Bayern bumholes A Ch lge QF 2nd leg Weds 17th April KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Bayern bumholes A Ch lge QF 2nd leg Weds 17th April KO 8pm

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:42 pm
Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 pm
Good effort but fell short. Lacking in some areas and change required to continue our progress. Took pep 7years to win the CL with 115 financial charges with city. A quarter final for our first time in years is a decent start.

Burning everything isn’t required but some tweaks to the recipe (mostly what Bobby highlighted above) oh well
It's at this elite level where the lack of a Haaland, Kane, peak Salah striker is the difference

We entered this season with Eddie and Jesus as the main options and ended up putting Kai there because the pair of them were as shite as we envisaged

Small but predictable margins. Haaland was the difference between a very good City and a CL/Treble winning City.
Thought the same thing during the game tonight. A killer striker would have had this tie over and done with after the first leg. Same story against Villa - Kane, Salah or Haaland up top and its job done by HT. That kind of elite finisher is the difference maker when it comes to the crunch.

You need a killer or you run the risk of being killed.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Good effort but fell short. Lacking in some areas and change required to continue our progress. Took pep 7years to win the CL with 115 financial charges with city. A quarter final for our first time in years is a decent start.

Burning everything isn’t required but some tweaks to the recipe (mostly what Bobby highlighted above) oh well
It's at this elite level where the lack of a Haaland, Kane, peak Salah striker is the difference

We entered this season with Eddie and Jesus as the main options and ended up putting Kai there because the pair of them were as shite as we envisaged

Small but predictable margins. Haaland was the difference between a very good City and a CL/Treble winning City.
Kane completely anonymous tonight.

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

You know what nobody ever mentions.....that this tosser got rid of Martinez, who gets picked nationally, ahead of Edison, and who went on to win a WC. He replaced him with Ramsdale, who was suspect from day one, then he brought in Raya, who is arguably as bad. So, while we desperately need a striker, we have to spend money on yet another goalkeeper. And for those who say Ramsdale is in the England set up......so is Eddie. Think about that the next time you big Ramsdale up.

Step

Post by Step »

I'd take Ramsdale over Neur for a start but our boss won't even take Ramsdale over Raya!!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Reno Gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:55 pm
You know what nobody ever mentions.....that this tosser got rid of Martinez, who gets picked nationally, ahead of Edison, and who went on to win a WC. He replaced him with Ramsdale, who was suspect from day one, then he brought in Raya, who is arguably as bad. So, while we desperately need a striker, we have to spend money on yet another goalkeeper. And for those who say Ramsdale is in the England set up......so is Eddie. Think about that the next time you big Ramsdale up.
Not convinced the Argentinian Martinez is picked ahead of the Brazilian Ederson.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:50 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yep agree Steve.missing a bit of star quality in the final third. Some horse trading is required,
Who is the question? Has Toney got that sparkle? So few of them around but honestly think if we go into next year with the same striker options we will come up short again

Get Timber fit, clear out the squad clutter, proper CF. What else?
I think we need another explosive wide player even if it involves making some hard decisions about players we are fond of.

Central striker ? I have no idea honestly bur one has to come in. I’m pretty sure it won’t be Toney given the opinion about his reputation at the club

We need a left back but that would involve us selling one of kiwior, Zinchenko and Tommy. Might be hard

Just a gut feeling but I think you might see some players being moved on this summer with little sentiment about it. Some have flunked their audition.

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:58 pm
Reno Gooner wrote:
Not convinced the Argentinian Martinez is picked ahead of the Brazilian Ederson.
My bad......I stand by the fact that he was the best keeper we had over Leno, Ramsdale and Raya. We have ex keepers all over the PL ffs.....3 of them at last count. And we need a new keeper next season...... Both Raya and Ramsdale are fraught with danger.

Viv Andersons Tache

Reno Gooner wrote:
You know what nobody ever mentions.....that this tosser got rid of Martinez, who gets picked nationally, ahead of Edison, and who went on to win a WC.
Eh

Ederson is Brazilian. Martinez is Argentinian

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Reno Gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Reno Gooner wrote:
My bad......I stand by the fact that he was the best keeper we had over Leno, Ramsdale and Raya. We have ex keepers all over the PL ffs.....3 of them at last count. And we need a new keeper next season...... Both Raya and Ramsdale are fraught with danger.
Make you right. Moved on the wrong keeper.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

A top striker like this one needed?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T763ReQFv ... Nhaw%3D%3D

Viv Andersons Tache

Step wrote:
I'd take Ramsdale over Neur for a start but our boss won't even take Ramsdale over Raya!!
Over Neur. Really. That blokes a pretty special keeper

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yep agree Steve.missing a bit of star quality in the final third. Some horse trading is required,
Who is the question? Has Toney got that sparkle? So few of them around but honestly think if we go into next year with the same striker options we will come up short again

I think we need another explosive wide player even if it involves making some hard decisions about players we are fond of.

Central striker ? I have no idea honestly bur one has to come in. I’m pretty sure it won’t be Toney given the opinion about his reputation at the club

We need a left back but that would involve us selling one of kiwior, Zinchenko and Tommy. Might be hard

Just a gut feeling but I think you might see some players being moved on this summer with little sentiment about it. Some have flunked their audition.
Out of those 3 players, easy to sell Zinchenko OR hang on to him as a back up no8.

Viv Andersons Tache

Thynker wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:08 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Out of those 3 players, easy to sell Zinchenko OR hang on to him as a back up no8.
Not sure. I think he would be the hardest. He’s on 150k a Week which would be tough to shift unless someone like Newcastle took a punt on him. I don’t buy the idea of playing him as an outright midfielder. He’s never played there in the premier league and would be very lightweight

I could see us moving on either of the other 2 though if I’m honest not that I think that’s more logical.

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

I don't think Arteta is ruthless enough to "move people on" Havertz will stay, guaranteed...Zinchenko, who knows???.....who exactly is he going to get rid of??? He's a lot like Wenger......he buys players and if they don't work out he hangs on and hangs on trying desperately to make it work. Jorghino will stay as well. He should definitely sell those he doesn't play...ESR for one and both keepers. Did we actually buy Raya or is he on loan? I also think Pepe is still on the books ffs.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Reno Gooner wrote:

Well, there is a poster on here that's mentioned it once or twice. :lol: :wink:

Got me in trouble with some during the first half of last season.

We've got two keepers and both suspect. I actually made the point earlier today on this thread.