Palass A Mon 21st Aug KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: Palass A Mon 21st Aug KO 8pm

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:44 pm
All I can say is that I've not heard any mention of the ayew non yellow card on slysports, two absolute detestable *word censored* who are known Arsenal haters, no surprise but wait till it happens to their cuntss of a team, oh wait :roll:
Ratface was also using that one that isn't legally a rapist or an abuser to spout off some more bollox about his old cesspit of a club. I suppose when you've shared a dressing room with serial wife beaters and been managed by a man whose own son is one, you don't really have a rational or moral compass. The sooner these two fucking agenda driven cretins are fucked off TV screens, the better.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Poor performance, regardless of the sending off and I've had it with Arteta. I can't believe how my confidence has evaporated since the Charity Shield, where I thought we played well.

The purchase of Havertz was beyond fucking brainless, but beyond that, Arteta has allowed it to completely disrupt the team selection and the way the team play. He is going to get his new favourite into the side no matter what. It always felt like we were playing with 10 men with Xhaka in the team and after rejoicing for what seemed like all of 5 minutes after he left, we replace him with another total dud.

Havertz offers absolutely fuck all, which ought to surprise no one after 3 crap years at the chavs. Trouble is, playing him means no place for ESR, or Trossard, who must be wishing he'd stayed at Brighton. Worse still, it's meant that Legohead has disrupted the back line...why the fuck not just bench Partey, who by the way is also poor and needs to go? But no, he puts Partey at right back and drops Gabriel for White at centre half....fucking why?? Then there's the fiasco with the left back position. Ffs :banghead:

As for the game tonight, we created very little, Eddie again proved he's not good enough (another thing Arteta refuses to learn) and the team lacks fluidity following Legoheads fucking about with it. Then there was his usual poor decision making after the sending off. Why the fuck take Martinelli off when it was a toss up between Havertz (I'd have had him straight off) and Eddie. Having to defend as deep a that, you put Martinelli up front as that at least gives you an out ball and you can lump it up to him. Him loitering on he halfway line takes at least two opposing defenders out of the game.

Two scrappy, nervous wins against two teams who'll be bottom half. Already not looking a patch on last season and I can't believe that I'm starting to think that we've actually got an even less effective player than Xhaka in the side. I genuinely would never have thought that was possible. Also, we all know that we needed a striker, but most knew he'd never buy one, but we needed a replacement for Partey as well as Xhaka. Sadly, Rice replaces one and Havertz is the other. :(

In OBG's survey, I think I said we'd be 2nd/3rd. I'm already revising that and while I realise that it's only been two games, the signs look grim and I don't think we'll make top 4. If we don't, then Captain Black needs to go. It's so fucking frustrating, because we were within touching distance of being a side that could compete at the very top and I believe he's spent a fortune and fucked it up. Unfortunately, he's Wenger Mark ll and won't ever be wrong, even as the walls collapse around him.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm seriously pissed off.
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

John F wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:30 pm
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:02 pm
Refereeing incompetence aside, if that's the state of our play against 2 poor teams then it's going to be a long and frustrating season
Unfortunately, the two wins will in Arteta's mind convince him to stick with Partey as a right back and Havertz starting.

Yep, on the money as usual John.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:44 pm
Timber would have had Ayew on Toast on the flank.
Absolutely, and even Tierney wouldn't have given him an inch. Most of Arteta's recent decisions have been good ones but this nonsense of Tomiyasu at left back is going to cause a lot of pain. Thank fuck it was Ayew and not someone decent!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:44 pm
Timber would have had Ayew on Toast on the flank.
Absolutely, and even Tierney wouldn't have given him an inch. Most of Arteta's recent decisions have been good ones but this nonsense of Tomiyasu at left back is going to cause a lot of pain. Thank fuck it was Ayew and not someone decent!

Blimey SteveO, did you have a few beers watching the game tonight?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

It's in Arteta's make-up, the more grumbles about players or tactics, the more he'll persist with it. Wenger did it because he thought no-one could know any better, and Arteta looks exactly the same. Ultimately it will be his downfall.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Neville said the second yellow was a dead cert booking. Did Tomi even touch him? I think he may have put his hand out as Ayew rolled him. An absolutely pathetic decision bought by Ayew as soon as he felt a breeze on his back.

Neville is the biggest prick out there. An absolute c unt. Was bang average in a decent United side. A bigger prick you will not find in the punditry game.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:59 pm
Poor performance, regardless of the sending off and I've had it with Arteta. I can't believe how my confidence has evaporated since the Charity Shield, where I thought we played well.

