Red dippers H Sun 4th Feb KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Red dippers H Sun 4th Feb KO 430pm

Post by rodders999 »

Final word on the celebration thing, and being pragmatic about this league and what it has become as a competition, but beating the victims and city in games as we’ve done this season and being in the hunt down the home stretch is sadly the height of things we can celebrate.

That may sound defeatist but take away the covid asterix season and city have won it 5 times in a row now. This season they’ll easily make it 6 and they’ll stroll to the champions league again too. Utterly depressing and the sheer predictability of it is killing the league. For either ourselves or the victims to beat them to it I reckon it would take winning at least 13 of the last 15 games…..and even that may not be enough like when the victims finished second with 97 points.

Basically you need to be perfect or near perfect to win it. A couple of draws and your dead.

City now have 9 wins in a row in all competitions, they’re starting to click into gear just as they always do at this time of year and they’ll blow the rest away yet again.

They’ve Everton at home Saturday morning which will make it 10 and off they go…

:suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:18 am
Final word on the celebration thing, and being pragmatic about this league and what it has become as a competition, but beating the victims and city in games as we’ve done this season and being in the hunt down the home stretch is sadly the height of things we can celebrate.

That may sound defeatist but take away the covid asterix season and city have won it 5 times in a row now. This season they’ll easily make it 6 and they’ll stroll to the champions league again too. Utterly depressing and the sheer predictability of it is killing the league. For either ourselves or the victims to beat them to it I reckon it would take winning at least 13 of the last 15 games…..and even that may not be enough like when the victims finished second with 97 points.

Basically you need to be perfect or near perfect to win it. A couple of draws and your dead.

City now have 9 wins in a row in all competitions, they’re starting to click into gear just as they always do at this time of year and they’ll blow the rest away yet again.

They’ve Everton at home Saturday morning which will make it 10 and off they go…

:suicide:
Agreed 100% rodders. For me they are the typical rich Baldy Pep team. They have the most money they buy the best players they win the trophies. It's the modern game. No more bringing through half a youth team over a period of three or four years, adding a couple of canny purchases and having a manager tactically out think everyone. Now it's the most money buys the trophies. The romance of the game is dead.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:05 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:38 am
You can win these games when you are class off the ball. Out of possession we are so well drilled. Gone are the days where we used to ship three goals minimum to Liverpool or City home and away.

Im really looking forward to the City away game. We shut them out at home, and were very tight in our games v Liverpool. Can we go to the Etihad and limit City in thier own backyard, and potentially win?

Its for this this reason I am optimistic about our CL hopes. 5 times we have played Liverpool and Man City this season, and the aggregate is 6-5. Albeit 2 home games, one away game and a neutral venue at a community shield (city fielded a very strong team). If you can do this against Liverpool and Man City, why not Real Madrid or Bayern?

ANd still so many of you would be happy to sack Arteta and 'give someone else a go'.
The bit I've highlighted in red, as much as anything else you've posted mate, says you do not have a clue about football. You come across as a fan of some other sport like rugby or basketball trying to engage with football without the understanding of the game that a lifetime's involvement can only bring.

Your comments above remind me of an old comedy sketch where they had American sports commentators covering English football and saying things like "yes yes it's a throw on for the London Reds! Oh no there's a goal stoppage now!" :lol:

I've said this before, but I also get the impression you copy and paste a lot of your posts from some wanky millennial "soccer" blogs.

I could be doing you a huge disservice here of course but this is the impression you give.
No, you dont see it. You dont see the improvement in quality under Arteta. Why else would you advocate Inzaghi as an Arteta replacement?

You dont rate Tomiyasu and Zinchenko, You limit Jesus contribution to the amount of goals he scored. The significant improvement we have seen under Arteta which is reflective of our position last season and this season - I forsaw it, whenever one else was wanting Arteta out (and some still do), I was sitting with a wry smile on my face rolling my eyes for thier failure to spot the underlying improvements.

If you cant recognize how we shut teams out, how hard our lines are to be broken through then I would look in the mirror. Most of what I said can be backed up by the numbers. Arsenal have conceded the least amount of shots on goal all year. Conceded the equal least amount of goals along with Liverpool. I also believe we are 1st or a close 2nd in terms of opposition touches din our own box. Liverpool had one effort on goal, and aside formt he Saliba Raya howler, didnt really create and high quality chances - was mostly MacAllister having long range efforts. Same happened against City in the 1-0 win. Reduced their chance creation to next to nothing.

I dont know what your seeing. But im seeing one of the best off the ball teams in Europe. Arteta has drilled it into the team, and its why my brain goes numb whenever I hear Arsenal fans wanting to sack Arteta to 'give someone else a turn'.
Gotta be honest, a lot of that sounds delusional. :lol:

But the one key point you are missing is that while you build a team from the back, you win games by scoring goals. The key area your genius manager has completely overlooked for 4 years is centre forward. We desperately need a top striker (or two) and yet he persists with The Feather and Jesus. And yet he buys the confirmed shit that is Havertz and then sticks with him.

Again you don't seem to read or at least comprehend a lot of the posts on here. I've praised Jesus often as a footballer, a creator of chaos in the oppo box, but the one thing he is not is a clinical goal scorer.

You seem incapable of admitting that was also a shit mouser performance as much as us playing well. They were all over the place. That's not to detract from our performance, we were mostly really good and deserved the win. But there is no shame in being honest and admitting that victims side we beat was a shadow of the team they have been and mostly still are.

Your obsession with numbers and stats shows a deep lack of true knowledge about the game. Stats don't win trophies. Being a top "off the ball team" doesn't win you trophies. Stats can tell you whatever you want them to. They are nonsense in relation to football. The entire disastrous latter half of the Wenger era was awash in stats and those stats never won us a league trophy did they.

Finally, trying to discredit multiple posters' comments by facetiously misquoting them as just wanting to "give someone else a turn" only makes you seem less informed and less capable of providing a decent discussion or debate. You know full well that is not the argument. The argument is to replace Arteta with a more experienced pragmatic manager that can put his ego to the side and address the very obvious shortcomings in this team.

Finally finally, answer augie's question there's a good chap. :wink:

You dont think Arteta is pragmatic? Based on what?

And some of the managers you mentioned to replace Arteta were dire. Inzaghi? De Zerbi? Conte? Cmon.
A pragmatic manager admits he made a mistake and drops / offloads a poor quality player. A pragmatic manager sees that we desperately need a top striker and diverts a chunk of the 700 million he has spent to buying that top striker. A pragmatic manager does not spend 700 million and end up with so many poor to average players and only a handful of quality ones.

Personally I dont think De Zerbi is that great but there is no telling if he would do better at a club like Arsenal with more money and the attraction for top players of playing at the biggest club in the biggest city in Europe. That's my point again, you cannot prejudge many managers. Sure there's the proven idiot failures like Warnock and Fat Sam, but not all managers are that bad.

Conte has won 5 league titles. That's not dire. He looked terrible at the scum but that toxic piss take of a club and its bitter delusional owner could make almost any manager look shit. He could be a huge success at Arsenal. Of course there's no guarantee of that and that, as I've said, is the chance you take with every appointment unless you are so rich you can do a citeh and just buy trophies.

Another name is Allegri. Winner of 6 league titles.

Yet another is Simeone. Managed to win 2 league titles in a two horse race at the time, and won 2 Europa cups, also unlucky to be runner up in 2 champions league finals.

As I keep saying there is no guarantee that any of them would succeed. But fear of the unknown should not stop us looking for a better or more experienced or more pragmatic manager than Arteta.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:17 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm

The bit I've highlighted in red, as much as anything else you've posted mate, says you do not have a clue about football. You come across as a fan of some other sport like rugby or basketball trying to engage with football without the understanding of the game that a lifetime's involvement can only bring.

Your comments above remind me of an old comedy sketch where they had American sports commentators covering English football and saying things like "yes yes it's a throw on for the London Reds! Oh no there's a goal stoppage now!" :lol:

I've said this before, but I also get the impression you copy and paste a lot of your posts from some wanky millennial "soccer" blogs.

I could be doing you a huge disservice here of course but this is the impression you give.
No, you dont see it. You dont see the improvement in quality under Arteta. Why else would you advocate Inzaghi as an Arteta replacement?

You dont rate Tomiyasu and Zinchenko, You limit Jesus contribution to the amount of goals he scored. The significant improvement we have seen under Arteta which is reflective of our position last season and this season - I forsaw it, whenever one else was wanting Arteta out (and some still do), I was sitting with a wry smile on my face rolling my eyes for thier failure to spot the underlying improvements.

If you cant recognize how we shut teams out, how hard our lines are to be broken through then I would look in the mirror. Most of what I said can be backed up by the numbers. Arsenal have conceded the least amount of shots on goal all year. Conceded the equal least amount of goals along with Liverpool. I also believe we are 1st or a close 2nd in terms of opposition touches din our own box. Liverpool had one effort on goal, and aside formt he Saliba Raya howler, didnt really create and high quality chances - was mostly MacAllister having long range efforts. Same happened against City in the 1-0 win. Reduced their chance creation to next to nothing.

I dont know what your seeing. But im seeing one of the best off the ball teams in Europe. Arteta has drilled it into the team, and its why my brain goes numb whenever I hear Arsenal fans wanting to sack Arteta to 'give someone else a turn'.

But the one key point you are missing is that while you build a team from the back, you win games by scoring goals. The key area your genius manager has completely overlooked for 4 years is centre forward. We desperately need a top striker (or two) and yet he persists with The Feather and Jesus. And yet he buys the confirmed shit that is Havertz and then sticks with him.

Again you don't seem to read or at least comprehend a lot of the posts on here. I've praised Jesus often as a footballer, a creator of chaos in the oppo box, but the one thing he is not is a clinical goal scorer.

You seem incapable of admitting that was also a shit mouser performance as much as us playing well. They were all over the place. That's not to detract from our performance, we were mostly really good and deserved the win. But there is no shame in being honest and admitting that victims side we beat was a shadow of the team they have been and mostly still are.

Your obsession with numbers and stats shows a deep lack of true knowledge about the game. Stats don't win trophies. Being a top "off the ball team" doesn't win you trophies. Stats can tell you whatever you want them to. They are nonsense in relation to football. The entire disastrous latter half of the Wenger era was awash in stats and those stats never won us a league trophy did they.

Finally, trying to discredit multiple posters' comments by facetiously misquoting them as just wanting to "give someone else a turn" only makes you seem less informed and less capable of providing a decent discussion or debate. You know full well that is not the argument. The argument is to replace Arteta with a more experienced pragmatic manager that can put his ego to the side and address the very obvious shortcomings in this team.

And some of the managers you mentioned to replace Arteta were dire. Inzaghi? De Zerbi? Conte? Cmon.
A pragmatic manager admits he made a mistake and drops / offloads a poor quality player. A pragmatic manager sees that we desperately need a top striker and diverts a chunk of the 700 million he has spent to buying that top striker. A pragmatic manager does not spend 700 million and end up with so many poor to average players and only a handful of quality ones.

Personally I dont think De Zerbi is that great but there is no telling if he would do better at a club like Arsenal with more money and the attraction for top players of playing at the biggest club in the biggest city in Europe. That's my point again, you cannot prejudge many managers. Sure there's the proven idiot failures like Warnock and Fat Sam, but not all managers are that bad.

Conte has won 5 league titles. That's not dire. He looked terrible at the scum but that toxic piss take of a club and its bitter delusional owner could make almost any manager look shit. He could be a huge success at Arsenal. Of course there's no guarantee of that and that, as I've said, is the chance you take with every appointment unless you are so rich you can do a citeh and just buy trophies.

Yet another is Simeone. Managed to win 2 league titles in a two horse race at the time, and won 2 Europa cups, also unlucky to be runner up in 2 champions league finals.

As I keep saying there is no guarantee that any of them would succeed. But fear of the unknown should not stop us looking for a better or more experienced or more pragmatic manager than Arteta.
Yeah but you would count Tomiyasu, Zinchenko, White as average, thats why you think we have only a handful of quality players. As for Allegri winning 6 titles, yeah, with Juventus when they were the top dogs in Italy. To win a title with Arsenal you would need to have to punch upwards to Man City and Liverpool. Conte won the league in Pep's first year, it would be a bit different taking on Pep when he is entrenched and has been working with his team for 8 years.

Allegri, Conte, Izaghi - you reckon Liverpool will shortlist any of these? You reckon City would shortlist any of them in the case Pep leaves?

Arteta sets a high bar, there are not plenty of managers out there who could do better. If we sacked Arteta and hired anyone of those three, I would point blank give up on winning the title, and I would expect it all to unravel and in time lose Saliba, Saka, Martinelli ect.

If Arteta was managing Juventus during the phase they won 8 in a row, he would have picked up a league title too. Not every league title is indicative of brilliant management. Klopps Bundesliga is worth more than Pep's Bundesliga titles.

If Arteta went to Celtic for a seaosn and sleepwalked a Scottish Premiership, would that make you feel better?

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:06 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Yeah but you would count Tomiyasu, Zinchenko, White as average, thats why you think we have only a handful of quality players. As for Allegri winning 6 titles, yeah, with Juventus when they were the top dogs in Italy. To win a title with Arsenal you would need to have to punch upwards to Man City and Liverpool. Conte won the league in Pep's first year, it would be a bit different taking on Pep when he is entrenched and has been working with his team for 8 years.

Allegri, Conte, Izaghi - you reckon Liverpool will shortlist any of these? You reckon City would shortlist any of them in the case Pep leaves?

Arteta sets a high bar, there are not plenty of managers out there who could do better. If we sacked Arteta and hired anyone of those three, I would point blank give up on winning the title, and I would expect it all to unravel and in time lose Saliba, Saka, Martinelli ect.

If Arteta was managing Juventus during the phase they won 8 in a row, he would have picked up a league title too. Not every league title is indicative of brilliant management. Klopps Bundesliga is worth more than Pep's Bundesliga titles.

If Arteta went to Celtic for a seaosn and sleepwalked a Scottish Premiership, would that make you feel better?
You won't answer Augie's questions because you can't face the actual truth

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

They won't shortlist Arteta either.

Please answer augie's questions.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Let's Enjoy That Once More Is It ! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVNKJHzByE

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

We are going in circles here and boring the rest of the forum. We will just have to agree we have very very differing opinions on this.

I will finish by saying you should answer augie's questions because if you really truly belive in what you have posted here lately you should have no problem answering them. Avoiding them completely undercuts your point of view and your argument.

Actually to really finish I'll correct you on those three players.

Ben White is an average player. That's not a bad thing in itself. But he us not a top right back. He's average and quite good on his day.

Tomi for me was brilliant when he first came in, strong and adventurous, but his game and fitness have both gone downhill to varying degrees in the last few months. Something's not right there. Either Arteta has coached the adventure out of his game or he is struggling with the pace of the PL and picking up these injuries because of that.

I never said Zinchenko was average. He's not. He's utter shit, particularly in the nonsense modern soccer ball role of inverted left back. Maybe if he was played as a proper left back and coached in that role he could prove a decent player, but he has been terrible for months now. We suffer so much overload on his side because he is constantly caught out of position and does not seem to appreciate the importance of the defensive side of the game. Again a top coach sorts that out. An egomaniac let's it fester on because to admit he was wrong is not something his ego will ever let him do.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Some see it with Arteta, others fence sit, others are not convinced.

I think Arteta is entrenched with the club, the players have a deep bond with him, and there will be dividends paid in backing Arteta.

As for the real-life chances he gets sacked. The club backed him during the dark times of 2019-2021, so given our current position, he isnt going anywhere. The reports of a new contract are true, and with the way he beat down the Barcelona rumours, he isnt going anywhere.

He also strikes me as someone who wants to win, and unlike later years Wenger, isnt content with patting himself on the back if we finish 3rd or 2nd. So dont worry about the will and drive to win, because I can promise you Arteta wants to win either the PL or CL more than we all do.

We will win the league with Arteta. Might not be this year, but it will happen.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:23 am

I think Arteta is entrenched with the club, the players have a deep bond with him, and there will be dividends paid in backing Arteta.

As for the real-life chances he gets sacked. The club backed him during the dark times of 2019-2021, so given our current position, he isnt going anywhere. The reports of a new contract are true, and with the way he beat down the Barcelona rumours, he isnt going anywhere.

He also strikes me as someone who wants to win, and unlike later years Wenger, isnt content with patting himself on the back if we finish 3rd or 2nd. So dont worry about the will and drive to win, because I can promise you Arteta wants to win either the PL or CL more than we all do.

:rubchin:

Uhhhmmmm! Okaaaaaay. But when are you going to answer Augie's (very reasonable) questions? :|

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:23 am

I don’t think anyone can doubt his passion for our club, I’ve said in here previously he took an initial pay drop, due to signing on deadline day without bonus agreements etc.

Anyone was correct to doubt his credibility having no management experience, but to me he has galvanised not only the team, the squad, but the whole club and fanbase to the extent that our crowd are now a plus to us in matches ( even under Wenkers title teams that wasn’t always the case )

I question his decisions in Havertz, Zinchencko playing inverted, but at the end of the season he will live or die based on our performances and finishing position ( New contract agreement obviously but I’m thinking in terms of fans perception)

Are we better than last season - attack wise no, ( strange to say after a 6-0 away win ) but defensively we are unquestionably more solid and harder to create chances against.