Our third unhailed MANU

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Goonanana

Our third unhailed MANU

Post by Goonanana »

Can I say how massively impressed I've been with our 3rd Manu, Manuel Almunia. He's been fantastic for us in the cup competitions and I've had complete confidence in him. I admit a few seasons back it struck Cygan like fear into my heart when I saw he was playing but this year we have seen a new man.

Some of his saves have been world class and his is appears much more capable of dealing with crosses then Jens. He also seems more adept at distributing the ball. In his press comments he has been nothing but a professional and has done the right thing in working damn hard at his game and waiting for his opportunity. Not once have I seen him making any noises about demandnig first team football and going somewhere to get it yet on the back of these performances that is exactly what he deserves

I for one am going to be bold enough to say I'd be happy for him to be our number one next season assuming Jens will walk out on the back of only being offered a one year contract - surely this policy shouldn't be the same for goalkeepers as they peak much later?

Anyone agree of think i've been woo'ed by some cameo performances and that its not the same as playnig week in week out :?:

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

I agree. Up until the last couple of months I was sure we must buy to replace Jens, but the strength of Manu's performances this season really have led me to think he is the man for the job.

In the past he has looked very shaky, but thinking back there was a time when Jens was very very shaky. I remember a time when I used to call Jens "the jester" more for his mistakes rather than his antics.

Manuel has made a huge improvement over the last couple of years. I beleive he will continue to grow if given the number 1 jersey.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Manwell has been fantastic in the games he has played recently and i too would be happy to see him as our number 1 from next season. Last night I'm sure i saw him 'Catch' at least two crosses. Never thought i'd see that. He is a really good keeper and has always been a very good shotstopper but now is comanding his penalty area and helping us create chances with great vision and a good arm. Lets hope it continues.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I completely agree. I've criticised him many a time in the past and always thought he was nothing more than a back up. But he's worked hard, waited his time and has clearly become a much better keeper. He always use to seem panicky and jittery but he seems so much calmer and his performances are reflecting that.

norn irish red

Post by norn irish red »

he looks to be enjoying his time in goal and looks the better for getting the extra games this year.....still wouldnt be that confident with him being our number 1, he always looks stoned to me :lol:

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

Another success for Arsene's 'exploitation' of the Carling Cup. I too have been very critical but Manu was brilliant last night. And unlike Jens, who is also great, at least manu seems sane and unlikely to be wound up like JL was last Sunday. :D

Fuzzfeast

Post by Fuzzfeast »

I have to say Manuel is not in the class of some of the 'keepers I've watched at Highbury over the years. George Wood, Vince Bartram and Richard Wright, who still isn't Everton's first choice. When Nigel Martyn retired they brought in Tim Howard! Almunia has been great for us in the games he has played this season. I'm still not sure if I would like him to be our first choice but we won't know if he is until Lehman and Wenger sort things out. Lehman has a hard decision to make here. If he wants to play his last season in his own country then he's got to decide when to go. If he stays at Arsenal too long he might find find there are no clubs to go to in Germany.