Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

Stuart L (2)

Re: Welcome Declan Rice

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:57 am
I really don't like this "I told you so" attitude calling posters out on posts made months ago based on facts available now. We could all do that. Its poor form.

Personally I thought 105million was too much and to be honest I still think we overpaid. If he drives us onto a PL trophy then yep the 105million was good value. If he doesn't, then we deffo overpaid.

Now before anyone pisses their knickers in outrage I will say that I think Rice is ten times the player now for us than he was for wet sham where he often drifted through games taking the easy Denilson five yard pass option and only occasionally showing true class and drive in his play.

He has proven to be a top player with us and he'd be the first name on my teamsheet along with Saliba.

I see Oirish Deckers as future captain material.
Was simply asking if anyone had changed their mind based on his performances.

Some people stick rigidly to their opinion - despite proof to the contrary, as they can’t be seen to have been wrong.

I stated I would rather buy him than not but he was over priced, 1 or 2 others ( noticibly TeeCee ) were spot on straight away that he would be an amazing signing.

Who would have thought that cone boy would know better than us internet experts eh ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:43 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
I really don't like this "I told you so" attitude calling posters out on posts made months ago based on facts available now. We could all do that. Its poor form.

Personally I thought 105million was too much and to be honest I still think we overpaid. If he drives us onto a PL trophy then yep the 105million was good value. If he doesn't, then we deffo overpaid.

Now before anyone pisses their knickers in outrage I will say that I think Rice is ten times the player now for us than he was for wet sham where he often drifted through games taking the easy Denilson five yard pass option and only occasionally showing true class and drive in his play.

He has proven to be a top player with us and he'd be the first name on my teamsheet along with Saliba.

Some people stick rigidly to their opinion - despite proof to the contrary, as they can’t be seen to have been wrong.

I stated I would rather buy him than not but he was over priced, 1 or 2 others ( noticibly TeeCee ) were spot on straight away that he would be an amazing signing.

Who would have thought that cone boy would know better than us internet experts eh ?
Wasn't having a pop at you Stuart. I hope you didnt think that, mate. Your input here has always been top notch. It was just the general feel to the thread. I like that there are different opinions on here. But I've never liked that "told you so groove".

I'll stand by my "we paid too much" until Deckers wins a PL with us though. But then again that was the asking price so, like with a new manager, we have to take the chance a player will work out and not be afraid to take that chance. Even though I think he was overpriced I do give credit to Arteta for buying him in spite of the price. But then the other side of that coin is Faux-Vieira and Havertz. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:28 pm
Like I said before he is a much better player than I thought he was

10 more years 10 more years Declan Rice

Fingers crossed
He's certainly stepped up a level after leaving wet sham. But then sometimes the top players only really show they are top players when they play with other top players.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I think he's a bargain to buy him now what would it cost 150m surely?

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

hes an Essex boy :-D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:03 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Why you little cock pussy! :banghead: :box:

He's a Plastic Paddy!! :box:

:lol: :wink: :wink:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:49 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Wasn't having a pop at you Stuart. I hope you didnt think that, mate. Your input here has always been top notch. It was just the general feel to the thread. I like that there are different opinions on here. But I've never liked that "told you so groove".

I'll stand by my "we paid too much" until Deckers wins a PL with us though. But then again that was the asking price so, like with a new manager, we have to take the chance a player will work out and not be afraid to take that chance. Even though I think he was overpriced I do give credit to Arteta for buying him in spite of the price. But then the other side of that coin is Faux-Vieira and Havertz. :wink:
I didn’t take it as having a pop, mearly responded as it was I that posed the question to Rodders.

If it’s the right player, that will make us unquestionably better then it’s a price worth paying.

Can you imagine City’s team with Rice in it ? That would be frightening.

2 more key signings in the summer and this team will be picking up trophies for the next 5 seasons if we can keep ,them all together.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:49 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I didn’t take it as having a pop, mearly responded as it was I that posed the question to Rodders.

If it’s the right player, that will make us unquestionably better then it’s a price worth paying.

Can you imagine City’s team with Rice in it ? That would be frightening.

2 more key signings in the summer and this team will be picking up trophies for the next 5 seasons if we can keep ,them all together.
And that I think is the crux of it. I have this awful gut feeling (somewhat based on evidence) that Arteta won't sign those couple of players we need to get to that next level.... which of course is the next level. :wink:

I hope I'm wrong but his ego worries me badly.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Hold my hands up like i did earlier in the season, thought we were paying top dollar for a knock off Gareth Barry.

Happy to be proved totally wrong

John F

Post by John F »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:03 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

He is from my home town, the well-known Dublin suburb of Kingston Upoun Thames :D .

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Hold my hands up like i did earlier in the season, thought we were paying top dollar for a knock off Gareth Barry.

Exactly, we all have an opinion on what we think of a player, or manager, but sometimes we all have to look long and hard at ourselves for casting judgement before they have been given time.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:38 pm

Exactly, we all have an opinion on what we think of a player, or manager, but sometimes we all have to look long and hard at ourselves for casting judgement before they have been given time.

Hmmmm....how much time have I got to give Havertz? :rubchin: I don't think I'll live long enough.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:50 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:38 pm

Hmmmm....how much time have I got to give Havertz? :rubchin: I don't think I'll live long enough.
If he keeps his current scoring form up, I’ll get you a waka- waka tee shirt mate

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I just think that very occasionally you have a signing that you just know is right..... Bergkamp, Sol.......and Rice. Total quality, yes a lot of money but there's literally no-one better around. He does make such a difference to us, long may it continue!! :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

It was / is just a bit of "Banter" DB... You knowww 'Fun'... taking the Michael... as we all do and are all subject to also... You're being rather pernickety & a tad cranky on occasions these days mate... Whassup!? :D :wink: :wink: