Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

All that's happening fellas is that City are now enjoying the monopoly position that PSG, Bayern, Rangers/Celtic, Benfica, Ajax and others have had in their domestic games for spells often lasting a decade or more.

For all the moralising that goes on, those leagues have allowed that to happen and remove any element of fair competition. Fuck me, the TV distribution rights in most of those countries are more uneven than they are here!

No change is coming- whether City win 5 from 6, 9 from 10, 19 from 20

Not enforceable and in the unlikely event they tried, the world's most expensive legal team would sue the arse out of them and drag it to the high court over a period of years

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Shit that was meant to be “1 point ahead of Man Utd. Fuck me, imagine Man Utd winning the league this season after we fail to win a single one of our last ten games. That would finish me off. Though I guess the reactions from the City fans would almost be worth it.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

If you ever venture over to Blue Moon they are utterly convinced that money has nothing to do with their success. All legit. All hard earned and won. Proper run club. Nothing to see here. Self-sustainable. Yada yada yada. It’s frightening to witness to be honest.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:16 pm
All that's happening fellas is that City are now enjoying the monopoly position that PSG, Bayern, Rangers/Celtic, Benfica, Ajax and others have had in their domestic games for spells often lasting a decade or more.

For all the moralising that goes on, those leagues have allowed that to happen and remove any element of fair competition. Fuck me, the TV distribution rights in most of those countries are more uneven than they are here!

No change is coming- whether City win 5 from 6, 9 from 10, 19 from 20

Not enforceable and in the unlikely event they tried, the world's most expensive legal team would sue the arse out of them and drag it to the high court over a period of years
Would they though? I know fuck all about the law, but if all it needed was a bunch of rich dickhead lawyers, then surely Juventus would have done the same as would Rangers etc. I would think that if the PL and the FA and all the big clubs (not to mention potentially the government) “close ranks” so to speak there would be very, very little any one entity could do about it.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The only thing that gives me hope is that people are starting to turn off from football. With cost of living Sky are genuinely struggling to retain viewers. TV streaming through Netflix etc has broken Sky’s monopoly too. If something looks likely to affect the competitiveness of the league and by default therefore the value of the product then I reckon the Premier League will do something. However what could happen instead is that the Qataris and Saudis are instead allowed to pump in billions through United and The Toon to compete with City. That’s the more likely scenario to make it competitive in my opinion. We can only hope City are taken down a peg or three.

cameron326

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8

Post by cameron326 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:18 pm
If you ever venture over to Blue Moon they are utterly convinced that money has nothing to do with their success. All legit. All hard earned and won. Proper run club. Nothing to see here. Self-sustainable. Yada yada yada. It’s frightening to witness to be honest.
Yeah, I took a look over there. As you say - they’re absolutely revelling in it. Make no mistake, they see themselves as a Big Club now and they couldn’t give a flying fuck about financial fair play or how they achieved that status. Man Utd for one ought to be seriously worried because I can see them pulling level, both in terms of trophies and the brand/“esteem” by around 2040. I see nearly as many young kids with City shirts as I do Man Utd these days.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I said before the game that the only change would be Xhaka for Viera...one nobody for another. And the tactics?? Why hell, the same ones, the same players, that same gameplan that cost us against Saints and WH. This was our Leicester moment....and we blew it. Our younger fans who aren't aware of the last 2 decades will think we'll be right there again next season. We won't, not until we get some hardened leaders, some steel in the midfield and in the backline.

Arteta doesn't seem to have learned one single thing from the 3 games prior to tonight. I would say it is impossible to win the PL with the likes of Holding, Viera, Xhaka Zinchenko and Jesus as the number one striker in your team. Does Arteta know that, I don't think so. As Augie pointed out earlier, half the shit in the side, he's only recently bought :? :?

I think we'll struggle against Chelsea, we'll be absolutely petrified up at Newcastle, and lose,......... then when it is statistically impossible to win the title, we'll steamroll a couple of teams right at the fag end of the season. After all, we play wonderful football when there is nothing at stake and no pressure. This is not that much different from one of the Wenger years, except this season we were really in the hunt for long periods. With Wenger, the roof always fell in in February.
Last edited by xisstential on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:23 pm
The only thing that gives me hope is that people are starting to turn off from football. With cost of living Sky are genuinely struggling to retain viewers. TV streaming through Netflix etc has broken Sky’s monopoly too. If something looks likely to affect the competitiveness of the league and by default therefore the value of the product then I reckon the Premier League will do something. However what could happen instead is that the Qataris and Saudis are instead allowed to pump in billions through United and The Toon to compete with City. That’s the more likely scenario to make it competitive in my opinion. We can only hope City are taken down a peg or three.
Yep. No matter what the City fans protest, their victories just do not feel earned. Simple as. When Salah and Torres was battering us, or Cantona and Giggs etc it absolutely stung, but you knew they’d simply hit a winning formula and we’d get our chance to rebuild and battle again in a few seasons. This just feels like a wrongun though. There was no evolutionary period. Just an injection of a billion quid. Nabbing the best manager. Hoovering up two first teams of talent, finishing with Haaland. It actually stings less, because you just know it’s bullshit.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Every cloud has a silver lining. Arsenal have qualified for the European Cup. City haven’t.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Nothing was done 20 years ago FFP PL Chelsea,look we took 0/6pts v City, we dropped other pts recently no excuses but reality without us at least putting up a show for 30 games this season would of been over a month after the WC break. Most didn't see us getting top 4 fuck it, is what it is.

We have some obvious squad weakness, us like others are going to have to spend the bones of 100-150m, two three players to remain 'in the mix'.

Clubs even with unlimited funds Citeeh are just buying icing on the cake with Haaland but well scouted players Akanji, Alvarez that's smart signings. Chelsea clueless 600m spent and have got worse, clueless owner, upset fanbase,spoilt.

Newcastle what a brave, fight from almost relegation to new 'ownership' could well get top 4,what a turnaround two three years if keep building they will be the main challengers to Citeeh, maybe Yernited if they get a similar owner.

Todd Boehly needs to listen to fellow compatriot Kenny Rogers and have 'The Gambler' played on loop.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:31 pm
I said before the game that the only change would be Xhaka for Viera...one nobody for another. And the tactics?? Why hell, the same ones, the same players, that same gameplan that cost us against Saints and WH. This was our Leicester moment....and we blew it. Our younger fans who aren't aware of the last 2 decades will think we'll be right there again next season. We won't, not until we get some hardened leaders, some steel in the midfield and in the backline.

Arteta doesn't seem to have learned one single thing from the 3 games prior to tonight. I would say it is impossible to win the PL with the likes of Holding, Viera, Xhaka Zinchenko and Jesus as the number one striker in your team. Does Arteta know that, I don't think so. As Augie pointed out earlier, half the shit in the side, he's only recently bought :? :?

I think we'll struggle against Chelsea, we'll be absolutely petrified up at Newcastle, and lose,......... then when it is statistically impossible to win the title, we'll steamroll a couple of teams right at the fag end of the season. After all, we play wonderful football when there is nothing at stake and no pressure. This is not that much different from one of the Wenger years, except this season we were really in the hunt for long periods. With Wenger, the roof always fell in in February.
100% on the money my friend

We started the evening praying for the spirit of 89, and what we got was the Spirit of Arsene Wenger 2008-18

Whether it's the non scoring Jesus following in the steps of Giroud, burnt out kids like Saka following Wilshere, senior pros like Holding doing a Mertesacker, and a total lack of in game management or on field leadership, the traits are almost identical

Do you remember the famous photo of the 5 young English talents all signing their contracts (the Ox amongst them), and the AKBs insisting we were on the verge of something special? Well every time we faced a big moment that team shit the bed. Brilliant when the pressure was off, weak as piss physically and mentally when it was on. Substandard signings- Gervinho, Chamakh etc, centre halves who folded (Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen), weak midfielders who got blown away. I watched the game with a mate last night and we said it reminded us of watching the likes of Sender's or Djourou getting smashed around by Drogba. We just woke up in the same nightmare from 10-15 years ago

Holding is 27 - he cost us in our highest pressure game at Spurs last season, and was fucking shit again yesterday. Gabriel flaked every time we were under pressure last year and so it is again this year. Partey and Xhaka are 29 and 30 and whether it's dopey tackles, petty spats, giving the ball away or getting bullied, neither have learnt a thing

This is exactly where we were with Wenger's Calendar Year Champions of 2013. People forget we were top of the league at the end of January 2014 under this new revolution with all these sparkling young players. We ended the season 4th bottling just about every important game before having a mini recovery. 2016 we absolutely bricked it after beating Leicester, before our mini recovery saw us overtake Spurs on the final day for 2nd place after they only proved to be even bigger bottlers - nothing new there

Enjoy celebrating the CL if you're 22 years old like my son, and start thinking it's part of a wonderful new era. For me I see all the hallmarks of 2013 - a losers mentality, chicken shit senior pros, zero flexibility of approach, haunted by a couple of teams (back then United and Chelsea, now Liverpool and City), a manager who signs substandard players that the other top teams don't want

Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003 and spent 118m in his first transfer window and capitalised hundreds of millions of debt every season to keep Chelsea "clean". I joined here in 2008 and argued with just about everyone that the pathetically weak, legally unenforceable FFP rules would have absolutely no bearing and Chelsea would carry on regardless. Well they did and they still are....its just nobody talks about them at the moment because they are fucking shit, but Boehly is carrying on spending hundreds of millions without any consequence. If your only hope is the FA punishing City, you'll die wondering
Last edited by SteveO 35 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

I deliberately chose not to watch or listen to the match last night, because I just knew we would fold like a deck of cards. However, from seeing the 3 minute highlights on YouTube this morning I do have to wonder how rubbish Kiwior must be not to get a game ahead of Holding.

Again, this is only from a few highlights, but it appeared that every goal was Holdings fault. You can’t say that we didn’t call it in the past few weeks. That is what makes it so bloody depressing.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Kingralph wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:25 am
I deliberately chose not to watch or listen to the match last night, because I just knew we would fold like a deck of cards. However, from seeing the 3 minute highlights on YouTube this morning I do have to wonder how rubbish Kiwior must be not to get a game ahead of Holding.

Again, this is only from a few highlights, but it appeared that every goal was Holdings fault. You can’t say that we didn’t call it in the past few weeks. That is what makes it so bloody depressing.
Exactly my thoughts on the Polish lad.I watched it with my gooner mate from over the road and we joked at the end that Holding had been involved directly in all five goals :oops:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I'm away with work so I didn't anything to watch the match on and I'm glad for it.

I never truly believed that we were going to win the league until Jesus scored the second at Liverpool.

Then it went tits up from there on.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Ray C wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:37 pm
If they manage to get a couple sent off in the first half we should win !. No Viera !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Above was a stupid comment - They would probably have still won with 9 on the field, with or without Viera playing !!.
It was no contest. Deep breath & move on. :barscarf: :barscarf: