Save The Gooner!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Save The Gooner!

Post by DB10GOONER »

Firstly I was not instructed or asked by the owners to start this thread. :D

Not sure how many subscribers to the actual fanzine we have on here (personally I've always just bought copies outside the ground) but for those that are not, I'd ask you to consider becoming a subscriber as there is a real risk to the fanzines existence due to the increased costs of printing and transport since COVID.

If the fanzine was to go out of business I'm not 100% sure what effect that would have on the forum, but I'd imagine it would mean the forum also closing down.

You can buy a subscription here: https://shop.onlinegooner.com/index.php/cPath/21

gooner265

Re: Save The Gooner!

Post by gooner265 »

Used to buy it all the time with one nil down instead of the programme. Do the sales pay for this site ?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Did the subscription the first year they said they were going to fold unless people paid up front. Seem to recall that I ended up receiving the fanzine sent to me in the post after they had started selling it outside the grounds. So basically you want my money but those who couldn’t be arsed got it before me. That was it for me. If you want my money then I need some sort of perk for doing it. Haven’t subscribed since.

If things have changed I may reconsider.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

As much as I enjoyed reading it in the past, I can't help thinking that the fanzine era is all but over. There is just so much more choice and so many more ways to connect with fellow supporters these days that without wishing to sound ungrateful, there isn't the demand for a monthly counter-culture fanzine. They were brilliant for 10-15 years but once the Internet got going and things like Twitter and blogs and YouTube channels became ideal for football discussion, fanzines became out-dated quickly. It is sad to see but that's progress, in the same way that local papers are extinct or dying off. There just isn't the demand or need for them.
I suppose the annual 'save the fanzine' announcement tells us everything we need to know, it seems difficult to believe that it can keep going much longer and perhaps another format like purely digital might help longer term?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:31 pm
As much as I enjoyed reading it in the past, I can't help thinking that the fanzine era is all but over. There is just so much more choice and so many more ways to connect with fellow supporters these days that without wishing to sound ungrateful, there isn't the demand for a monthly counter-culture fanzine. They were brilliant for 10-15 years but once the Internet got going and things like Twitter and blogs and YouTube channels became ideal for football discussion, fanzines became out-dated quickly. It is sad to see but that's progress, in the same way that local papers are extinct or dying off. There just isn't the demand or need for them.
I suppose the annual 'save the fanzine' announcement tells us everything we need to know, it seems difficult to believe that it can keep going much longer and perhaps another format like purely digital might help longer term?
I agree Perry, nowadays you can get instant reaction, match analysis, transfer gossip, team selection debate all online in various formats and personalities, waiting a month for a paper version which is out of date by the time you receive it, nowadays , is archaic, sadly 🥲

I have possibly 200 odd issues going back to issue 1, they take up a huge amount of space in the loft and I loved reading them at the time but have moved on from collecting them

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:06 am
Used to buy it all the time with one nil down instead of the programme. Do the sales pay for this site ?
They used to. But a couple years back there was talk of trying to restructure the finances so that the forum might break even with some limited advertising and pay fir itself. Not sure where we are at now tbh, I only look after the modding.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:07 pm
gooner265 wrote:
They used to. But a couple years back there was talk of trying to restructure the finances so that the forum might break even with some limited advertising and pay fir itself. Not sure where we are at now tbh, I only look after the modding.
Cheers , well we need to kerp this site going , it's the only place I can talk to fellow gooners with half a brain and don't think Xhaka is the second coming and that includes my matchday mates :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

And not doing a great job either according to some :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

augie wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

“Save the DBGooner…” :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

:lol:

You only know the half of it buddy! :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:59 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

“Save the DBGooner…” :lol:
:lol: :lol: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:29 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
Cheers , well we need to kerp this site going , it's the only place I can talk to fellow gooners with half a brain and don't think Xhaka is the second coming and that includes my matchday mates :lol:
I feel your pain mate. I gave a buddy in our group of Gooners that we call "Blinkers". He literally can never see ANYTHING wrong with the club. Every manager and player we've ever had is "brilliant" in his eyes and he gets upset if anyone criticises the manager, players or club in any way at all. You literally cannot have a football conversation with the guy! But he's a mate and a good bloke too so we put up with him. :wink:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
Maybe they should consider lowering the salary for mods ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:25 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
Maybe they should consider lowering the salary for mods ?
:shock:

Why how very dare you, sir! You will take away my limo, the cocaine, and the bitches, when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. Bastard! :box: :twisted:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:48 am
gooner265 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:29 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
I feel your pain mate. I gave a buddy in our group of Gooners that we call "Blinkers". He literally can never see ANYTHING wrong with the club. Every manager and player we've ever had is "brilliant" in his eyes and he gets upset if anyone criticises the manager, players or club in any way at all. You literally cannot have a football conversation with the guy! But he's a mate and a good bloke too so we put up with him. :wink:
Oh they're not that bad , we were all on the Wenger out march , they just have a blind spot with Xhaka and I get pelters (bullied :lol: ) every game especially when he scores but I still refused to sing that song after even after copious amounts of alcohol :lol: 8)