The purchase of Havertz was beyond fucking brainless, but beyond that, Arteta has allowed it to completely disrupt the team selection and the way the team play. He is going to get his new favourite into the side no matter what. It always felt like we were playing with 10 men with Xhaka in the team and after rejoicing for what seemed like all of 5 minutes after he left, we replace him with another total dud.

Havertz offers absolutely fuck all, which ought to surprise no one after 3 crap years at the chavs. Trouble is, playing him means no place for ESR, or Trossard, who must be wishing he'd stayed at Brighton. Worse still, it's meant that Legohead has disrupted the back line...why the fuck not just bench Partey, who by the way is also poor and needs to go? But no, he puts Partey at right back and drops Gabriel for White at centre half....fucking why?? Then there's the fiasco with the left back position. Ffs :banghead:

As for the game tonight, we created very little, Eddie again proved he's not good enough (another thing Arteta refuses to learn) and the team lacks fluidity following Legoheads fucking about with it. Then there was his usual poor decision making after the sending off. Why the fuck take Martinelli off when it was a toss up between Havertz (I'd have had him straight off) and Eddie. Having to defend as deep a that, you put Martinelli up front as that at least gives you an out ball and you can lump it up to him. Him loitering on he halfway line takes at least two opposing defenders out of the game.

Two scrappy, nervous wins against two teams who'll be bottom half. Already not looking a patch on last season and I can't believe that I'm starting to think that we've actually got an even less effective player than Xhaka in the side. I genuinely would never have thought that was possible. Also, we all know that we needed a striker, but most knew he'd never buy one, but we needed a replacement for Partey as well as Xhaka. Sadly, Rice replaces one and Havertz is the other. :(

In OBG's survey, I think I said we'd be 2nd/3rd. I'm already revising that and while I realise that it's only been two games, the signs look grim and I don't think we'll make top 4. If we don't, then Captain Black needs to go. It's so fucking frustrating, because we were within touching distance of being a side that could compete at the very top and I believe he's spent a fortune and fucked it up. Unfortunately, he's Wenger Mark ll and won't ever be wrong, even as the walls collapse around him.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm seriously pissed off.
Sums up my mood optimism of 2nd or 3rd to struggling for top 4 if we don't seriously up our game and actually pick the best side.

So frustrating..

Although I think rice is a decent signing and looked quietly effective again but all undermined by the self harm team selections and someone worse than xhaka in the side.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Partey lucky to have not given away a penalty.
His leg action very similar to that which gave Liverpool a penalty at the weekend

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:33 pm
Neville said the second yellow was a dead cert booking. Did Tomi even touch him? I think he may have put his hand out as Ayew rolled him. An absolutely pathetic decision bought by Ayew as soon as he felt a breeze on his back.

Neville is the biggest prick out there. An absolute c unt. Was bang average in a decent United side. A bigger prick you will not find in the punditry game.
Couldn’t believe they saw no issue with the red card until I remembered they’re just a bunch of despicable c.unts :twisted:

No way a referee gives 2 yellows to the likes of Kyle Walker, TAA or fat Luke Shaw for those incidents. It’s absolute bollocks.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

I feel sorry for most of the players on our bench having to watch our Chel$ki reject prance around doing fuck all for most of the game and wondering how he is on the team sheet before them. The answer is 'the boss rates him' !!. Another love child. Saliba saved us today. :barscarf: :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:03 pm
Ayew not getting second yellow was a disgrace - I understand the hesitancy for refs to give second yellow sometimes (even if I dont agree with it), but to show such double standards in his treatment of ayew and tommy is fcuking criminal :evil: :evil: :evil:

Make no mistake this manager is going to be a liability this season - if the club allow gabriel to go before signing a better centre back, then someone in the club needs to be shot

https://x.com/benvenceremos/status/1693 ... cNVBoGD_Fw

:roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Only 3 teams have won their opening 2 games, so if it was easy a lot more of the top teams would be doing it. Palace are a well drilled side under Hodgson (a polite way of saying boring as fuck) so I suspected it wouldn't be a free flowing goal fest.

Quite a few plus points for me. Firstly, Rice was excellent. A proper leader in midfield - its been a while, and its great to see. I know he's English and all so will upset more than a few here who are still pining for the £115m waster that the Chavs bought, or the little Argy who got himself sent off for Liverpool. Rice is going to make a difference and £105m isn't relevant - he's the leader and presence we've lacked for so long when we've been putting up with Clive or the king of inconsistency Partey.

Nketiah has definitely improved his physical presence no end - was impressed with how he led the line. Palace have a couple of big lumps back there and a couple of years ago, he'd have been bounced all over the place and done fuck all. Was unlucky not to score, rolled his men well and was very sharp for the penalty.

I'm going to give Havertz more time than many on here - I'm not sure he deserved the shit he was getting last night. He takes up some good positions and I'd rather see him out there than Vieira wasting everyone's time and getting knocked off the ball.

The only blot on the landscape is Tomiyasu - honestly, I can't think of a single thing he's good at. He looks permanently nervous and unsettles everyone. Any attack Palace had came from Ayew (of all people) rinsing him, he's utterly abysmal on the ball and whilst the sending off was harsh his positioning and defending for the second yellow sums him up. If we flog Tierney for 20m and retain this bloke, I'm afraid it will haunt us and against better teams, the bloke will cost us many points. The last sending off before him was Holding, which is fitting given that neither of them are anywhere good enough to play any part in this team

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:17 pm
Understand Arsenal have no intention to sell Gabriel Magalhães despite Al Ittihad interest 🔴⚪️⛔️ #AFC

Arsenal not even intentioned to indicate a price tag for Brazilian centre back at this stage. He’s expected to stay.

I was saying that all yesterday evening and last night - all that bollox about him being on the bench cos he is going to saudi was totally ignoring the fact that he was benched against forest and those saudi rumours werent out there at that stage. El basque has some serious pr people doing work for him and I have said as such for a while - everytime he makes a questionable/bizzare call the pr excuses come out fast defending him, when the reality is that he is so full of his own shit that he thinks that he knows best and the rest of the world knows nothing

He is going to tear that dressing room apart this season imo - players know when they sign for a big club there will always be competition for places and for the most part they accept that, but what they wont accept is watching a shit c.unt (havertz) doing fcuk all every week whilst they are getting splinters in their arse. Somewhere along the line he will feel obliged to give raya a shot at the number 1 spot, and then the shit will really hit the fan cos I dont see ramsdale accepting that tbh. He is getting away with treating smith-rowe and tierney like shit right now, but somewhere down the line I think the wall will come crushing down on him, and then it will all come out

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:55 am
Only 3 teams have won their opening 2 games, so if it was easy a lot more of the top teams would be doing it. Palace are a well drilled side under Hodgson (a polite way of saying boring as fuck) so I suspected it wouldn't be a free flowing goal fest.

Quite a few plus points for me. Firstly, Rice was excellent. A proper leader in midfield - its been a while, and its great to see. I know he's English and all so will upset more than a few here who are still pining for the £115m waster that the Chavs bought, or the little Argy who got himself sent off for Liverpool. Rice is going to make a difference and £105m isn't relevant - he's the leader and presence we've lacked for so long when we've been putting up with Clive or the king of inconsistency Partey.

Nketiah has definitely improved his physical presence no end - was impressed with how he led the line. Palace have a couple of big lumps back there and a couple of years ago, he'd have been bounced all over the place and done fuck all. Was unlucky not to score, rolled his men well and was very sharp for the penalty.

I'm going to give Havertz more time than many on here - I'm not sure he deserved the shit he was getting last night. He takes up some good positions and I'd rather see him out there than Vieira wasting everyone's time and getting knocked off the ball.

The only blot on the landscape is Tomiyasu - honestly, I can't think of a single thing he's good at. He looks permanently nervous and unsettles everyone. Any attack Palace had came from Ayew (of all people) rinsing him, he's utterly abysmal on the ball and whilst the sending off was harsh his positioning and defending for the second yellow sums him up. If we flog Tierney for 20m and retain this bloke, I'm afraid it will haunt us and against better teams, the bloke will cost us many points. The last sending off before him was Holding, which is fitting given that neither of them are anywhere good enough to play any part in this team

You are being generous Steve O - Gabriel is a massive upgrade on white and centre back, and him and saliba work well together imo, so el basque's treatment of him needs to be questioned. Any successful AFC team has always been built on a solid defence, but this absolute fcuking moron is playing 3 players out of position in a back 4 :roll: I would always say that zinchenko is a better footballer than tierney but that tierney is a better defender, so for this fool to ignore tierney whilst publicly saying that he wants him to stay is beyond bizzare. It all starts for me at centre back though - when I slated el basque over his treatment of saliba two years ago I argued that he wants ben white at centre back instead. He got his wish for a season and it didnt work out and then saliba came back and made himself undroppable so now the clown has turned against gabriel and has dropped him so that he can shoe horn white back into centre back again - white is too small and isnt good enough for centre back, and the one area of the team that you dont fcuk about with is your centre back partnership, so unless he accepts that saliba and gabriel are our best centre back pairing, then we are in for a lot of trouble in months ahead