TH 'rested' for Bolton ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

TH 'rested' for Bolton ?

Post by clockender1 »

errr..... why ?

he needs more games not less IMHO.

he may of scored 4 in 5 but to me his first touch on the ball looked slightly off quite a few times again on Sunday and he was puffing a bit too.

he is still the best mind, not just at his very best yet.

and if we don't win on Wednesday we don't play saturday ( i think ?) so if we lose up there he'll get a week off anyway.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

truth is arsene would be delighted to be ko'd at bolton so as to avoid a game on saturday and save the boys for psv away. he really doesn't care much about the fa cup. the only reason he played a half decent team at liverpool was because he knew the kids would play three days later in the carling and he wanted to keep the first team ticking over. ditto bolton at home - sandwiched on between 2 carling cup semi final legs. now there;s no reason to rest the kids - so expect a team with a mix of players needing to return from injury for match fitness and the boys who did the business in the carling. if they get through, expect a similar line up on saturday, before the big guns are wheeled out for holland.

remember man utd at villa park in the fa cup semi 2004? that is how much the fa cup means to arsene. it's amazing we've done so well in it over recent years, but that is testament to the depth in the first team squad really

exiled in notts

Post by exiled in notts »

It could also be something to do with the likely order of events tonight(based on previous encounters with Fat Sam's lads):

7.55 p.m. - Release of balloons. (The Bolton side are let out of the changing room.)

8.00 - Kick off.

8.00.01 - First Bolton player sinks the boot into Cesc. Ref waves play on.

8.01 - Bolton settle into their normal game plan: Set out to maim Arsenal's flair players (i.e. all of them) and rely on set pieces and knocking long balls over the top.

8.45 - After being clattered for the sixth time, Rosicky suggests that the Bolton player might want to be more careful in future. Ref shows Rosicky a straight red for wearing an Arsenal shirt in Lancashire.

AW probably knows that there's a good chance of some our most important players getting crocked if they play tonight. Personally I'd love to see some of the kids and fringe players give Bolton the lesson in football they deserve.

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

I agree if i was going to rest anyone it would be cesc, he just seems to be playing game on game and i think it showed again Wigan and in a couple of other matches he's looked a little weary. At his age he will keep saying he can play 3 times a week for the rest of the season if you'd let him! He is also much more likely to get hurt in the centre of the park. Its a shame Flamini is outb ecause i think he'd come in straight away. Gilberto could prob do with a rest too because he played that midweek game against Portugal

Thierry has had a lengthy absence and I think still needs the games, we may need his pace tonight to get the goals on the counter attack and he is always good in the last 10 mins of a cup game at either holding the ball up by running into space with it and forcing at least 2 defenders to stay back at all times if we are winning and can score at any time if we are losing. Your right if we lose he'd have a nice rest anyawy and if we win then with all due respect it'd be better to rest him for the home game against blackburn because that will be a much easier game. As for getting kicked about Theirry is a tough lad and its rare that someone puts a realy nasty tackle in on him because they either can't get near him or respect him too much.

Also i think playing with a sore nose again bolton won't do djourou's confidence any good in tough aerial battles which he will have

Think my team would be:-

Almunia

Traore Hoyte Toure Clichy

Hleb Gilberto Diaby Rosicky

Henry Adebayor

Subs:

Baptista
Freddie (to replace rosicky after 75)
Djourou
Walcott (to replace hleb after 65)
Poom

Then rest Henry, Toure and Gilberto for the Blackburn game if we get through with Baptista, djourou and fabregas coming back for those three and with hoyte for traore. Then alliadiere up to the bench and again use hleb to be replaced by theo

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

The other point to consider is that it was 2 weeks ago now that we beat the Spuds in the Carling semi. Many of the team that Arsene will probably play in Cardiff (Denilson, Traore, Diaby, Aliadierre) would not have had a meaningful game since then. They therefore need a run out before the final.

Surely Toure will need a rest soon? I don't think his appearances show signs of tiredness or of being jaded but he plays week in week out and is the only player not to get a rest. The absence of Gallas has enforced this but surely he'll start to suffer soon? He's just remarkable.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

regarding kolo, i am not convinced centre backs need physical rest as much as other outfield players. hence kolo being picked for every game. i am sure wenger looks at his prozone stats and sees no drop off from kolo. ultimately, a lot of a centre half's performance is based on mental sharpness rather than physical (anyone remember the crock that was paul mcgrath still putting in solid displays week after week at villa when he couldn't even train). so if kolo's delivering, no reason to rest him. ok, he has made errors this season, but i am not sure that is down to fatigue - either physical or mental. everyone makes mistakes, kolo's been unlucky in that a lot of his this campaign have led to goals (unlike swiss tony). centre back's mistakes are often punished - nature of the position.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

But surely the point is, WHY does Henry need a rest?? Hes only just come back for gods sake!! While he has i admit been scoring since he came back he still is not his sharpest and surely needs gamesto get back to the standard we want from him. Is he being rested to protect him from the big northern bullies hurting him? If so, thats bollox!! Whats the point of having the best player in the world if your too frightened to play him in case he gets injured? This IS a big game, to say its not is disrespectful to the Gooners going up there tonite, we all SO want to beat Big fat Sam and his cronies its untrue and surely Arsene does just as much?? If Henry needs a rest there is something seriously wrong with him that we should all be concerned about!! He should be playing simple as that!!

legend10

Post by legend10 »

GOON NEWS

THAT DIRTY FUCKING ELBOWING NORTHERN BASTARD DAVIES IS OUT

THAT DIRTY FUCKING ELBOWING NORTHERN BASTARD FAYE IS OUT

THAT DIRTY WELSH BASTARD SPEED IS A DOUBT

COME ON THE GUNNERS

dtjenkins

Post by dtjenkins »

elpelsarmy wrote:But surely the point is, WHY does Henry need a rest?? Hes only just come back for gods sake!! While he has i admit been scoring since he came back he still is not his sharpest and surely needs gamesto get back to the standard we want from him. Is he being rested to protect him from the big northern bullies hurting him? If so, thats bollox!! Whats the point of having the best player in the world if your too frightened to play him in case he gets injured? This IS a big game, to say its not is disrespectful to the Gooners going up there tonite, we all SO want to beat Big fat Sam and his cronies its untrue and surely Arsene does just as much?? If Henry needs a rest there is something seriously wrong with him that we should all be concerned about!! He should be playing simple as that!!
Because when a player comes back from an injury they need rest not more games otherwise they will break down again. You need to play games but once a week not twice as we are doing. Remember why Henry got the injury in the first place like the one last year. Too much footie.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

No, when a player has been out injured he doesnt play again until he is 100% so that he can play regularly and not break down straight away! I can show you hundreds of players who play twice a week regularly, they play for big clubs so they expect to play twice a week. A couple of years ago Arsene used to try and give all the players a couple of weeks off ONCE a season, now its once a month, hes a bit paranoid about it now i think, too over cautious.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

thierry won't play because wenger wants him for psv next week and he ain't taking any chances. he's even left th14 out for prem games ahead of cl matches - remember he didn't start v spurs at highbury last april? wasn't this a weekend before a big CL game?

won't play saturday either is we do somehow get though. have said it before and will say it again - arsene doesn't give a fig for the FA Cup. hopefully denilson does though - looking forward to seeing him tonight

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

Great result lads. Bit strange. About time we put those wankers in their place. Great to see a bit of strength shown from the boys. One complaint though: it sounds petty but i was disgusted that anelka didn't walk. There has never been a clearer sending off offence. It doesn't matter now, but once the penalty was missed at two one, and getting into the eighth minute of injury time imaging him scoring. Would have been gutting. Not to mention he deserves the 3 match ban that would no doubt help take pressure off us in the league. Shocking decision. Still won't dwell on it. Brilliant result. Shame we couldn't have taken the chances and not flattered bolton by letting them take it extra time.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

I guess that Chris Foy thoght it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity as it was Ade's second chance to score in an open goal :lol:

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Or maybe he's been watching too much goals on Sunday was Chris 'the penalty's enough punishment'Kamara

dtjenkins

Post by dtjenkins »

elpelsarmy wrote:No, when a player has been out injured he doesnt play again until he is 100% so that he can play regularly and not break down straight away! I can show you hundreds of players who play twice a week regularly, they play for big clubs so they expect to play twice a week. A couple of years ago Arsene used to try and give all the players a couple of weeks off ONCE a season, now its once a month, hes a bit paranoid about it now i think, too over cautious.
Believe me mate I'm very qualified to make the statement I did! Players play all the time when they are not 100% fit. Henry for one! Forget all the..'they get paid loads so they should play 3 times per wee..' crap. They train every day, twice a day. Believe no player can sustain that for more than a month.