THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm
Sicily is nice if you avoid Taormina which is one giant tourist trap , we took the ferry Calabria to Messina and drove round for a week . Lovely people very worth visiting.

Yes, never particularly fancied Taormina, which is a rocky coastline too and I prefer sandy beaches. I do business with a guy in Calabria, but we always meet in Florence, so I've not been down there. Very isolated part of Italy and pretty deprived I think. Rocky and wild, but I'm sure it's stunning.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

best thing about Italy being not many English visit....they all fuck off to spain and greece

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 pm
best thing about Italy being not many English visit....they all fuck off to spain and greece
:lol: :lol:
True Red.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:27 am
A11M11 wrote:
Sicily is nice if you avoid Taormina which is one giant tourist trap , we took the ferry Calabria to Messina and drove round for a week . Lovely people very worth visiting.

Yes, never particularly fancied Taormina, which is a rocky coastline too and I prefer sandy beaches. I do business with a guy in Calabria, but we always meet in Florence, so I've not been down there. Very isolated part of Italy and pretty deprived I think. Rocky and wild, but I'm sure it's stunning.
Remember years ago was in a small village on the beach in Calabria and a beach vendor hadn't paid the mafioso their "fees". I watched on as these "guys" burnt his shack to the ground :shock:
I assume the owner also slept with a horses head :shock:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Remember years ago was in a small village on the beach in Calabria and a beach vendor hadn't paid the mafioso their "fees". I watched on as these "guys" burnt his shack to the ground :shock:

Yeah, the Ndrangheta (no chaps, that isn't a misspelling :D ) do have a fierce reputation.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:09 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Yeah, the Ndrangheta (no chaps, that isn't a misspelling :D ) do have a fierce reputation.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Was it Guy Fawkes Night?

:D

:rubchin:

:oops:

:hammer:

:goingtobed:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

cameron326 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:58 pm
Look at it this way. We have a decent shot at beating Bayern. Then in the semis we either face Madrid - which is doable to set up a really winnable final. Or we get two games to kick lumps out of Man City and hopefully destroy their title challenge.
I suppose the question is this.
Is it easier to beat the top teams over 2 legs or 1?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

I visited a couple of years back. Started and finished in Catania - which is a great city and within easy reach of Mount Etna.

But also had a few days island hopping in the Aeolian islands - one of them has an active volcano :shock: and you go out in small boats at night to see the lava coming down

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:05 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

I visited a couple of years back. Started and finished in Catania - which is a great city and within easy reach of Mount Etna.

But also had a few days island hopping in the Aeolian islands - one of them has an active volcano :shock: and you go out in small boats at night to see the lava coming down

Must have been nice Rob. I think Stromboli has an active volcano but don’t know if any others have. I’d like to visit Ischia which is a little further north and I know people who’ve been abs say it’s really nice. I’ve never been to Elba either, which is just off the Tuscan coast and I’d like to get there too someday.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Must have been nice Rob. I think Stromboli has an active volcano but don’t know if any others have. I’d like to visit Ischia which is a little further north and I know people who’ve been abs say it’s really nice. I’ve never been to Elba either, which is just off the Tuscan coast and I’d like to get there too someday.
All the tourists go to Capri..Retro :D ...but have been to Ischia, elba and monte cristo and a few other barely inhabited islands

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

All the tourists go to Capri..Retro :D ...but have been to Ischia, elba and monte cristo and a few other barely inhabited islands

Fabulous Red, what did you think of Ischia and Elba? I have good reports of both.

This forum is becoming like the Italian Tourist Board. :D

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Fabulous Red, what did you think of Ischia and Elba? I have good reports of both.

Went to Elba as a kid back in the 70s. To say it was under developed back then would be an under statement. Can't remember much about it tbh, except it was as hot as fuck. Apparently the locals all went on holiday elsewhere as to get away from the heat :shock:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:46 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Went to Elba as a kid back in the 70s. To say it was under developed back then would be an under statement. Can't remember much about it tbh, except it was as hot as fuck. Apparently the locals all went on holiday elsewhere as to get away from the heat :shock:
A kid in the 70's?? Fuck me Nick, didn't realise that you were an old fucker too. There's quite a few of you on here. :lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Should change the name of this thread to "A place in the sun" and fuck it down to the basement :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm
Should change the name of this thread to "A place in the sun" and fuck it down to the basement :lol:
Hold on a minute Mc, you're Irish, you don't know what the sun is...you've never seen it.

Now, "A Place in the Rain and Fog" maybe.

:lol: :wink: