Welcome Jurrien Timber

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

gooner265

Re: Welcome Jurrien Timber

Post by gooner265 »

Quality player at a great price and another leader apparently, great signing.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨| Jurrien Timber takes number 12 previously worn by William Saliba.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:15 pm
Quality player at a great price and another leader apparently, great signing.
With the huge advantage of flexibility to play CB, RB, the inverted RB role and possibly Midfield ?

No idea who will make our first 11, but that, in itself, is a good thing.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Source BBC Website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66017042

Arsenal have completed the signing of Netherlands defender Jurrien Timber from Ajax for £34m.

Timber's fee could rise to £38.5m and the 22-year-old joins on a long-term deal.

He will further bolster Arsenal's defence after centre-back William Saliba agreed a new four-year contract.

"We're really excited Jurrien has joined us. He is a versatile young defender," said Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta.

Why Netherlands defender Timber should excite Arsenal fans
"Jurrien is a young player, but has already achieved so much. He has experienced what it's like to go to a major international tournament on more than one occasion, as well as the trophies he has won with Ajax. We look forward to welcoming and integrating Jurrien into the squad."

The versatile Dutch defender, who can play in the centre of defence or at right-back, had been linked with Manchester United, while Bayern Munich were also known to be interested.

Timber has 15 caps for the Netherlands, including four at the Qatar World Cup, where he helped Louis van Gaal's side reach the quarter-finals.

He will add strength to the spine of an Arsenal team that finished runners-up to Manchester City in a closely fought Premier League title race last season and qualified for the Champions League after a six-year absence.

His signing follows that of 24-year-old Germany forward Kai Havertz from Chelsea, with West Ham midfielder Declan Rice also close to completing a club-record £105m move to the Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal have also agreed new contracts with Bukayo Saka, 21, and Reiss Nelson, 23, while experienced Switzerland midfielder Granit Xhaka, 30, joined German side Bayer Leverkusen for 25m euros (£21.4m).

Timber made 47 appearances in all competitions for Ajax last season, including all six of their games in the Champions League group stage, and helped the Amsterdam side to win the Eredivisie title in 2021 and 2022.

Arsenal sporting director Edu said: "We are very happy to bring Jurrien to Arsenal. He is a player that we have admired for a long time, so it's a credit to everyone in our team that made this happen."

"Jurrien is a young, talented international player, who fits our vision of competing with a young strong squad. I know Jurrien cannot wait to get started and we're really hoping that he will be a great success here for many years."

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Great signing. Plenty of depth in the defence now (excluding Rob Holding)

Midz

Post by Midz »

Welcome, Jurien. Looking forward to seeing you become a mega-star for the Arsenal. :D

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Good signing and hope it all goes well for him with us. If you ever needed to know just how much bollocks was written about transfers , I read this morning that Ajax had ended any communication with us and that he was now of interest to other English clubs. Absolutely bloody nonsense.

augie

Post by augie »

I'm not gonna lie and pretend that I know anything about the guy cos I dont, but I dont trust ben white and think we can upgrade there - tbh I cant trust any player who says that they dont like the game of football and would never watch any game on tv :roll:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Great signing........he's just about to experience what it's like to be injury prone........ :shock: :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:23 pm
I'm not gonna lie and pretend that I know anything about the guy cos I dont, but I dont trust ben white and think we can upgrade there - tbh I cant trust any player who says that they dont like the game of football and would never watch any game on tv :roll:
Yeah, I’ve never understood that. While I appreciate that we don’t have to like our jobs to do them, when it comes to sport I would expect a professional footballer to have some desire to enjoy the game and thus wish to excel within it.

Re Timber, never seen a single second of him so I have no idea if he’s any good. I’ve only seen the usual social media hype - some claiming he’s the new Lauren, some saying he’s going to be Arsenal’s version of Evra, or how he’ll pair best with Saliba at CB than Gabriel blah blah.

Naturally I hope he’s as good as, or better, than Lauren and become an inspiring member of a new solid defence. Let’s see.

To someone, anyone, who knows more about him, how good is he?

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Any hype this transfer had was ruined by the club

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:06 pm
Any hype this transfer had was ruined by the club
Yeah, we’re pretty shit on and off-field. :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The best thing about this transfer is that it means the end of the banter Bob Holding era.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:53 pm
The best thing about this transfer is that it means the end of the banter Bob Holding era.

Not so fast rodders - he is being signed as a right back