Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

Post by Midz »

falkirk goon wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:17 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:08 pm
Here is a good stat that I have seen.

Arsenal are the first team for 15 years to not win 4 matches in a row whilst at the top of the league.
The last time this happened was 2008...the team....Arsenal :roll:
I think we're the only ever side to fuck away successive 2 goal leads whilst top of the league aswell :oops:
memories of being 0-4 up at Newcastle springs to mind too.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:08 pm
Here is a good stat that I have seen.

Arsenal are the first team for 15 years to not win 4 matches in a row whilst at the top of the league.
The last time this happened was 2008...the team....Arsenal :roll:
A perfect way to illustrate the point that Arsenal FC 2023 hasn't addressed its mental frailties and lack of leadership in 15 years. As I said last night - we hoped for the spirit of 89 and we got the spirit of Wenger 2008-18

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 am
First of all - SteveO, sorry mate but calling Tomi a fucking awful signing is wrong. He's had a bad season with injuries and poor play and not playing really doesn't help but to lump him in with some of the other crap is just unfair.

I've had time to reflect a bit, my anger has turned to an 'acceptance of the inevitable'......and our 'crumble' was inevitable, I honestly thought it would come 15 games ago or something like that. There are players that I think are a problem and I'll get to them but I want to start with the biggest problem of all......Mikel Arteta.
The main reason we have shit the bed over the last few weeks is all because he treated the Europa league game against Sporting like the CL :banghead: It's a nothing competition, I get giving it a good go if we're in 6th or 7th place because it could be CL but for ages now we have been pretty much nailed on to get a CL place so we should NOT have played such 'strong' teams in such a shit comp. Yes, Big Willy may have hurt his back in the next league game but maybe not, maybe Tomi would have slipped in the next league game, maybe not....

- That decision to treat the Sporting game with any importance cost us BIG time.
- The decision to continually play Xhaka has cost us at various times directly but also indirectly in that he's playing in the place of someone else who
could have helped us win games we haven't won.....
- In game management - Artetas lack of subs, lack of timing, strange/unchanged tactics, inflexibility, stubborn pig-headedness has cost us
- Team selection.......Some we can argue about, some we almost all agree on but at times it's been puzzling and you can't see a reason for what he's done....Vieira? No ESR? No Tirney? Why Xhaka? Zinchenko in the non-LB role even against top top teams? dropping Trossard when he was on fire, not dropping Saka when he was struggling..........
Arteta has got quite a few things right this season of course, but there is a lot that he has got wrong and I'm not sure he sees it that way at all and that means it's unlikely to change.

I was angry with Zinchenko last night but it comes from the fact that I don't really like him, which may be a bit unfair in some ways. He is a decent player but he's not a defender. Period. He cannot defend and it's an appalling decision to play with 3 defenders against top teams (and I'm not talking about 3 CB's)!! It was Zinny going missing/being shit at Anfield when Salah and TAA were running riot in the 2nd half that cost us. He was sound asleep at the back post and cost us the third goal against Southampton. even when in position at LB, Zinchenko can't tackle, his success rate on tackles this season is 43%! Give him a go in midfield instead of Xhaka and it could work, continue with the 'inverted LB' role and we're fucked.

Xhaka.....FFS, why? Everyone in football can see it, he was for sale at 17m and no-one was interested, no-one even tried a 14 or 15m cheeky bid, because they all know he is a liability!!! Everyone but Arteta. :banghead: :banghead:

Vieira - Looks and plays like a talented 12 year old (aside from the facial hair of course), how can he compete against men? He can't, and doesn't.
He's less ready for the Arsenal first team than the likes of Charlie Patino FFS.

Holding - Bless him, his hair transplant constantly outperforms his football. He was a £2m player....and looks it. I'm sure he is a really great guy and he tries, but he's really poor. He may be ok at a bottom 8 PL club but really the championship is his level. If we're serious about competing with City and then Bayern, Madrid etc, the likes of Holding can NEVER be an option, EVER! If he's still at Arsenal next season then we have a massive problem.

There are others, but I've had enough to be honest. It's been an emotional ride following Arsenal this season and now our title has gone I just want it to end. I fear there are a few defeats to come yet and Utd will probably finish quite close to us which will be sad if it happens.

A big big summer ahead, will the Krankys invest with BIG money? Will we be able to raise 100m or so from sales? Well we need a minor miracle to get us back into this position next year. We need a RB/RCB, a LB if we sell Tierney, at least one maybe two CM's and a top top striker (Vlahovic please).
I am expecting Arteta to go for a RB, CM and a right winger and that's it. :banghead:
Tomiyasu was promising before his first injury, but in every game I've seen him in since, he's been absolutely shite. Weak, can't pass, can't cross, gets rinsed - honestly, he has been awful. So awful that a converted CB has kept him out of the side at times even when he has been fit.

On the EL, if we feel like that every time we reach the latter stages - which by definition are always at the business end of the season - we might as well play an academy team right the way though it. I totally disagree by the way - football is about winning and when your last European trophy was 29 years ago, and your 'greatest ever manager' only made 2 European finals in 22 years, frankly we aren't big enough to turn our noses up at the EL. When we're winning CLs and PLs, I might change my view.

Where I do agree is that Arteta has not been able to correct the mental fragility of Wenger's later teams or Emery's team. Whether it was exceeding expectations or not is almost irrelevant - should we be throwing away 2 goal leads to West Ham, and going 1-3 down at home to Southampton. We come at this from different angles as to what the cause of that was, but agree on that point. The fact that the loss of a 21 year old playing his first season in English football has caused a seismic collapse is the shameful thing - whether incurred against Sporting or not is irrelevant. Tomiyasu's injury - meh - it would have meant weakening the RB spot and sticking White in at CB having barely played there all season, and not convinced that would have helped

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

frankly we aren't big enough to turn our noses up at the EL
Agreed, unless we are in a strong position for a bigger prize, with a limited squad, as we were. He put a realistic chance of the PL in jeopardy for a 7 game run in the EL, knowing that an injury in several positions.....CB or an injury to Partey for example could really cost us the bigger prize.
Poor decision I reckon.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Arteta’s failing has been in managing the blow up. He could quite easily have shored us up with experienced players. He didn’t. He let us implode. Vieira against Saints? Really? Ignoring Jorginho, Trossard, ESR, Tierney with Zinchenko pushed further forward. This is very much on Arteta.

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

The picture that sums up last night perfectly

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

KingHenry wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:55 pm
The picture that sums up last night perfectly

bullied by a bloke in a hairband whose only picking on you cause he knows his mates will pick up the slack..........sweet merciful christ..........Imagine grealish trying that with a TA6 or PV4, Partey looks like he's moving in for the snog....most likely practice for where he's heading.

John F

Post by John F »

I read this quote from Arteta shown on the OLG site"We wanted to tweak a few things but they were able to execute and scored an early goal. You have to understand where we’re coming from - we have to be loyal to what has brought us all this way. We’ve done it in the past in different ways and that doesn’t guarantee you anything. It’s time to look in the mirror at what we could have done better - I’m the first one - and go into the next game." This made me think of Wenger when he would not alter his tactics and showed too much faith in some of his players.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:48 pm
frankly we aren't big enough to turn our noses up at the EL
Agreed, unless we are in a strong position for a bigger prize, with a limited squad, as we were. He put a realistic chance of the PL in jeopardy for a 7 game run in the EL, knowing that an injury in several positions.....CB or an injury to Partey for example could really cost us the bigger prize.
Poor decision I reckon.
Winning breeds winning. I've never been a believer of switching form on and off and picking and choosing competitions. The EL was infinitely more winnable than the PL. With respect when we blew it against Sporting we had Liverpool, City, Newcastle, Brighton and more tricky games to face and were always up against a rampant Man City. In the EL we were playing a Portuguese team en route to being in next season's Conference, and barring Man U and possibly Juventus, were faced with a load of also rans we should have blown away. First European trophy in almost two generations and some pressure relieved. CL football in the bag and a trophy to boot. Finish 2nd and no trophy - worse outcome and one that was predictable

Saliba scored in the first game. If we hadn't played Turner, Kiwior, Vieira we might have got the job done in the first leg because they were bang average and in the last 20 minutes when we went for it they were on the ropes. Win 3-1 away and you could rest Saliba with the tie in the bag. But we didn't and the rest is history. As I say, the shame is that a 21 year old lad playing his first season in English football has got injured and triggered a huge collapse. Heaven help us then if he leaves or isn't available for chunks of next season

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:37 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:48 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:31 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:27 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:12 am
I see reality has kicked in and actually I’m not an outlier. We have collapsed. We have reverted to type when it matters. There is no real change year on year other than a good run when we were flat track bullying again.

Nice to see the sensible posters are on board with what was clear a few games ago. When are the shouters going to come on board? This side is nowhere near as good as people think it is. Even when we were winning we were squeaking past teams on adrenaline. We were at peak peak. Now we are probably below our best. Arteta is floundering and we are shot.
The club is at its Liverpool moment where the narrowly missed the title in 2019 despite playing the best football they'd played in the PL in nigh on 30 years. Do you roll over and say "we just can't get past City" or do you find the players, leaders, resolve, balls to make changes and go again and win the league? Are we Liverpool 2019, or Arsenal 2016 when we finished 2nd?

Only the owners and manager can decide what comes next. What is absolutely clear is that the "clear out" that Arteta was praised for will need a second phase because if Holding, Tomiyasu, Clive, Gabriel, Partey, Vieira and a host of other fringe players are going to be exposed to a dual season of PL & CL football, then there is absolutely no hope of being the 2019 Liverpool, and every chance of being Wenger's 2016 pussies
100% agreed. We need the lure of Champions League to go big in the market this summer. Apart from quality we need leaders and players with backbones. If Kroenke backs Arteta and we manage to buy the right players we can kick on as we have the bones of a decent team. If we don’t go out and buy these top players we will revert to the mean. My big worry is Saliba as he has been shown to be our most key player of all. Not Partey. Not Jesus. Saliba. We need him fit and we need another Saliba. Because Gabriel is all over the place and Holding. Well the less said.
I just looked back at the 2016 season - and our results after we beat Leicester 2-1 at home and became favourites to win the league

Man United (a) - lost 3-2, no surprise at all there. Made it 10 years without a win at their place....but opened up all the same mental frailties that had been exposed before. Read on....

After that we lost at home to Swansea 1-2, and between then and the end of the season drew 3-3 at West Ham, 1-1 at home to Palace, drew 0-0 at Sunderland etc.....and I think I'm right in saying Giroud did his disappearing act and went 12 games without scoring. The team were first after matchday 22, and by matchday 33 they were 4th. Then they got 7 points from the last 9 including a draw at City, and swatting poor old Villa 4-0 before the lap of appreciation

2013 anyone?

Top of the league after matchday 24, 4th by matchday 30 and won our last five games in a row scoring 12 goals and conceding 1. Before that the 5-1 mauling at Anfield which exposed all the mental flaws, was followed up with losses at Stoke (shock horror), the 6-0 caning at Stamford Bridge, a 2-2 at home to Swansea, a 3-0 defeat at Everton, before all the pressure was off and we swatted West Ham, Hull, a Mike Ashley version of Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich

New cast members, same issues. Put your house on us absolutely fucking over Forest and Wolves in those last two games. Vieira will probably score a couple and we'll hear about how 2 or 3 players will make it all better again
How did the 2010 and 2008 seasons pan out my auld pal :rubchin: asking for a friend(plus I can't be arsed looking those capitulations up) :lol:
Seeing as you asked so nicely....... :D

The class of 2008 - top of the league after matchday 29 and finished the season in 3rd place......and only after winning the last 4 games by an aggregate score of 10-2 against Reading, Derby, Everton and Sunderland. Of course in our collapse from 1st to 3rd was the now traditional defeat at Chavski, Man Ure, and spunked points in 'nailed on' wins like Middlesbrough, Wigan, Birmingham and Villa :roll:

The class of 2010 - they chose to do it the other way. Win 6 games in a row to be second after matchday 31 and give themselves a title sniff before only winning 1 of the next 6 when the pressure was on including losing at the vermin, Wigan and Blackburn, and drawing with Birmingham. Once the title was gone of course and they were back down to the safety of 3rd and CL in the bag, they duly swatted aside Fulham 4-0 in the last game before the customary Lap of Appreciation

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

At least those that paid a couple of grand to see the last game of the season are guaranteed to see goals and a clean sheet - in those 4 previous bottlejob seasons listed above our last game results were 4 wins against Fulham, Sunderland, Newcastle and Villa with an aggregate score of 10-0.

If anything summarised modern Arsenal ^^^

If they need to update the club motto then "shitting their pants since 2008" would seem appropriate

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Sharte Et Panties.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Dear Jesus, I've read enough shite on here today to do me a lifetime!
We've spent almost the entire season on top of the table!
We've just fallen short!
All the players that have done that are now useless wankers!
The manager, too is a wanker!
The courage the players showed in so many games to come back when we looked beat!
And why? Because we didn't finish above a club bankrolled beyond anything we have seen not just in plge but any league in the world!
We've had some stinking decisions go against us, we've had some really disappointing results in the last few weeks "a draw at anfield"? a draw at w ham" ? and an undeniable dreadful result against soton!
Well at least Augie and Bobby Pires ( how dare he use Pires name) are overjoyed, what a pair of "WUM"
Augie in particular, you're a fucking clown!
Stevo??? FFS don't let yourself be dragged back into that negativity!
Forums are for discussion and different views, this one has been hijacked by people who have egos who have probably been on here too long (myself included)!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:02 pm
We've just fallen short!
The courage the players showed in so many games to come back when we looked beat!
And why? Because we didn't finish above a club bankrolled beyond anything we have seen not just in plge but any league in the world!
We've had some stinking decisions go against us, we've had some really disappointing results in the last few weeks "a draw at anfield"? a draw at w ham" ? and an undeniable dreadful result against soton!
Well at least Augie and Bobby Pires ( how dare he use Pires name) are overjoyed, what a pair of "WUM"
Forums are for discussion and different views, this one has been hijacked by people who have egos who have probably been on here too long (myself included)!
Evening Sid :D

As I said last night mate- it isn't last nights result or that draw at Anfield. It's the 15 year trend under 3 managers of buckling when it most matters. Our young players aren't shit by any means, but blokes aged between 27 and 30 who make the same mistakes year after year and never learn need to be fucked off out of this club immediately!

The last 15 years would tell you that you can have all the bright young things in the world - if you don't put leaders around them, this will always happen. Wenger and Emery both proved that. If Arteta grows a pair and fucks off Partey, Clive, Holding, Gabriel and a load of other fringe players and buys some proper ballsy leaders, I will gladly lift myself into more positive pastures! I shall be watching this window with interest. If those two c.unts are still playing as our first two choice midfielders next year then I invite you to join me on the dark side :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:02 pm
We've just fallen short!
That's enough sid. Honestly if you can't post your opinions without hurling personal insults and abuse at your fellow Gooners then maybe it is time you moved on. God knows I've defended you over the years with some of the OTT and offensive stuff you've posted that offended a lot of people. I've always defended you.

But I've asked you repeatedly to stop the personal insults and abuse and you seem incapable of doing that.

Can I ask you one last time mate, please stop. I really do not want to ban you. But you are pushing me into a corner and leaving me no choice. There are rules on this forum like all forums.

I'm burying my mom tomorrow. I should not be on here trying to sort this out tonight. Can you please do me this one favour?

Thanks (hopefully) in advance.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Back on topic - it sounds like some are buying into the logic that we shouldn't ever expect to get a single point against Man City ever again, and 13 straight defeats is to be expected. A list of teams to have taken points off them since we last did:

Newcastle
Aston Villa
Liverpool
Brentford
Everton
Man Ure
Vermin scum
Nottingham Forest
Southampton
Crystal Palace
West Ham
Leicester
Leeds
West Brom
Chelsea
Brighton
Norwich
Wolves
Burnley
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough

:barscarf:

Silly me for expecting we should lay a glove on the financially doped City. I mean- look at that list of billionaires above.