The only Gooner in the village (Feb 12)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

usual thread starter. can't imagine the hell of the 1960s for a young Arsenal fan, but times must have been tough - making 1971 at the Lane all the sweeter :lol:

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I remember my dad going wild that Friday night at Anfield in 1989 when Mickey Thomas had sent us all delirious. He's was sat down, shaking his head, tears running down his face repeatedly saying; "18 years, I've waited 18 years for this and it's just bloody magic! We're Champions. You were minus 5 Trev when I last said that".

It hadn't helped that he missed the 1979 cup final but went in 78 and 80 or that he missed Wembley 87 but managed to go in 88!!

I suppose I'm lucky, born in 76, went to my first game in 83 but only really started following Arsenal with a passion in 1986. Littlewoods Cup in my first full season, another cup final in my second and then of course Anfield. Even the barren years under George (league wise) gave us Cup Finals and silverware a plenty.

I couldn't imagine waiting 18 years for a title. It was hard enough going 3 years without 1999 - 2001. Lets hope I never get to experience what it feels like.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Count yourself lucky you aren't a Spud, 46 years and nothing on the horizon. HAHAHAHA, life is beautiful.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

we'll have to do something a bit special to celebrate the 50th anniversary. irony is that spuds probably will as well - in all seriousness! let's face it, they brought out a range of merchandise to celebrate their return to europe in the uefa cup last summer! no shame.

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

The 60s were mostly dire and disappointing, save for George Eastham, Joe Baker and the occasional surprise win, so 70 and 71 were fantastic. I also missed the 79 final - but sadly not 78 and 80, so must have been something related to ticket allocations. A bit of a rollercoaster life supporting the Gunners but fantastic overall. And very much on the up these days. :) :D

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

Does any footage of the 1970 Fairs Cup win exist? (Arsenal's first trophy for 17 years). I've never seen any and TV companies used to delete footage regardless of its importance, i.e. no footage exists of the Beatles on TOTP or English TV coverage of the 1969 moon landings.

Personally I became an Arsenal fan in 1984, during a mini drought for Arsenal. I don't think Arsenal can say that they have had a bad season since 1985/86, by my definition that would be neither a European qualification (or during the post-Heysel ban in a would be position to qualify) or Cup final appearance.