Cheaty C.UNTS vs THE Arsenal A Sun March 31st 16:30. Prem.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Re: Cheaty C.UNTS vs THE Arsenal A Sun March 31st 16:30. Prem.

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm
You were 100% Right All Along DB... I Blame Falky he watched Braveheart And Got All Weird.
:shock:

Midz

Post by Midz »

I'm laughing at the title. :coffeespit:

wibble

Post by wibble »

OneBardGooner wrote:
You were 100% Right All Along DB... I Blame Falky he watched Braveheart And Got All Weird.
You may take our thread titles, but you’ll never take our FREEDOM! :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
You may take our thread titles, but you’ll never take our FREEDOM! :barscarf: :barscarf:
:lol: :barscarf:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:10 pm
wibble wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Cnuts :rubchin: :wink: Win lose or draw at Citeh I think I'll do the thread v Luton cos this has been nothing short of a disgrace :lol: DB waded in like Xhaka at Anfield last season changing the title and it's went all to fuck :oops: :cry: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Cnuts :rubchin: :wink: Win lose or draw at Citeh I think I'll do the thread v Luton cos this has been nothing short of a disgrace :lol: DB waded in like Xhaka at Anfield last season changing the title and it's went all to fuck :oops: :cry: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

In my defence I did let OneBard change it back. And then one of you changed it again. At which point I washed my hands of the whole affair! :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

In the evolution and development of any team, its all about clearing the key hurdles en route to the desired outcome - in this instance the PL title.

If we go back to where we were even a couple of years ago. We couldn't buy a point at Anfield (in fact Liverpool full stop at times), had a shit record away to the vermin spanning the best part of a decade, continually roughed up at Everton, terrible record at OT etc. Slowly but surely we'd been flipping all of those on their head, and the elephant in the room was our abysmal record against City. The Community Shield may have gone some way to denting that, but the home win definitely did. Probably the last skeleton in the cupboard in terms of the PL, is going to the Etihad and avoiding an absolute rinsing and coming away with something. Our 4-1 surrender up there was as meek as it gets - I can remember Haaland bullying the fuck out of us, Grealish laughing at us, and KDB being given the freedom of the park to do as he pleases. They are a great team but we were so weak and naive that day, and it carried on a dreadful trait of getting stuffed by them when something like 20 other teams had taken something from there since we last had in 2016

A big one. We will be the best rested team in the league, we have barely any injures at all (last year was the whole Holding v Saliba issue) and supposedly stronger and better for the lessons of last season

This game won't decide the title, but it is a crucial development step for this team, just like the other ones they've taken along the way of the past 2 years or so

Its about this time of year when it normally goes tits up and defeat here in the past would likely upset the rhythm and we'd follow it up with dropping points against crap teams we'd normally swat out of sight.....so much at stake, not just this one game. Can only hope that we really are mentally stronger in so many ways and that Rice will make a significant difference, as will that settled backline (which must include Kiwior as opposed to Zinchenko).

I'm going for a spirited 2-2 draw and would gladly take that right now!

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 am
In the evolution and development of any team, its all about clearing the key hurdles en route to the desired outcome - in this instance the PL title.

If we go back to where we were even a couple of years ago. We couldn't buy a point at Anfield (in fact Liverpool full stop at times), had a shit record away to the vermin spanning the best part of a decade, continually roughed up at Everton, terrible record at OT etc. Slowly but surely we'd been flipping all of those on their head, and the elephant in the room was our abysmal record against City. The Community Shield may have gone some way to denting that, but the home win definitely did. Probably the last skeleton in the cupboard in terms of the PL, is going to the Etihad and avoiding an absolute rinsing and coming away with something. Our 4-1 surrender up there was as meek as it gets - I can remember Haaland bullying the fuck out of us, Grealish laughing at us, and KDB being given the freedom of the park to do as he pleases. They are a great team but we were so weak and naive that day, and it carried on a dreadful trait of getting stuffed by them when something like 20 other teams had taken something from there since we last had in 2016

A big one. We will be the best rested team in the league, we have barely any injures at all (last year was the whole Holding v Saliba issue) and supposedly stronger and better for the lessons of last season

This game won't decide the title, but it is a crucial development step for this team, just like the other ones they've taken along the way of the past 2 years or so

Its about this time of year when it normally goes tits up and defeat here in the past would likely upset the rhythm and we'd follow it up with dropping points against crap teams we'd normally swat out of sight.....so much at stake, not just this one game. Can only hope that we really are mentally stronger in so many ways and that Rice will make a significant difference, as will that settled backline (which must include Kiwior as opposed to Zinchenko).

Careful SteveO you will be accused of being a fan boy :rubchin:

IF we did get a draw ( or better ) it would mean neither City nor Liverpool had beaten us this season in the league, which in itself means progress v other campaigns where we fell woefully short against the top teams.

While this match in itself won’t dictate the league winners it certainly is a huge marker for how far we have come as per SteveO’s post

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Good post. Reasoned and fair in my opinion.

Couple of points I'd make about the game. I say it every time we play them, but the reason we struggle so much and even more so than some lesser teams like the scum, is because of our style of play. We play a possession based game of ball to feet, exactly like City, but simply not as good. I've used the analogy before, but if two classic boxers go up against each other, the more highly skilled will win. If a classical boxer goes up against a heavy punching slugger, then his style can be disrupted and he might get caught with a few big shots. We've all seen it many times. It's why teams that can sit deep, but can get the ball from front to back quickly, even with a long ball over the top, can often cause City trouble.

Apologies if I've said this before on here, but when Mourinho was at Inter and they won the CL, they put out Pep's Barca, who were in their pomp, along the way. They won home and away and the simple tactic to beat the press was to play a long diagonal from the full back position into the channel in Barca's half. The strikers were primed to run onto them and because it was a diagonal, it was very difficult for the goalkeeper to come for it. Consequently, the centre halves on the halfway line (the full backs were more advanced, involved in the press), were having to turn and chase back out to the channel looking panicked. It scuppered the usual pressing tactic, because the centre halves started to drop deeper and the gap between the advanced and defensive players was too big. In the end they fell apart, not knowing what to do. It's always amazed me that others haven't learn from the tactic. We have two good wingers that could benefit from these type of long balls against City. Get the centre halves turning and they hate it.

Second point, you'll see Havertz in all his gory in this game. He'll hardly touch the ball and if it does go to him, it will bounce 5 yards off him, or he'll be shrugged out the way and the ball taken from him. It's in games against the big boys where the sub optimal players stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd take a draw all day long.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Perfect summation, and a very balanced opinion on where we are. It never was going to be a straight line up, but we are now going to places like Anfield and not getting stiffed, the big test as you say is how we deal with almost the same sort of game as last season against Fraud FC. Having Saliba in the team for this game is massive, it's no coincidence he's had stellar games against Mbappe and Haaland in his relatively fledgling career already.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Fuck, Gabriel has withdrawn from the Brazil squad through injury. :banghead:

I hope this is either bullshit or just a precaution as we need our first choice CB's staying fit!!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 am
falkirk goon wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

In my defence I did let OneBard change it back. And then one of you changed it again. At which point I washed my hands of the whole affair! :lol: :wink:
But the Three of Us Can Still Agree that Xhaka aka: Clive IS a C.U.N.T! Yeah!?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wibble wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

By 'English' I think he means CheatingCuntsCity :proudtosay:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:

Absolutely. Always was. Always will be. :lol: 8)

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:21 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Absolutely. Always was. Always will be. :lol: 8)
I concur wholeheartedly with your concurring DB 8)