THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

Post by mcdowell42 »

In fairness I'm in a fog most of the time :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:29 pm

:lol: Ain't we all.

I don't know if I've told this story on here before, but in the mid 80s I said to the bird I was with at the time, let's take off to Ireland, I've never been there. So booked a crossing and spent a fortnight driving all over the Republic, saw quite a lot. Got this thick tourist guide book of Irish B&Bs from an Irish tourist office in London and used to arrive in a town, look up a place to stay and call from a phone box....remember them?

Anyway, got to Galway city and booked a place and the lady of the house said that we were very lucky that she had a room, because the races were on and everywhere was banged out...not her words :lol: . I'm not a racing man, so didn't know the races were on, but what a great atmosphere in the centre of town, people everywhere, live music in all the pubs, brilliant. Next morning, while having a great breakfast that all the B&B ladies used to cook....I'd never had home made soda bread before, in fact hadn't even heard of it...the landlady said that we ought to drive out to Clifden because the views from the coast were fantastic, so off we set. As I drove through the barren and windswept countryside, the rain was coming down like stair rods and on one occasion a fucking sheep ran right out in front of us and I had to slam the brakes on. Went past Kylemore Abbey, which I didn't know was Kylemore Abbey until I stopped and looked and when we eventually got to Clfden, which must be 50 or 60 miles from Galway and took a while on those roads, there was thick fucking fog! You could literally barely see your hand in front of your face. We went into a tea shop, had a drink, couldn't see the other side of the road as we looked out the window and decided to turn around and drive back! To this day I've no idea what the views at Clifden are like. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:

You mean a Hlebby type Fog?

:ihh:

:D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:05 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:27 am

Yes, never particularly fancied Taormina, which is a rocky coastline too and I prefer sandy beaches. I do business with a guy in Calabria, but we always meet in Florence, so I've not been down there. Very isolated part of Italy and pretty deprived I think. Rocky and wild, but I'm sure it's stunning.
I visited a couple of years back. Started and finished in Catania - which is a great city and within easy reach of Mount Etna.

But also had a few days island hopping in the Aeolian islands - one of them has an active volcano :shock: and you go out in small boats at night to see the lava coming down

Must have been nice Rob. I think Stromboli has an active volcano but don’t know if any others have. I’d like to visit Ischia which is a little further north and I know people who’ve been abs say it’s really nice. I’ve never been to Elba either, which is just off the Tuscan coast and I’d like to get there too someday.
All the tourists go to Capri..Retro :D ...but have been to Ischia, elba and monte cristo and a few other barely inhabited islands

Fabulous Red, what did you think of Ischia and Elba? I have good reports of both.

This forum is becoming like the Italian Tourist Board. :D
Hard to choose really but really like Ischia...although both have great beaches and crystal clear water...with a walkway to a castle at Ischia, food and people great...Elba i also rate very highly..both are naturaly beautiful places...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

I don't know if I've told this story on here before, but in the mid 80s I said to the bird I was with at the time, let's take off to Ireland, I've never been there. So booked a crossing and spent a fortnight driving all over the Republic, saw quite a lot. Got this thick tourist guide book of Irish B&Bs from an Irish tourist office in London and used to arrive in a town, look up a place to stay and call from a phone box....remember them?

Anyway, got to Galway city and booked a place and the lady of the house said that we were very lucky that she had a room, because the races were on and everywhere was banged out...not her words :lol: . I'm not a racing man, so didn't know the races were on, but what a great atmosphere in the centre of town, people everywhere, live music in all the pubs, brilliant. Next morning, while having a great breakfast that all the B&B ladies used to cook....I'd never had home made soda bread before, in fact hadn't even heard of it...the landlady said that we ought to drive out to Clifden because the views from the coast were fantastic, so off we set. As I drove through the barren and windswept countryside, the rain was coming down like stair rods and on one occasion a fucking sheep ran right out in front of us and I had to slam the brakes on. Went past Kylemore Abbey, which I didn't know was Kylemore Abbey until I stopped and looked and when we eventually got to Clfden, which must be 50 or 60 miles from Galway and took a while on those roads, there was thick fucking fog! You could literally barely see your hand in front of your face. We went into a tea shop, had a drink, couldn't see the other side of the road as we looked out the window and decided to turn around and drive back! To this day I've no idea what the views at Clifden are like. :lol:
:lol:

Just be thankful you didn't get raped by the locals! :lol: :wink: :wink:

But yeah, have to admit even as Dub, the West of Oireland is brilliant. Mostly lovely people and beautiful countryside. You should try get over to Donegal if you can mate. Wild unspoiled beaches and mountains. Just stunning over there.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:46 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm

Must have been nice Rob. I think Stromboli has an active volcano but don’t know if any others have. I’d like to visit Ischia which is a little further north and I know people who’ve been abs say it’s really nice. I’ve never been to Elba either, which is just off the Tuscan coast and I’d like to get there too someday.
All the tourists go to Capri..Retro :D ...but have been to Ischia, elba and monte cristo and a few other barely inhabited islands

Fabulous Red, what did you think of Ischia and Elba? I have good reports of both.

This forum is becoming like the Italian Tourist Board. :D
Went to Elba as a kid back in the 70s. To say it was under developed back then would be an under statement. Can't remember much about it tbh, except it was as hot as fuck. Apparently the locals all went on holiday elsewhere as to get away from the heat :shock:
A kid in the 70's?? Fuck me Nick, didn't realise that you were an old fucker too. There's quite a few of you on here. :lol: :wink:
Yes mate, afraid so, it's the sane place for us oldies :D

First game was home to Leicester in 76 or 77, we lost :roll:

But what really sealed the deal for me was my first European tie, at night v Red Star Belgrade in 1980. Something about a night game that I still prefer today. Just feels like a different atmosphere. Also the first time I went to McDs, and not Mcdowells BTW :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:55 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Just be thankful you didn't get raped by the locals!
:lol: :wink: :wink:

But yeah, have to admit even as Dub, the West of Oireland is brilliant. Mostly lovely people and beautiful countryside. You should try get over to Donegal if you can mate. Wild unspoiled beaches and mountains. Just stunning over there.
Is it close to where Augie lives :shock: :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Funny you should say that.......

I have to say, parts of the west....and I saw a lot, from Cork and Kilarney up the coast to Galway, before heading back east....did have an air of Deliverance about them. The only difference was fiddles and bodhrans rather than banjos. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nick Nack wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Welcome to augie-country, boy.... now squeal like a hog! :shock:

:lol: :wink:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Nick Nack wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I pray that's not through experience :shock: :D

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

No Bayern fans as they are banned, but I bet still won't get a ticket in the ballot :banghead:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

True what you say about the beaches and the wild beauty of the West of Ireland DB. When we were in Killarney we drive to the Dingle peninsula which has the fantastic Inch beach with a backdrop of sand dunes. Locals told us where to go to find the school house that they used in Ryan’s Daughter, which is in the middle of nowhere on a cliff ever overlooking the Atlantic. It was in disrepair, but is apparently a terrible state now.
Anyway, crossed the Shannon into Clare and went to the Cliffs of Moher. Only time I’ve ever seen puffins. Anyway, although it’s almost 40 years ago, I could tell you a lot of story about that couple of weeks in Ireland, but don’t want to bore you all rigid.

As for Donegal, I know it’s wild and rugged, but apparently fucking cold and wet. The missus of an older cousin of mine is from Donegal and after years of being in London, they moved to Sligo a few years ago, just south of Donegal. He was a proper London boy, but he seems to be loving it out there. Saw them at a family funeral last year and they were saying that we must visit. I’d like to go to Sligo with the Yeats stuff etc.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:33 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

True what you say about the beaches and the wild beauty of the West of Ireland DB. When we were in Killarney we drive to the Dingle peninsula which has the fantastic Inch beach with a backdrop of sand dunes. Locals told us where to go to find the school house that they used in Ryan’s Daughter, which is in the middle of nowhere on a cliff ever overlooking the Atlantic. It was in disrepair, but is apparently a terrible state now.
Anyway, crossed the Shannon into Clare and went to the Cliffs of Moher. Only time I’ve ever seen puffins. Anyway, although it’s almost 40 years ago, I could tell you a lot of story about that couple of weeks in Ireland, but don’t want to bore you all rigid.
Wish you’d thought of that before you posted bloody Judith Chalmers :roll: :blah: :lol: