THE Arsenal vs Man City H Sun Oct 8th 16:30. Prem.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: THE Arsenal vs Man City H Sun Oct 8th 16:30. Prem.

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:11 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:20 pm
Pony game from both sides, but something stood out for me. I fully expected us to get beaten as usual against this lot, for the very reason that I was talking about last season....namely that we play a very similar style of football as City, but less well and with lesser players. However, Arteta has so far refused to adjust our style for the game and has insisted on taking them on in a toe to toe, purist fashion. Wenger used to do exactly the same thing in the same stubborn manner and got the same duff results.

I think the analogy I used previously was that it was like two classical boxers going up against each other, where the more gifted will always win. Teams that have done reasonably well against City have, or employ a different style for the game and tend to sit deep and spring occasional fast attacks, with strikers that can finish half chances, which we definitely don't fucking have. To continue the boxing analogy, it's the classical boxer against the slugger, who can absorb the shots and might be able to land a couple of heavy rights to KO the other guy.

While we didn't exactly spring fast attacks with lethal strikers :roll: , at least on this occasion we played a less expansive game and sat deeper and made sure to get into a good, tight defensive position. We offered little threat, but City posed little threat in return, which enabled us to stay in the game and nick a deflected winner. Maybe, just maybe, Arteta had learnt something and approached it differently, but I'll wait for the game at their place before getting carried away about that.

As for our boys, the two centre halves were top notch, which goes to show how fucking ridiculous the decision to bench Gabriel was at the start of the season. He and Saliba make a good partnership, which will only improve the longer they play together. Gabriel gets some stick on here, but I've always like him and he always gives 100%. Saliba is quality and if we can keep him at the club, that partnership can run and run for years.

Rice was solid and strong in centre mid, something we haven't had for years. give him a top level partner and we're in buisness. Martinelli made a big difference and in my book is a more important player than Saka (who I also rate highly).

The game showed again how desperately we need a proper goal scoring striker. We all knew it was vital to add one in the summer, but Arteta was never going to do that and sadly, I doubt he will in Jan. It will be our undoing.

As for Raya, fuck me, he better get his finger out a bit sharpish, or we need to put Ramsdale back in...which is quite a statement from me! I knew fuck all about Raya, but the reports were positive, so I'll give him another 2 or 3 games, but very iffy so far.
It reminded me of a Chess Game in that we were far more cautious with the ball and only started attacks when the whole team were in place so that we couldn't get hit on the break. Maybe Arteta is learning at long last!

Saliba & Gabriel were Awesome and Rice was also (All three contenders for MOTM).

What a difference it would make IF we had a Proper Striker instead of the in-effective Nketiah. :?

Indeed it would OBG, an absolutely vital difference. It's a huge missing piece of the jigsaw.

We all have a soft spot for Eddie because he's one of ours, but he's Championship level. Jesus is a good technical footballer, but we all knew he wasn't a natural goalscorer when we signed him. He also tends to run up blind alleys and spends too much time on his arse appealing to the ref.
I like Jesus, good control and ability to run with the ball but whenever he loses it he looks like he is going to cry and it does my head in .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:11 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:20 pm
Pony game from both sides, but something stood out for me. I fully expected us to get beaten as usual against this lot, for the very reason that I was talking about last season....namely that we play a very similar style of football as City, but less well and with lesser players. However, Arteta has so far refused to adjust our style for the game and has insisted on taking them on in a toe to toe, purist fashion. Wenger used to do exactly the same thing in the same stubborn manner and got the same duff results.

I think the analogy I used previously was that it was like two classical boxers going up against each other, where the more gifted will always win. Teams that have done reasonably well against City have, or employ a different style for the game and tend to sit deep and spring occasional fast attacks, with strikers that can finish half chances, which we definitely don't fucking have. To continue the boxing analogy, it's the classical boxer against the slugger, who can absorb the shots and might be able to land a couple of heavy rights to KO the other guy.

While we didn't exactly spring fast attacks with lethal strikers :roll: , at least on this occasion we played a less expansive game and sat deeper and made sure to get into a good, tight defensive position. We offered little threat, but City posed little threat in return, which enabled us to stay in the game and nick a deflected winner. Maybe, just maybe, Arteta had learnt something and approached it differently, but I'll wait for the game at their place before getting carried away about that.

As for our boys, the two centre halves were top notch, which goes to show how fucking ridiculous the decision to bench Gabriel was at the start of the season. He and Saliba make a good partnership, which will only improve the longer they play together. Gabriel gets some stick on here, but I've always like him and he always gives 100%. Saliba is quality and if we can keep him at the club, that partnership can run and run for years.

Rice was solid and strong in centre mid, something we haven't had for years. give him a top level partner and we're in buisness. Martinelli made a big difference and in my book is a more important player than Saka (who I also rate highly).

The game showed again how desperately we need a proper goal scoring striker. We all knew it was vital to add one in the summer, but Arteta was never going to do that and sadly, I doubt he will in Jan. It will be our undoing.

As for Raya, fuck me, he better get his finger out a bit sharpish, or we need to put Ramsdale back in...which is quite a statement from me! I knew fuck all about Raya, but the reports were positive, so I'll give him another 2 or 3 games, but very iffy so far.
It reminded me of a Chess Game in that we were far more cautious with the ball and only started attacks when the whole team were in place so that we couldn't get hit on the break. Maybe Arteta is learning at long last!

Saliba & Gabriel were Awesome and Rice was also (All three contenders for MOTM).

What a difference it would make IF we had a Proper Striker instead of the in-effective Nketiah. :?

Indeed it would OBG, an absolutely vital difference. It's a huge missing piece of the jigsaw.

We all have a soft spot for Eddie because he's one of ours, but he's Championship level. Jesus is a good technical footballer, but we all knew he wasn't a natural goalscorer when we signed him. He also tends to run up blind alleys and spends too much time on his arse appealing to the ref.
I like Jesus, good control and ability to run with the ball but whenever he loses it he looks like he is going to cry and it does my head in .
He has deceptive odd body language kind of similar to the way Ozil did. Whilst Ozil looked uninterested and demotivated and "lazy" to the lesser educated football fan, Jesus looks sulky all the time to me. I think Jesus is a fabulous player on his day with a lot to offer but his finishing is poor too often unfortunately. A shame because I love his skill and ability.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:06 pm
THE Arsenal 1 v mancky $hitty NIL ! Benchcam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYatvoUmEk

:barscarf:
I wish they'd pan around to behind the goals for these videos. North Bank and Clock End defo go more ballistic than the West Lower. Looks a bit underwhelming tbh. Was absolute mayhem when we scored.