Wolves H Sun 28th May KO 4pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: Wolves H Sun 28th May KO 4pm

Post by BobbyPires7 »

We blew it. I’d rather people just own it. You can witter on about this and that. Basically we shit the bed against some bang average sides. Yes City are imperious but we should have pushed them all the way. They may have drawn a game or two if we just kept up the pressure. We blew it. Own it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:48 pm
We blew it. I’d rather people just own it. You can witter on about this and that. Basically we shit the bed against some bang average sides. Yes City are imperious but we should have pushed them all the way. They may have drawn a game or two if we just kept up the pressure. We blew it. Own it.
And WHEN we beat Wolves - and we will - it will prove this whole meltdown was mental and fuck all to do with fatigue, injuries etc. If we are the youngest squad, surely we are one of the fittest. We were ***** in all the cups and have played a tiny number of games. Nothing about fitness. 100% lack of leadership and belief, and a weak mental state when the going gets tough. The repeated story of the last 15 years

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:48 pm
I agree 100% with that. Ok, City are fantastic, greatest PL team ever :blah: :blah: .....BUT, we didn't just get rinsed by them did we? We completely capitulated, we just folded like a cheap deck chair. The team that City are had absolutely nothing to do with how we played in the last 2 months. This is a collapse that will never be repeated by a PL frontrunner.......this will be talked about for years to come. This is Faldo overhauling Norman at the Masters, it is a cataclysmic collapse that really has nothing to do with City. Ok, we might not have won the title, but if we are honest, we threw in the towel, whilst 8 points ahead. I don't think this team will ever recover from this.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I’m not denying that we blew it, shit the bed, bottled it, or whatever term you want to use, what I’m saying is, and what I’m consoling myself with so I won’t go insane is the fact that even if we’d have kept playing as well as we had been we still wouldn’t have won it. If city had lost one and drawn 2 of their last 12 games I’d be fucking suicidal now because that would have given us a super chance but they haven’t, they steamrolled everyone on the way in.

Does that excuse players playing in concrete boots for the past 2 months because they became so terrified about the position they found themselves in? No. Does it excuse the manager for some brain dead team selections and being unable to steady the ship after it hit the iceberg? No.

But….and I’ll work this out at some point when I feel like torturing myself over the summer (or someone can have a go for me) because of the winning run they’ve gone on over the last few months coupled with their superior goal difference I make it that we needed to win 14 and could afford to draw/lose one of our last 15 games (it could even be win 15 draw/lose 1 of the last 16) to pip them by 2 points.

Now if with 16 games to go someone said to you we needed to win 15 of them in order to win the league I doubt many would be super confident we’d pull it off. As it turned out we didn’t have the fucking balls to even run it close but I’m sorry I can’t be having any of this we’ll never get a better chance than this nonsense.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:26 pm
The year Leicester won it was the “we’ll never get a better chance” season, I don’t get why people keep saying it’s was this one.

When Leicester won it all the teams you’d expect to challenge had a transitional season because they changed their manager and we fucked it.

This time around having Liverpool, united and the chavs all in the doldrums is fuck all use when you still have city on fire and being touted as the greatest premier league team of all time.

It’s like saying someone never had a better of chance of winning the 100 meters because so many of the athletes are out of form…..other than Usain fucking Bolt.
Hmmm... I don't agree, rodders. At one point we had a huge advantage and we were not technically in a race against citeh but more in a race against our own weakness. When we were 8 points clear we could have lost to citeh and still won the league. We lost the league not against citeh but against a beaten liverpool*, a beaten shammers, and a shit saints team. All we had to do was win those games that we bottled and we could have lost to citeh and still gone on to win the league.

Personally, I blame us for losing it rather than look on it as citeh winning it tbh. We had the opportunity and we bottled it. And that bottling started at liverpool* when Lobotomy Clive fucked us.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

We blew it 100% lads..Aye City have won all these games on the bounce but we didn't apply any real pressure :cry: Clive at Anfield.. it all points :rubchin: to that fucking clown.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:15 am
We blew it 100% lads..Aye City have won all these games on the bounce but we didn't apply any real pressure :cry: Clive at Anfield.. it all points :rubchin: to that fucking clown.
they had an easier run in though.
we were never going to win all our games - our luck eventually run out really. look at the late winners we had v Man Utd, Villa and Bournemouth.
the "collapse" could well have started earlier but those bits of luck papered over the cracks.

but if we "bottled it" then what about Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, United etc? They never got going (well apart from Spurs who had their best start in 60 years but will still finish about 30 points behind us :lol: :lol: )

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

Let's also remember that it was really a 5 point lead with the City game in hand, and we still had to go there as well.

I don't think many people would have backed us to get a result there even if we were in form at the tim, so suddenly it is down to 2 points, suddenly not such a lead.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

In fact, we would have had to win every other game including Liverpool to still finish ahead of them because of the goal difference.

It is shite that we dropped points against West Ham, Southampton etc, but we still wouldn't have won the league, would have just got closer to them.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Sure every other team will be better but so will we.
City will still win it next year but for the first time in many years we beat Liverpool, United, Chelsea (twice), Spurs (twice), Newcastle.

Yes we fell short this year but from where we were last year we've been so much better. Arteta made mistakes, who hasn't. How long has it taken Pep to be in verge of CL glory and that failure has been down to Pep mistakes.

Have a bit of faith people.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Thynker wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:34 pm
City will still win it next year but for the first time in many years we beat Liverpool, United, Chelsea (twice), Spurs (twice), Newcastle.

Yes we fell short this year but from where we were last year we've been so much better. Arteta made mistakes, who hasn't. How long has it taken Pep to be in verge of CL glory and that failure has been down to Pep mistakes.

This is just my.personal opinion and God knows I love The Arsenal, but I think Arteta has the same flaws Wenger has. I don't think he learns, he is completely rigid and set in his ways and I honestly don't think he is going to change.We need a certain type of player, maybe more than one.....a leader, a TA or Viera type, but I don't think he sees that. We collapsed, we capitulated in an almost cowardly fashion. I don't obviously expect him to come right out and say that but I would hope that he knows it. But I don't think he does. And tbh I could never get behind any manager who cannot see Xhaka for what he is.
My expectations under Arteta from here on is Top 4. A battle for Top 4.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:07 pm
Thynker wrote:

This is just my.personal opinion and God knows I love The Arsenal, but I think Arteta has the same flaws Wenger has. I don't think he learns, he is completely rigid and set in his ways and I honestly don't think he is going to change.We need a certain type of player, maybe more than one.....a leader, a TA or Viera type, but I don't think he sees that. We collapsed, we capitulated in an almost cowardly fashion. I don't obviously expect him to come right out and say that but I would hope that he knows it. But I don't think he does. And tbh I could never get behind any manager who cannot see Xhaka for what he is.
My expectations under Arteta from here on is Top 4. A battle for Top 4.
Unfortunately I think you are right. Let's not forget we bottled the run in two years running. It's not a once off. Yes I think he has improved us as it cannot be denied we've finished higher in the league but I think he may be the type of manager that can take you near the top but not to the top. Next year has to be a deciding year for his tenure. We cannot hang on for a decade to see if he can win the league like we did with Wengers last ten wasted years, we are too big a club for that.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Arteta has done a good job but he faces a defining summer of transfer recruitment, otherwise we will slip back again.

He has always got a lot of credit for winning the FA Cup in his first season, although the reality is that Aubamayang dragged us to that win because he wanted a new pay deal.
Since that cup win 3 years ago Arteta has got nowhere near winning another trophy and I put that down largely to the fact that his in game management remains weak. To win trophies, especially the cup competitions is something he has to get better at.

augie

Post by augie »

Thynker wrote:

You gotta be honest buddy if you are going to bring up facts like this - yes we have improved and yes we have beaten those teams, BUT make no mistake, with the exception of the geordies those teams have been very poor this season. I would love to know why you are so confident that we will be better next season - for starters there is the very real possibility that this end of season collapse will haunt us at the start of next season, but while I accept that getting rid of the swiss c.unt will improve us, I'm not as confident that our purchases will do the same. Our key players are still all pre-arteta signings, and given the amount of players he brought to the club (and the money he has spent), that is a shocking indictment on his recruitment. By the end of the season most fans were questioning the impact of jesus and zinchenko, whilst his captain continues to go awol in the big games - I'm not confident that him and edu will buy the players needed, and being linked with the likes of rice, mount and vlahovic is not helping my confidence

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:48 am
Thynker wrote:

You gotta be honest buddy if you are going to bring up facts like this - yes we have improved and yes we have beaten those teams, BUT make no mistake, with the exception of the geordies those teams have been very poor this season. I would love to know why you are so confident that we will be better next season - for starters there is the very real possibility that this end of season collapse will haunt us at the start of next season, but while I accept that getting rid of the swiss c.unt will improve us, I'm not as confident that our purchases will do the same. Our key players are still all pre-arteta signings, and given the amount of players he brought to the club (and the money he has spent), that is a shocking indictment on his recruitment. By the end of the season most fans were questioning the impact of jesus and zinchenko, whilst his captain continues to go awol in the big games - I'm not confident that him and edu will buy the players needed, and being linked with the likes of rice, mount and vlahovic is not helping my confidence
Some of those key players though Augie are players that have improved under his tenure you cant deny that. Odegaard has been great this season but he needs better protection when they try to bully him ,he certainly showed up away to Newcastle, you cant deny his talent . Im a massive Smith rowe fan like you but I think you hold a grudge against our captain because of his ommision ,I may be wrong.

George Graham and Wenger inherited good players and built on their foundations as well , We have taken another step forward this year but the next window and season will answer a lot of questions for all of us I think.

Arteta for me needs to improve his in game management and squad rotation which both come down to the same thing trusting your squad as i stated in another post.