plus fatigue from Champions League.
i think we are in an era that we are not used to really. This season as good as it is likely to get in the league.
It is almost impossible for anyone to compete with City apart from Newcastle who are also going to continue to splash the cash.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:13 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:

i think we are in an era that we are not used to really. This season as good as it is likely to get in the league.
It is almost impossible for anyone to compete with City apart from Newcastle who are also going to continue to splash the cash.
A quick look at the Toon Forum and all every poster talks about is “when they sign their new sponsorship deals” they will go supersonic. This is what we are competing against. Sportswashing in the form of multiple sponsorship deals from related parties. City Mark 2 in other words.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

A quick look at the Toon Forum and all every poster talks about is “when they sign their new sponsorship deals” they will go supersonic. This is what we are competing against. Sportswashing in the form of multiple sponsorship deals from related parties. City Mark 2 in other words.
yes and then the "top 4 is a trophy" might become valid sadly.
it will be interesting to see how the other European clubs react - i know a lot of them are getting annoyed by the wealth of the British clubs

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:46 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

yes and then the "top 4 is a trophy" might become valid sadly.
it will be interesting to see how the other European clubs react - i know a lot of them are getting annoyed by the wealth of the British clubs

And are happy to suckle off the money tit of the premier league clubs in europe - if european clubs had integrity (laughable theory I know) and genuine interest of diluting the influence of wealthy english clubs, then they should look to return the champs league format to just the champs from every country being in it, but the madrids and bayerns of this world wont do that cos it will impact them financially too. Buying a premier league club is so enticing to all these mega wealthy people, but ask yourself if they would be as willing to do it if only one club was gonna be in champions league, or would they view it is too high a risk to justify the level of investment required ? People like wiggy dont need their clubs to win trophies cos the financial gains of just finishing top 4 is so massive that they dont need to invest billions and only need to spend enough to get 4th for the mega income to flow - if only the winners (and maybe runners up) played in champions league, then that raises the bar for clubs and demands more investment every single season, and I just dont think any shrewd investor would sign up for that.
UEFA now is a cartel monopoly that are driven by greed and not success, and to try and ward off a european super league they are trying to create a new format that will throw more money at clubs, and whilst clubs will rightly give out about wealthy english clubs ruining the game, they will still show they own greed by grabbing all the money they can get thus compounding the problem :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal are set to earn £159.8m for finishing 2nd in the Premier League

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:55 pm
Arsenal are set to earn £159.8m for finishing 2nd in the Premier League
Much of it will go on pay rises and signing a couple of new players.

NickF

Post by NickF »

With City winning their 5th title in 6 years, the Premier League is pretty much dead. The only team who can realistically challenge them will be Newcastle who are just as pimped, but even that will probably take a few seasons.

City apparently have a few hundred FFP breaches that they are being investigated for but we all know nothing we happen as they will pay off the right people.

For the rest of us, we could spend 200m this summer but City could spend 400m and get away with it.

Really not much interest in Football at all now.

So success is probably winning a cup..