Fulham FP H Sat 26th August KO 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Fulham FP H Sat 26th August KO 3pm

Post by the playing mantis »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:30 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:25 am
Here we go! Championship managers who think they see more into it than there actually is to try to defend some very odd decisions.

Can't see what's in front of you...

Making us worse.

'Zinny' was a liability last season and will be again. Funny how teams targeted that area constantly last season or didn't you see what was in front of you?!

Why is Gabriel not playing why shoehorn a completely out of form (effeftive ability?) havertz in and not introduce from the bench?

O clummo drink the kool aid this crazy experiment has to end. You experiment in preseason or when a game is won.

If he persists with this I'm turning to the augie side.

Likewise if we sell Gabriel this late in the window and don't replace him (and sell for peanuts).

This result and performances so far have really bothered me...I think it's the optimism and hope of the summer and frustration at the self harm by both players and team selection.
Championship Manager??? I'm too long in the tooth for that shite. Never played it or FIFA. I leave that to my kids. :roll:

You obviously lack the intelligence to understand modern football and are one of the naysayers that I predicted would pop up.

Do one mate. :roll: :lol: :lol:
So diverting from what made us successful last season and completely changing the base way we played is modern thinking...likewise doing it once the league kicked off...

As for doing one I thought you had a few times on here, noisily announcing it when called out for your illegal streaming number cash grab! ;) I sure lack the intelligence to understand that.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:09 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Here we go! Championship managers who think they see more into it than there actually is to try to defend some very odd decisions.

Making us worse.

'Zinny' was a liability last season and will be again. Funny how teams targeted that area constantly last season or didn't you see what was in front of you?!

Why is Gabriel not playing why shoehorn a completely out of form (effeftive ability?) havertz in and not introduce from the bench?

O clummo drink the kool aid this crazy experiment has to end. You experiment in preseason or when a game is won.

Likewise if we sell Gabriel this late in the window and don't replace him (and sell for peanuts).

This result and performances so far have really bothered me...I think it's the optimism and hope of the summer and frustration at the self harm by both players and team selection.
Championship Manager??? I'm too long in the tooth for that shite. Never played it or FIFA. I leave that to my kids. :roll:

You obviously lack the intelligence to understand modern football and are one of the naysayers that I predicted would pop up.

So diverting from what made us successful last season and completely changing the base way we played is modern thinking...likewise doing it once the league kicked off...

As for doing one I thought you had a few times on here, noisily announcing it when called out for your illegal streaming number cash grab! ;) I sure lack the intelligence to understand that.
No "cash grab" mate. All money went directly to the National Autistic Society, as the users can confirm. Not a single penny went into my pocket. In fact it cost me plenty of my own to set it all up and run it.

I was just trying to do a bit of good in this world but as usual the sceptics immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm a bit dodgy.

When was the last time you did something that raised over £30k for charity?

You aren't the first to throw this at me and you won't be the last I'm sure.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

As a sometimes (Grateful) user of the Stream Service set up by Clummo I Can 100% Confirm ALL Payments went Directly to The National Autistic Society via Standard On-line Payment Method.

We weren't asked to Pay a specific amount, but to the best of my knowledge most of those who used the Stream added a few more quid when possible as it was for a Very Worthy Cause. just saying.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:34 am
As a sometimes (Grateful) user of the Stream Service set up by Clummo I Can 100% Confirm ALL Payments went Directly to The National Autistic Society via Standard On-line Payment Method.

We weren't asked to Pay a specific amount, but to the best of my knowledge most of those who used the Stream added a few more quid when possible as it was for a Very Worthy Cause. just saying.
I concur that all payments when through the charity.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Thanks lads. You didn't need to post but I appreciate the fact that you did. 8)

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:18 am
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:09 am
Clummo99 wrote:

Making us worse.

No "cash grab" mate. All money went directly to the National Autistic Society, as the users can confirm. Not a single penny went into my pocket. In fact it cost me plenty of my own to set it all up and run it.

I was just trying to do a bit of good in this world but as usual the sceptics immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm a bit dodgy.

When was the last time you did something that raised over £30k for charity?

You aren't the first to throw this at me and you won't be the last I'm sure.
Did you miss the wink...

It was more a comment on doing one when someone else made thay accusation...i thought we had a running joke re. flouncing...maybe it was running my side only.

:|

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rough crowd here today :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Clummo can call me a c.unt every day of the week and twice on Sunday, he made me one of the Drogon Boyz and for that I’m eternally grateful.

We can all annoy the shit out of each on here, there are posts on here that annoy me and I’m sure my posts piss people of at times too….oh great he’s on about tits again :roll:

I suppose it’s the way of the modern world that when someone has a different opinion to yours the default response is to get angry about it.

I try not to but definitely have on occasion, I remember calling Bobby P a bell end at the end of last season partly to do with what he was saying and but mostly because I was so pissed off with they way the season went up in smoke.

Don’t think I ever apologised for that Bobby so please take this as one 4 months later!

I try to debate as best I can with people who have different opinions than me on here and that’s what I think works best for all parties and helps keep the place from coming toxic.

Augie for example would agree with around 10% of my posts I’d imagine and likewise me with his but we we manage to have a bit of over and back putting our own viewpoints across without anyone soiling their undies.

I try to approach the forum that way as best I can, some will say things I agree with, others won’t and it’s up to me to skate the line down the middle so I don’t end up bursting a blood vessel discussing a subject that means the whole world to me.

We’re all Arsenal at the end of the day, we’re all family. That’s what brings us here every day of the week talking shite about the club from top to bottom. You think someone who doesn’t eat, sleep, drink, breathe this club 24/7 would be bothered doing that.

So in short, up The Arse & remember…..be more like me and Augie 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:00 pm
I think we're all hung over and still feeling the Frustrations (Ooooh err missis :-P ) after yesterday's debacle.

talking of which

All players make mistakes, yesterdays ‘Horrorshow’ was initiated by Saka; a ypung player and rising football star who on many occasions has pulled us out of the mire, so as angry as I felt I couldn’t bring myself to blame him. And whilst some fans said it was all down to Ramsdale being out of position, he was in the position most likely set by Arteta the coaching team when the team are (supposed to be) in the motions of beginning an attack, so it wasn’t his fault, also the Fulham player looked like he actually ‘miss-kicked’ the ball, whether that added to the goal is debatable.

The conceding of a goal so early (this appears to be becoming something of a habit btw) put everyone in a Panic, suddenly any confidence they may have had when they entered the field of play just drained away, with passes from everyone going astray, challenges (even 50 / 50) being lost and within a minute the team was in disarray and any “plan’ went out of the window.

And just as we did so the opposition also saw this and suddenly realized that the unlikely result of a Win for them was very much on the cards.

By half-time I was thinking ‘we could play another 90 minutes and never score, Fulham were defending really well, the usually Loud Support of the home fans had also fallen deathly quiet, the loudest sound/s being the Crashes of Thunder.

It took a penalty to get us back on even terms; Yes it was a nailed on penalty, but when Saka picked up the ball I must confess I was thinking “Noooo! Not Saka” he was still having a very poor game and I still think as Brilliant as he is as a player he is Not a penalty taker.

So Arteta having set up the team to play this new Possession based system; which to the best of my understanding is supposed to make the defence more secure and the transition from defending into attack quicker more fluid although in its early stages; for me just isn’t working. Partey at LB is never going to work, Zinchenko (once again) gave away possession as at LB, which lead to their 2nd goal, Zinchenko is No Defender – (I think he could play a mid-field defensive position IF he has a decent LB behind him – But with Timber out and Tierney on loan there is no one) Also Kiwioir is no RB/LB. He looks Very Nervous anytime the ball goes near him (Not a Good Sign), every time the ball came to him he took a few steps forward then passed the ball back inside, thus no chance of mounting a Left Flank attack, with no inter-play with Martinelli and no over-lapping etc. In all honesty I don’t know why we bought him.
Talking of buying players, now comes the Havertz question? I heard a Goooner on 5Live last night saying that Havertz was bought because Arteta wanted him ‘at the heart of the new (possession based) system’. Well if that’s true it is not working.

Arteta will succeed or fail this season, some saying last season’s finishing at 2nd was an abberation; because the scousers and the chavs and manure were all in mid-flux of changes (which all clubs go through) and whilst like the majority on here I want him to succeed, yesterday’s game reminded me of Wenger when we had some amazing players, but some were ‘Square pegs in round holes’ ie: Partey, Kiwior, Zinchenko.
His success or failure will for me depend on whether he can be adaptable enough to listen to advice (critical or not) and see when something isn’t working. If he is stubborn like Wenger he will crash and burn, but it is We who pay the price.

The next few games will show us I guess? But if we continue in this fashion and end up dropping points needlessly, then the tide of opinions will begin to turn. For me I hope he can be adaptable & fluid and turn it around. The loss of Timber may well be a bigger blow than we all first imagined.

#COYG
Last edited by OneBardGooner on Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

There’s no need for the personal abuse fellas. Both Mantis and Clummo always make good points on here and whether the views contradict each other and whether I agree with them, is not the point. The forum is about an adult expression and exchange of opinions.

Regarding the spat above, I’d add that no one would give a damn about the system if it’s effective and gets results and hopefully the football is good to watch. What a lot of us can’t figure out is why he’s fucking about with a system that was effective last season and only needed the addition of two or three quality upgrades to the playing squad. If you start changing the formula and don’t get results, then you’re gonna get criticised. Arteta is making some very strange decisions and if he sticks with it and it continues to come up short, then he’ll get flak.

It’s only three games and we’ve picked up 7 points, so on the face of it, no disaster. However, we’ve played three teams likely to be bottom half, two of them at home and could very conceivably be sitting on 4 or 5 points. Replicate the performances in the next six games, which include Utd, the scum, City and Chelsea and we could be looking at a very different picture.

Bottom line is that we performed well last year and have spent 200m this summer. Come the end of September it will be perfectly fair to judge the manager.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
It's murder when things get off topic isn't it. :lol:

I did my best with the quote towers though. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:16 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
It's murder when things get off topic isn't it. :lol:

I did my best with the quote towers though. :wink:
I "LOVE" a Quote Tower. :proudtosay: :D

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

That's the thing I got sidetracked from saying. We aren't experimenting this season.

If Zinny and Timber were available, as Timber was during pre season, we would still be basically playing the same way (and did during pre season).

The lack of left side inverted fullback options has seen us use Partey as a right sided alternative out of necessity.

The debate about using a left sided invert at all is an entirely different discussion.

As I said above, now Zinny is available again I can see us setting up the same as last season. Who plays left side CB is also another discussion as there is undoubtedly something going on regarding Gabriel that were are all in the dark about.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Its only Man City who have a 100% record now which I think should tell everyone how competitive this league is becoming now. When you see the sort of players joining the likes of Fulham, you realise you have to be 100% switched on all of the time. I've only seen the highlights this morning so can't judge the whole game, but it looks like one of those where we've switched off and conceded 2 really daft goals. It happens, and has been happening to most PL sides this season as they try and settle on a starting XI. I don't think there's much need to panic. Frustrating for sure, but maybe Man United is exactly what we need coming up on the back of 3 games where we were overwhelming favourites to win. The focus levels will certainly be higher.

The concerns I hear from most people seem to be around the tinkering of the starting XI and its a difficult balance. If we really are going to challenge on two fronts (and hopefully the domestic cups too), then players are going to need game time and we're going to have to have a degree of rotation. I can't comment on the individual changes he made yesterday as I haven't seen the match in full. It does seem very odd not to have started Eddie, as I thought he looked really sharp against Palace, and so it looked when he came on yesterday. Having said that, a lot of people were calling for Trossard to get more game time, so I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.

From the limited highlights I did see and talking to my son, it did look as though Vieira finally stepped up to the plate. Lets hope a season and a bit under his belt and a full pre season, will see us get something out of this lad.

Long way to go - nothing was ever won or lost in August

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yes, we're all looking for clues as to what is going on regarding Gabrielle.