WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rosie_titters

Re: WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

Post by Rosie_titters »

still amazes me that this bloke comes on with 20 minutes and the crowd's expections goes up. 55k supporters thinking, "Yes Walcott's is on, watch him burst past 8 players and score a wonder goal". :D

27 and we are still waiting

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

The injury finished him off.

Needs to find a new club in summer.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

glenngould wrote:Thought he looked really lively when he came on today vs Palace. They were terrified of his pace and his runs were INCREDIBLY intelligent and well-timed. You can't teach that. He's a very bright lad and you can see that when he makes his runs in behind. He's developing really well - it's vital we keep hold of players like this - trust me, he'll come good in his mid to late forties.
Is that when he's playing 90 year olds?

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

Walcott might be good in that new over 50s craze, Walking Football. Because he has a lot of pace he would be able to zip in behind the back four and bear down on the opposition goalie and perhaps get a shot on goal. I say MIGHT be good because it would be wrong to pile too much pressure onto him at such a tender age, and the Walking Football league is pretty tough going. I remember him scoring a brilliant goal against Coventry City a few years back which was very much like the goals Thierry Henry used to score. The similarity is uncanny, right down to the famous number 14 shirt number. Just a thought - if he doesn't fancy Walking Football then I'd personally like to see him rewarded with a new contract at Arsenal. Seriously - this guy has pace to burn, and defenders HATE pace. He's also very intelligent and surprisingly good in the air for a wee man.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

We really do need a 'sarcastic' emoji.

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

The problem with some of these players is, they've gone beyond parody.
At least Walcott won't say anything this week about 'we've turned a corner/we need to step up now/this is our year/this is the squad I've been waiting for/people forget how young I am' - and my own personal favourite:

‘Once the team wins the first trophy, you will start to see us coming back to where we should be'

This guy should have been shipped out in 2008, instead he's been lavishly rewarded for potential that hasn't been realised, all the while being a modern construct of the typical Arsene Wenger player. In three words:
Not.
Good.
Enough.
And Wenger's tragedy is he's been too soft to deal with that fact - his stubborness has led him to believe he'll be seen as vindicated.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The Walcott myth has been well and truly disproven and I've not heard anybody inside or outside the club offer a single word of defence in months. The stick he was getting from the travelling fans at Old Trafford is as bad as I can remember for one of our lot in years.

Anybody who thinks that there is a single club out there who will offer anywhere near enough to prise him away from his cushy life and 140k a week contract is sadly mistaken. We would struggle to give him away never mind asking somebody to also meet our undoubtedly deluded valuation of him.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

He is not getting back in the team, and will miss the plane to France. The fans are giving him stick. He isnt wanted at all.

Squillaci was the last player to rot away and pick up his salary, basically putting his career on hold for 2 years.

I wonder if Theo will pack it in like Squillaci and give up his England career and march toward his 30th birthday without being a serious footballer, just picking up the money like every other mercenary.

Clash

Post by Clash »

I thought there was gonna be an Eboue moment with him yesterday when he cam on and couldn't do a thing right. Sadly it didn't quite get that far but its the sort of no-nonsense treatment this deluded prick deserves as far as I' concerned.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:The Walcott myth has been well and truly disproven and I've not heard anybody inside or outside the club offer a single word of defence in months. The stick he was getting from the travelling fans at Old Trafford is as bad as I can remember for one of our lot in years.

Anybody who thinks that there is a single club out there who will offer anywhere near enough to prise him away from his cushy life and 140k a week contract is sadly mistaken. We would struggle to give him away never mind asking somebody to also meet our undoubtedly deluded valuation of him.

And again if he was a serious footballer, he would be willing to lower his wage demands in order to go to a club that will play him consistantly.........I think we all know that wont happen :roll: The only hope we have is if engerland dont bring him to the euro's cos that would certainly hurt him more than not being picked for us every weekend :roll: :evil:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

the hat-trick in croatia, the run against liverpool in the CL....

he must have at one time had something there, at least a flicker. what actually has happened? I think part of it is his attitude and he feels he has nothing to prove but honestly I think he would have progressed at another club, with another manager. If I was wally I would be regretting the day I left soton. Millionaire or not he wouldn't have become such a pathetic figure there as he is now.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I can’t see the safe, conservative and ultimately boring Hodgson thinking: “Hmm, Walcott’s playing like utter gash; I think I’ll take him to France because nobody will expect that”.

No way will Wally go to the Euros now.

augie

Post by augie »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:the hat-trick in croatia, the run against liverpool in the CL....

he must have at one time had something there, at least a flicker. what actually has happened? I think part of it is his attitude and he feels he has nothing to prove but honestly I think he would have progressed at another club, with another manager. If I was wally I would be regretting the day I left soton. Millionaire or not he wouldn't have become such a pathetic figure there as he is now.

With all due respect, no he hadn't - he is another aaron lennon who has pace and f.uck all else, and when teams twig how to negate your pace (and they will), then you bring nothing at all to the team

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Newstalk(Irish station) were discussing Walcott during their pre-match coverage yesterday, and the commentator for the game(Dave Mc Entyre) summed Walcott up perfectly. "He is a player that believes he is world class, but isn't any where near that level". In contrast, the English media seem happy to find every excuse for his shit performances. It's hilarious that any so called journalist is eager to interview him, to hear how the rest of the league will be scared of us, after our latest false dawn. Another Wenger failure, and being rewarded handsomely for it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

To answer the thread title; unemployed. :roll: