Wolves H Sun 28th May KO 4pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Wolves H Sun 28th May KO 4pm

Post by falkirk goon »

Last game in our end of season collapse :rubchin: Who gives?

SteveO 35

Re: Wolves H Sun 28th May KO 4pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lap of appreciation day

Can he emulate his hero Wenger and sign off with a 4-0 win now the pressure is off

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:17 pm
Lap of appreciation day

Can he emulate his hero Wenger and sign off with a 4-0 win now the pressure is off
Followed by a lap of honor to rapturous applause and completely lacking in self awareness or humility, with the non stop emphasis on the over achievement of finishishing second, and no mention of the cataclysmic, relegation form collapse.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Loss.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Who gives a fuck? Now that the pressure's off, we'll probably beat them, or continue the collapse :blah: :suicide:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Put a fork in it this season was done 4 weeks ago,the acceptable failure means a limp dicked 1-0 defeat probably,a lap of honour for our heroes and the promise of better things to come from Arteta,we’ll get a parrot for the dressing room pre-season so our little darlings can confide their shortcomings to that and Adidas will release a stonking 3rd kit to distract us mugs we blew an 8 point lead with 8 games to go………..

:barscarf:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:52 am
Put a fork in it this season was done 4 weeks ago,the acceptable failure means a limp dicked 1-0 defeat probably,a lap of honour for our heroes and the promise of better things to come from Arteta,we’ll get a parrot for the dressing room pre-season so our little darlings can confide their shortcomings to that and Adidas will release a stonking 3rd kit to distract us mugs we blew an 8 point lead with 8 games to go………..

:barscarf:
A Team Parrot… :coffeespit:

augie

Post by augie »

Can we get out of playing this game - just concede the game so that we can close the book on this horrendous end to the season :( :( :(

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:00 am
Can we get out of playing this game - just concede the game so that we can close the book on this horrendous end to the season :( :( :(
very good idea.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

I'm probably in the minority here but I do hope the players get a good ovation at the end of the game rather than a half empty stadium, after a win of course!

I know these last few weeks have felt like shit, but the vast majority of players have been absolutely immense for most of this season, and to finish 2nd (albeit disappointingly in the end) was beyond anyone's wildest predictions.

They've given us some blinding memories in some epic games, and it seems like the club has more of a positive feel for 90% of this season, and with a some tweaks to the squad (and, please God, fucking off Xhaka) we can hopefully build on it again next season.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:44 pm
I'm probably in the minority here but I do hope the players get a good ovation at the end of the game rather than a half empty stadium, after a win of course!

I know these last few weeks have felt like shit, but the vast majority of players have been absolutely immense for most of this season, and to finish 2nd (albeit disappointingly in the end) was beyond anyone's wildest predictions.

They've given us some blinding memories in some epic games, and it seems like the club has more of a positive feel for 90% of this season, and with a some tweaks to the squad (and, please God, fucking off Xhaka) we can hopefully build on it again next season.
I agree they deserve a good ovation for giving us the hope that the impossible could have been achieved.

Sign off with a win, get 3 upgrades on our first team for next season and we go again.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I know it sounds negative but we won't "go again" This was it, this was the moment and it's gone. Liverpool, Man.U, Chelsea, all of them will be stronger next season. And then there is Newcastle and the Brightons and Brentfords of the league.

We will never win anything meaningful under Arteta. You cannot fix something if you don't know where it is broken. We lack steel in the side, we need a Viera or a TA, players who lead by sheer force of will, who can drag the youngsters with them. You think that's who Arteta is looking for??

We'll be linked with top, top qualiteeeee players for the next 3 months, then a desperate, last minute trolley dash ending with, we bought WHO??? :?

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

xisstential wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:56 pm
I know it sounds negative but we won't "go again" This was it, this was the moment and it's gone. Liverpool, Man.U, Chelsea, all of them will be stronger next season. And then there is Newcastle and the Brightons and Brentfords of the league.

We will never win anything meaningful under Arteta. You cannot fix something if you don't know where it is broken. We lack steel in the side, we need a Viera or a TA, players who lead by sheer force of will, who can drag the youngsters with them. You think that's who Arteta is looking for??

We'll be linked with top, top qualiteeeee players for the next 3 months, then a desperate, last minute trolley dash ending with, we bought WHO??? :?
I honestly cannot see us winning the league again in my lifetime,this was the year,we HAD to get it done this season,unless we sign 3-4 world class players this summer we’ll just be back to fighting for top 4 again.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The year Leicester won it was the “we’ll never get a better chance” season, I don’t get why people keep saying it’s was this one.

When Leicester won it all the teams you’d expect to challenge had a transitional season because they changed their manager and we fucked it.

This time around having Liverpool, united and the chavs all in the doldrums is fuck all use when you still have city on fire and being touted as the greatest premier league team of all time.

It’s like saying someone never had a better of chance of winning the 100 meters because so many of the athletes are out of form…..other than Usain fucking Bolt.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:26 pm
The year Leicester won it was the “we’ll never get a better chance” season, I don’t get why people keep saying it’s was this one.

When Leicester won it all the teams you’d expect to challenge had a transitional season because they changed their manager and we fucked it.

This time around having Liverpool, united and the chavs all in the doldrums is fuck all use when you still have city on fire and being touted as the greatest premier league team of all time.

It’s like saying someone never had a better of chance of winning the 100 meters because so many of the athletes are out of form…..other than Usain fucking Bolt.
All very well reasoned but still not an excuse for shitting the bed in the manner we have. Could end up losing the title by more than 10 points having been top by 8 not so long ago

That isn't a close second to an amazing City. It's an absolutely pathetic collapse that's allowed them to play their reserves and not have to risk a single key player ahead of their treble run in

And by the way - this was THE season to win a European trophy. The 9th placed team in Spain playing the 6th placed team in Italy in the final....the sheer snobbery of it defies fucking belief that we tossed that in the bin. We could be sat here with our first European trophy in 29 years. If we were never going to overhaul City because its "oh so unfair" and they're the "best team ever in the PL", why the fuck chuck in the towel against Sporting Bloody Lisbon (who have finished 4th in Portugal).

Lap of honour heading to Budapest for a major final and having run City close is one thing. Having been pathetic in all the cups and managed an 18 point swing in little over a month is another

No honour here