What is success for modern Arsenal?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

What is success for modern Arsenal?

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Obviously it’s premature to say we won’t win the title (I personally don’t think we will).

So in an era of City. What is it that will be considered success? I reckon it’s the FA Cup. Bizarrely we had chances to win the Europa by being average. Now we are back in the Champions League we aren’t winning the Europa. Can we win the Champions League? I don’t think so based on how Arteta sets us up in Cup games. The League? I think we’ve overachieved and look like still coming up short. League Cup? Possibly.

I sort of get why Liverpool fans felt so put out when they lost leagues to City having got 90 plus points.

This was our year and I reckon we’ve blown it.

SteveO 35

Re: What is success for modern Arsenal?

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'd always rather win something- EL, League Cup or FA cup than I'd ever want to finish 4th

Sadly being league runners up and being shit in the cups will never be success for me

However, for modern Arsenal the top 4 is everything

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Unless something happens with City I don’t see how we can go back to titles. They basically established themselves (fraudulently) and are now operating profitably (again fraudulently). With a competent manager in Guardiola no one is going to get close to them. Sad but true.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I’ve said it a few times that city could kill interest in the league by winning it every year like Bayern have done in Germany. Who gives a fuck who wins the Bundesliga? Nobody because it’s always Bayern. Likewise if city are gonna piss it every year people will stop caring, especially when they’ve unlimited spending power to boot.

All the top players and even managers from other teams in Germany eventually get hoovered up by Bayern and they’re now on track to win the league for the 11th season in a row. Yawn.

If you know at the start of that the season that one team will run away with it and even if by some miracle they don’t they’ll just spend 500 million and win it at a canter the year after then what’s the fucking point?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The Premier League either go all out to take City down a peg or two or their “product” will be like a single horse version of the Scottish Premier League.

The biggest joke I heard in the last week was from a City fan at work telling me that Haaland cost less than Jesus. Conveniently leaving out his £900k per week wages.

The game’s gone Jeff…

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Thing is the Scottish league/Bundeliga analogy doesn’t quite work. While City are top of the tree, there are 5 or 6 other financial big guns including ourselves with the potential to capitalise on slip ups. The absolute Old Firm duopoly / Bayern monopoly isn’t replicable here - at least not yet. So what is required of the other 19 teams in the league is that when Man City do display weakness and have a very slightly below par season you must take your chance to capitalise. Over the next twenty years will be the difference between the chasing pack Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea - winning one, two, three league titles - or winning zero.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

For me, it was always about being in the Community Shield at the start of the season and being in the Champions League. In the distant past, you would have to win one or two trophies to do that, but nowadays possible without winning anything. Echoes of 1999…

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Next season will be twice as hard as this season. Apart from City the oppo was basically non-existent.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Probably from next season getting any kind of leftover scraps from the inevitable Middle Eastern domination of the English game.

The football landscape is changing massively with Man City, Newcastle, have a horrible feeling about Spurs probably getting some state backed billions takeover in the future, and then finally Man U once the Glazers finally sell.

We'll still be there or thereabouts but it'll be harder and harder to win the top trophies.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Strange that some punters on here are stating that the situations at the other so called big 6 teams was relevant this season. When I suggested this earlier in the season I was slaughtered for being negative and having "an agenda". :roll: :lol:

The fact is that we had an opportunity this season because so many of the big 6 teams were underperforming or in transition etc and next season many of those teams will have improved.

If we do not win the league this year I honestly can't see us winning it for another decade or until a top experienced manager comes in and is given billions to compete with the pimped clubs. Maybe that is a bit negative but I honestly feel that might be the case.

I applaud Artetas efforts this year but I still feel he is not experienced enough to be at Arsenal. He should not have been given Arsenal as his first job. But that horse has bolted and we are where we are.

Are we prepared to keep faith in Arteta and wait for him to learn enough to take us to the next stage?

Hopefully Arteta proves me completely wrong and wins the league.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:17 pm
Strange that some punters on here are stating that the situations at the other so called big 6 teams was relevant this season. When I suggested this earlier in the season I was slaughtered for being negative and having "an agenda". :roll: :lol:

The fact is that we had an opportunity this season because so many of the big 6 teams were underperforming or in transition etc and next season many of those teams will have improved.

If we do not win the league this year I honestly can't see us winning it for another decade or until a top experienced manager comes in and is given billions to compete with the pimped clubs. Maybe that is a bit negative but I honestly feel that might be the case.

I applaud Artetas efforts this year but I still feel he is not experienced enough to be at Arsenal. He should not have been given Arsenal as his first job. But that horse has bolted and we are where we are.

Are we prepared to keep faith in Arteta and wait for him to learn enough to take us to the next stage?

I thought you were bang on the nail DB. If the scousers and the chavs had been playing at their previously established level of game etc we wouldn't be anywhere near Top Spot.

And sadly some Gooners may never get to see our team be Champions again if we don't achieve that remarkable feat this season. Which is why the 2 recent games (draws) hurt so much :cry:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

No one is mentioning the massive elephants in the room, the corruption & fraud of the Oil Cheats & the Chav Nazi scum. They have stolen many league titles between the pair of them, the feckin shyster thieving scumbags! :banghead: :banghead:

Any success against either of these scummy bastards should be celebrated & commemorated. It is a disgrace that these two fraudulent clubs have been allowed to destroy the integrity of English football for the last few decades. :cussing:

The media & newspapers are also complicit & on the take, they have failed to expose the fraud & protect the rest of the clubs. :box:

That's my analysis of what success in the modern game means for Arsenal. It's all relative in this day & age & this exact subject should always be at the forefront of such a question. :rubchin:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:29 pm
No one is mentioning the massive elephants in the room, the corruption & fraud of the Oil Cheats & the Chav Nazi scum. They have stolen many league titles between the pair of them, the feckin shyster thieving scumbags! :banghead: :banghead:

Any success against either of these scummy bastards should be celebrated & commemorated. It is a disgrace that these two fraudulent clubs have been allowed to destroy the integrity of English football for the last few decades. :cussing:

The media & newspapers are also complicit & on the take, they have failed to expose the fraud & protect the rest of the clubs. :box:

That's my analysis of what success in the modern game means for Arsenal. It's all relative in this day & age & this exact subject should always be at the forefront of such a question. :rubchin:
I’ve mentioned it all through the thread. It’s the basis of the question. We can’t compete on the level they are funded to. This season was a blip for them. We missed our chance. I agree with DB. We will not win the title for a decade at least. All because a bloke can’t be bothered to concentrate taking a penalty.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

The last opportunity we had like this was in 2016 when Liverpool, City and the Chavs were appointing new managers. But we stuck with Lord Wanker and his perennial bunch of bottlejobs and allowed Leicester to walk off with the title. Its a rare thing that so many big clubs have an off season all together. Take this opportunity or it could be another 19+ years goes without a sniff

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

The last opportunity we had like this was in 2016 when Liverpool, City and the Chavs were appointing new managers. But we stuck with Lord Wanker and his perennial bunch of bottlejobs and allowed Leicester to walk off with the title. Its a rare thing that so many big clubs have an off season all together. Take this opportunity or it could be another 19+ years goes without a sniff
I reckon after our last 2 games our chance has gone :cry: Ive never allowed myself to truly believe cos of all the previous seasons (I did get excited a tad when the dippers went a goal up at their place the other week) but that feeling was swiftly extinguished.Weve dipped into the well with some belting late wins this season 8) but I think the dips into the well have dried up looking at our 4 pts dropped in the last couple of games.