Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Unai Emery

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:10 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 pm
Guys i know we're all glad to be rid of Wenger and all but a dose of reality here, if he had started the season the same as Emery making the same mistakes with line up and tactics we'd have fucking roasted him. As i said in the match thread UE is supposed to be the master of match and player analysis and if he can't see problems that us numpties can spot then it is seriously worrying.

So we'll see how it goes but so far for me i see nothing really that different from what happened under Wenger but i am willing to give him time but as Sid said he's starting to lose me already, i wasn't happy with some of the transfer dealings and contract extensions, i've not been happy with team selection so far and i am sure as hell not happy with the tactics defensively which even that muppet Hoddle stated were no different from last season.

I am willing to give him time but i want to see vast improvement in the coming weeks because so far the way things are going he looks nothing but a much more animated AW.

So you are looking for some reality here, but at the same time you think that it is reasonable to expect dick to have sorted all our problems in 6 weeks of his coaching, and in 2 competitive league games ?? Wenger left behind a mess/pile of shite that hasnt been seen in our club for over 40 years, and most of us recognised the amount of high quality players that he inherited 22 years ago - when you oversee a number of seasons of decline like wenger did then you entitled to get every bit of abuse that he received, but to liken emery to that shitfest after a mere 2 games (against the last 2 seasons league winners I might add) is way ott and beyond belief if I'm honest
Get real Augie for long enough everything wrong with this club was blamed on Wenger and rightly so but there has to be parity, we all know this was never going to be easy but when the replacement makes the same mistakes as the replaced then you'll have to forgive me for seeing a recurrent problem.

He has had plenty of time to review the problems we had last season, he has plenty of time to review the players and how they play, we had 7 or 8 pre season games, plus any closed door sessions yet he is insisting on playing the same way with the same players Wenger did. As for playing out from the back we are currently not in any position confidence wise to play this way especially against the top tier teams but as with AW he has a tactic he wants to play and sticks with it even when it doesn't work.

I totally understand that it takes time to get things right but he has not enamoured himself to me making the same mistakes as the previous encumbent and unlike some i am not blinded by my hatred of AW and can take a more balanced view on this.

As I said i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but so far all i see is a Wenger clone and as he stated himself he is an admirer of AW and he also stated he'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0 hardly a ringing endorsement to resolve our defensive issues if he considers attack as the best for of defence.

One thing many on here stated when he was appointed and during pre-season was that results weren't so important it was performances that mattered, well as far as i am concerned those performances have not improved yet and in terms of desire and appetite from the AW players i have yet to see it from any of them.

I'm not going to blow smoke up the guys arse just because he is not Wenger, sorry but i'll call it exactly as i see just like the rest of you will. You are free to disagree but i have more than enough years watching playing and coaching to make the calls i do and if i'm wrong i'll admit it but at the moment i see what i see.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 am
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Guys i know we're all glad to be rid of Wenger and all but a dose of reality here, if he had started the season the same as Emery making the same mistakes with line up and tactics we'd have fucking roasted him. As i said in the match thread UE is supposed to be the master of match and player analysis and if he can't see problems that us numpties can spot then it is seriously worrying.

So we'll see how it goes but so far for me i see nothing really that different from what happened under Wenger but i am willing to give him time but as Sid said he's starting to lose me already, i wasn't happy with some of the transfer dealings and contract extensions, i've not been happy with team selection so far and i am sure as hell not happy with the tactics defensively which even that muppet Hoddle stated were no different from last season.

I am willing to give him time but i want to see vast improvement in the coming weeks because so far the way things are going he looks nothing but a much more animated AW.

So you are looking for some reality here, but at the same time you think that it is reasonable to expect dick to have sorted all our problems in 6 weeks of his coaching, and in 2 competitive league games ?? Wenger left behind a mess/pile of shite that hasnt been seen in our club for over 40 years, and most of us recognised the amount of high quality players that he inherited 22 years ago - when you oversee a number of seasons of decline like wenger did then you entitled to get every bit of abuse that he received, but to liken emery to that shitfest after a mere 2 games (against the last 2 seasons league winners I might add) is way ott and beyond belief if I'm honest
Get real Augie for long enough everything wrong with this club was blamed on Wenger and rightly so but there has to be parity, we all know this was never going to be easy but when the replacement makes the same mistakes as the replaced then you'll have to forgive me for seeing a recurrent problem.

He has had plenty of time to review the problems we had last season, he has plenty of time to review the players and how they play, we had 7 or 8 pre season games, plus any closed door sessions yet he is insisting on playing the same way with the same players Wenger did. As for playing out from the back we are currently not in any position confidence wise to play this way especially against the top tier teams but as with AW he has a tactic he wants to play and sticks with it even when it doesn't work.

I totally understand that it takes time to get things right but he has not enamoured himself to me making the same mistakes as the previous encumbent and unlike some i am not blinded by my hatred of AW and can take a more balanced view on this.

As I said i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but so far all i see is a Wenger clone and as he stated himself he is an admirer of AW and he also stated he'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0 hardly a ringing endorsement to resolve our defensive issues if he considers attack as the best form of defence.

One thing many on here stated when he was appointed and during pre-season was that results weren't so important it was performances that mattered, well as far as i am concerned those performances have not improved yet and in terms of desire and appetite from the AW players i have yet to see it from any of them.

I'm not going to blow smoke up the guys arse just because he is not Wenger, sorry but i'll call it exactly as i see just like the rest of you will. You are free to disagree but i have more than enough years watching playing and coaching to make the calls i do and if i'm wrong i'll admit it but at the moment i see what i see.

Post by 1989 »

Anyone judging Emery based off 2 games against City and Chelsea is a short sighted moron. What chance has a new manager got with that sort of knee jerk reactionism.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:55 am
Anyone judging Emery based off 2 games against City and Chelsea is a short sighted moron. What chance has a new manager got with that sort of knee jerk reactionism.
Judge him in May ?

I would have thought maybe Emery, on seeing our opening 2 fixtures and realising he hasn’t yet had the time to get the team up to speed with his preferred style of play, would have gone pragmatic, kept things tight and looked to get a draw at least at Chelsea, 0-0 if needs be.

Can’t for the life of me figure out why he is trying to get Cech to play out, when he quite clearly can’t and is so poor at it.
Play that way with Leno, if that is what he wants, don’t try it when Cech is in there.

The usual suspects who don’t work hard, track back, mark their men etc, etc need to be got shot of before this will work properly, but we will still turn over 60% of opponents playing this way anyway.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 am
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

As I said i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but so far all i see is a Wenger clone and as he stated himself he is an admirer of AW and he also stated he'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0 hardly a ringing endorsement to resolve our defensive issues if he considers attack as the best for of defence.

Has he had plenty of time to fix the problems though ? Has he been given the financial backing to bring in the necessary quality though ? It is one thing saying that he has had enough time to identify the problems, but fixing them is gonna take longer than the few weeks some of you lot are giving him thats for sure. We can all make a justifiable argument for dropping cech and bellend and maybe if he did that alone it would be enough for the premature doubters to give dick a decent chance, but aside from that what else can he do ?

We dont have the players to play 4-4-2 and nor do we have them to play 5-3-2/3-5-2, so is the formation acceptable ? Personally I would tweak it to a 4-3-2-1, but at the same time I dont think the problems we have had lie much with the formation

Last week he subbed ramsey and consequently dropped him yesterday. So far he has subbed xhaka in both games so I suspect that he will be axed for torreira next week. Yesterday he subbed ozil off. Basically he is seeing the problems, but what can he do to completely fix them WITH THE SQUAD HE CURRENTLY HAS ? Has he got the options on the bench necessary to drop these guys ? One option is iwobi and all of us lost our shit yesterday when he was named in the starting 11. So basically we are screaming at him to pull some magic out of his arse to fix the problems we have by dropping the shit players we have, but not by bringing in the other options in the squad who are also shit ?? :rubchin:

Lord help emery :roll: :banghead:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The anti-Emery reactions above are way OTT, but I share some of the sentiment.

I've seen some positive signs; our attacking play is quicker and a bit more varied and we seem a bit more combatitive, but my heart sank when I saw the teamsheet. Xhaka, Miki and Bellend were useless last week, yet they started, despite there being options on the bench. Mustafi too, though Emery's options are limited at centre-back.

I can't see any way that Miki and Ozil can play in the same team. Square pegs, round holes. Ozil was OK first half but completely non-existent for the 20 minutes he sunbathed at the start of the second half. Ramsey was equally ineffective when he came on, and Iwobi was only slightly better.

I hope this is all part of Emery's masterplan, but I am much more worried than I was.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Was a bit pissed last night so a bit ott.
I am however worried by his team selections, I so want this to work! fuck knows we suffered long enough under Wenger, we wouldn’t however be the first club to get it totally wrong in the appointment of what looked like a top coach
I hope by the time we play the mousers we will see some progress and the likes of xhaka benchwarming at best!
If however he is still persisting with those who we all know to be shite then as I said before we can’t allow calls for patience to mask what we are witnessing!

augie

Post by augie »

Again, and I am not aiming this at you per se sid, nobody seems to be coming up with better options in the squad than what is on the pitch with the exception of the keeper and right back positions. Everytime I see elneny on the bench I die a little more cos he is absolute dogshite in an alex song type of way (and believe me it doesnt get much worse than that :oops: ). Personally I wanted amn to get a go there, but he never got a minute in that position in the pre-season games against the good teams :( Smith rowe looked impressive pre-season, but the first half totally bypassed him against the chavs in dublin, and at 17 years of age it is too soon for him. Is danny wellshit gonna be an upgrade on what is ahead of him at the mo ? People rave about nelson and nketiah but are they really ready ? They not even listed in the first team squad on the official club website.

As I keep saying, wenger has left behind an absolute dogshite level of a squad, and a £70m budget will fix fcuk all when there are soooooo many holes to fill

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 am
1989 wrote:
Judge him in May ?
November for me.

what can he do with the squad that he's stuck with ?

right now he's trying to coach them in how to mark, track back, positional awareness, anticipation etc - those that start getting it like Iwobi can play, those that don't should be dropped and the young coachable players promoted to the team.

he's trying to change mindsets here, if he can't do it by October, some of these players never will.

the benchmark for me is 4 wins out of 4 in October, nothing less.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:24 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 am
1989 wrote:
Judge him in May ?
November for me.

what can he do with the squad that he's stuck with ?

right now he's trying to coach them in how to mark, track back, positional awareness, anticipation etc - those that start getting it like Iwobi can play, those that don't should be dropped and the young coachable players promoted to the team.

he's trying to change mindsets here, if he can't do it by October, some of these players never will.

the benchmark for me is 4 wins out of 4 in October, nothing less.

He has very little time to correct, for some 6,7,8 years of lethargy and couldn’t give a shitness.

If you can’t be arsed to track a runner, look around you and see you needs picking up, you shouldn’t be a professional player, let alone at the upper echelons of the game.
I’m still grateful it’s not Wenker, and think he will slowly ingratiate “his “ players who will put the effort required in.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

It ain't looking good, and that high line with loads of space to exploit is good news for teams, Walcott will be creaming his pants when he visits!....

augie

Post by augie »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:12 pm
It ain't looking good, and that high line with loads of space to exploit is good news for teams, Walcott will be creaming his pants when he visits!....

Can we please have some perspective here - we have played the chavs and citeeh and they have won the last 2 leagues, so maybe the world shouldnt end just yet ?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Its early days so definitely way too early to judge emery too harshly but Emery's decision making up to now has the alarm bells ringing.

Bellerin/Litchsteiner: I thought bringing in Litchsteiner was great business. Bellerin is defensively retarded so playing litchsteiner against the more difficult opposition whilst bellerin learns his trade made perfect sense 8) but what the fuck went wrong? Why was numbnuts bellerin selected against citeh and chavs? :x the fact emery selected bellerin is deeply worrying.

Xakha: Emery said: “The first captain in this group is Koscielny. Then I told the players it will be Petr Cech, Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Ozil and Granit Xhaka"
- great, so not only is xakha selected but he's a captain :banghead: selecting xakha is a huge error of judgement; he should have known that before kick off not at half time vs. The chavs

Ramsey: another of Emery's "captains" :roll: the bloke won't even commit himself to the club yet emery is making him captain? That pussy footed, weak management is what id expect of wenger. Very disappointing.

Chambers: I won't criticise emery for retaining Mustafi or not signing another defender as that may have been out of his control however allowing chambers to leave when you know Mustafi is a calamity is baffeling. I'd much rather we paired sokratis with chambers or holding and allow a young defender to develop than let that disaster of a defender Mustafi play.

It's also disappointing that Leno is deemed not good enough to get in ahead of cech. That's not Emery's fault though; that's on Sven if he's wasted a precious £20m on a reserve keeper instead of upgrading on Mustafi.

Anyway, thankfully the fixture list looks more forgiving for a while now so hopefully we can get a decent amount of points on the board ... although every away game may prove difficult given our disastrous away form last season :shock:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Chambers: I won't criticise emery for retaining Mustafi or not signing another defender as that may have been out of his control however allowing chambers to leave when you know Mustafi is a calamity is baffeling. I'd much rather we paired sokratis with chambers or holding and allow a young defender to develop than let that disaster of a defender Mustafi play.

Totally

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Can we please have some perspective here - we have played the chavs and citeeh and they have won the last 2 leagues, so maybe the world shouldnt end just yet ?
Man City are are the real deal 8) , but don't put Chelsea alongside them, they are poor defensively and if several of our players had their shooting boots on we would have beaten them at a canter...
Their is no "The End is Nigh", but it is going to take well over 2 seasons to correct what we have been left with, the manager knows what he wants on the pitch but can these players replicate his ethos, at the moment their is a gulf and hopefully given time that will be narrowed, defensively we are rank, high lining with no depth! Schoolboy stuff....