David Raya PLEASE! Fuck-Off!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: Welcome David Raya

Post by mcdowell42 »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:57 am
I’ve lost all faith in Ramsdale and would make Raya first choice now. I just expect Ramsdale to concede pretty much everything on target these days and am almost surprised when he doesn’t.

7 times this year we’ve conceded from the oppositions first shot on target, that’s a brutal stat and it can’t be written off as just bad luck.

When Garnacho went through one on one late in the game Sunday I knew he’d score, I don’t expect Ramsdale to make a huge save for us anymore. Similarly if we concede a penalty I’ve no real hope of him stopping it.

He’s poor on crosses, dodgy with the ball at his feet, especially back passes which he continues to let run across his body drawing pressure on himself.

He made that wonder save at Anfield from Salah to win us a point in the run in last season but his form has tanked since then. He had a poor pre season and hasn’t impressed me in the first 4 league games. He gives me the jitters and I’d make the change now rather than wait for him to make the next clanger.

If he's conceding goals like that, it's obvious that he's not prepared or mentally ready when the game starts

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:19 am
rodders999 wrote:
I’ve lost all faith in Ramsdale and would make Raya first choice now. I just expect Ramsdale to concede pretty much everything on target these days and am almost surprised when he doesn’t.

7 times this year we’ve conceded from the oppositions first shot on target, that’s a brutal stat and it can’t be written off as just bad luck.

When Garnacho went through one on one late in the game Sunday I knew he’d score, I don’t expect Ramsdale to make a huge save for us anymore. Similarly if we concede a penalty I’ve no real hope of him stopping it.

He’s poor on crosses, dodgy with the ball at his feet, especially back passes which he continues to let run across his body drawing pressure on himself.

He made that wonder save at Anfield from Salah to win us a point in the run in last season but his form has tanked since then. He had a poor pre season and hasn’t impressed me in the first 4 league games. He gives me the jitters and I’d make the change now rather than wait for him to make the next clanger.

If he's conceding goals like that, it's obvious that he's not prepared or mentally ready when the game starts
99 times out of 100 the striker will score when it's 1 on 1.

But the first shot stat is pretty damning

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:

How much of that is having someone in the background that appears to have been signed to take his place?

There's no other major club that has two goalkeepers that consider themselves the number one. Not City, United or Liverpool. Its a weird signing for me.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Ramsdale has had errors in him all the time, when he was making worldie saves it kept the mistakes in the background but this season and pre season, he's looked dodgy full stop. His distribution has also got worse, this is nothing to do with Raya, competition should make you UP your game!
Ramsdale is cocky and loses concentration imo and deserves to be dropped to give Raya a chance. Before Raya arrived, he knew he was never going to be dropped for Turner and he's got complacent.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Can't blame the pressure of Raya for the goals he pissed in at the back end of last season - West Ham away, Southampton home and then in pre season when he was letting them dribble in too - the Bruno Fernandez one was awful.

nut flush gooner

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:21 pm
Can't blame the pressure of Raya for the goals he pissed in at the back end of last season - West Ham away, Southampton home and then in pre season when he was letting them dribble in too - the Bruno Fernandez one was awful.
Yeah he made some howlers, but the league was on the slide by that stage. The save he made vs Pool definitely earned us 2 points.

I dunno I am a bit of a throwback when it comes to Arsenal, loved Seaman being England's number 1, was hoping the same would happen to Ramsdale. If Raya does take his place, it does leave him in a career predicament.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

It’s fucking hard, but I’m resisting the temptation to get involved. Somehow managing to let illogical conclusions go unchallenged.

I wonder if I’ll finally crack?

:lol: :wink:

nut flush gooner

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:08 pm
It’s fucking hard, but I’m resisting the temptation to get involved. Somehow managing to let illogical conclusions go unchallenged.

Go on you love nothing better than an argument would hate to deprive you.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

The "Internal Server Error" just reared it's ugly head. Wtf is it with that?!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:05 pm
The "Internal Server Error" just reared it's ugly head. Wtf is it with that?!

I don't have that problem, must be a grouchy old man kind of thing :lol:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

rodders999 wrote:

Sadly I now agree. He also seems to have picked up the awful habit a la Leno, of pushing the ball straight back where it came from, that crept in end of last season and has continued. United should have scored when he did that on Sunday.

Not sure if its overconfidence and/now underconfidence as he started off so encouragingly but seems to have peaked mod last season then rapidly dropped off.

Raya has to play pointless signing otherwise. Sad for Rambo and I hope it pushes him on to cut the crap and get better a d retake the gloves but I fear it won't.

I haven't seen much of raya but we can only judge when he plays and he comes with a good rep.

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Leave him be... its fucking hard apparnetly so let him sort Mrs/mr Retro out for once whilst the ions hot!!! He may come back less grouchy! ;)

nut flush gooner

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:19 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Leave him be... its fucking hard apparnetly so let him sort Mrs/mr Retro out for once whilst the ions hot!!! He may come back less grouchy! ;)
:D :lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Nope, still not biting. Just basking in the light of you all finally seeing the flaws in Ramsdale. It took a while, but better late than never I suppose.

the playing mantis

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:26 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Nope, still not biting. Just basking in the light of you all finally seeing the flaws in Ramsdale. It took a while, but better late than never I suppose.
OBG where are you we need some bigger bait!