ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am
Have to say that I am relieved by this news

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -juventus/
zaha to the scum so

augie

Post by augie »

Everton have gone from trying to sign ake, to now trying to sign rojo :shock: :shock: It's like going from thiago silva to mustafi :oops: :oops: :oops:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... er-league/

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am
augie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am
Have to say that I am relieved by this news

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -juventus/
zaha to the scum so
Nope, he's forcing a move to Everton. Fuck me, I feel bad. Should've just gone to Serie A/Bundesliga. Hardly an improvement from the, what, 4th team in London to the 2nd team in L'pool.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm really not sure what to make of this transfer window, we've definitely done some good deals financially on what appeared a very limited budget with a definite view for building to the future.

The problem is that I'm not 100% convinced that these signings bring proven quality to the team :rubchin:

Martinell: looked good at times in pre-season but young and unproven, bought as a view to the future or possible investment
Saliba: Reportedly a good centre back in his current league, another year playing there cant do any harm but again unproven bought witha view to the future again
Cellabos: Out of favour in his own team but a good player, unfortunately as a loanee even if he has a good season here potentially his price may go up if we look to buy, hopefully the option to buy has been nailed down correctly
Tierney: Worryingly bought with medical issues, hopefully these have been blown out of proportion and wont be a problem, again once he's fit he'll be able to step up and prove himself
Luiz: Arguably the most controversial buy but for me an improvement on Kos and Mustafi even if only slightly, we seem to lack funds to get a proven centre back at the top tier but may just do a job whilst Saliba comes good.
Pepe: Potentially our signing of the summer, at the least financially, but again stepping into a different league he has a lot to prove.

So a mixed bag with mainly a view to the future but realistically for me none of them set my juices flowing (calm down Rodders), on our limited budget Raul and Edu seem to have done some good work but my biggest disappointment is that with only 12 hours to go we still seem to have managed to retain most of the problem players that the majority of us wanted to see gone but are still here :cussing:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Luiz - £8m fee and two year contract.

I don’t like him as a player and think Cahill would have been a better choice.

Hopefully he will do a job for us.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

GoonerMuzz we also have to remember these signings are a strange taste because of our budget. We were never ever going into the transfer window with Juventus or RM-like budget so it is not a shock of what we got. I am quite pleased with signings as I was worried with 40m we can only get championship players and a gamble.

We were never fighting for the likes of De Ligt, Maguire (although he's average), Varane, TS so Luiz will do the job and we should see it as a short-term investment until we get CL football and prospects at a good price. Hitting on Ceballos and Pepe were the highlight for me, here's to hope his buy-out has been agreed should Ceballos have a good season with us. With Spain he usually does well, so looks like RM have treated him like shit (what a shocker).

Worst thing that can happen with Luiz is be bang average (still better than Mustafi) and is used as a cup player/rotational player when Saliba comes back to the squad next summer.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:41 am
Luiz - £8m fee and two year contract.

I don’t like him as a player and think Cahill would have been a better choice.

Hopefully he will do a job for us.
Apart from leadership, what does Cahill have that Luiz doesn't?

(not disagreeing, I thought Luiz was the better of the two and would've been 'meh' with Cahill arriving and not luiz)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Rian1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am

(not disagreeing, I thought Luiz was the better of the two and would've been 'meh' with Cahill arriving and not luiz)
less mistakes.

Cahill is your standard championship level clogger/donkey. he can head the ball, keep a line and put his foot in.

Luiz tries to be more of a creator and he gets caught too far up the pitch.

btw if Lukaku struggled at united, Inter is going to be a disaster - Serie A is a lot harder to score goals for out and out strikers. he is going to flop badly.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Galatasaray are in talks with Arsenal over Mohamed Elneny. Lions official Şükrü Hanedar has been in London over the past few days for several meetings. Arsenal are open to a move but Elneny has 3-years on his contract and Arsenal won't let him go on the cheap. GS push for a loan https://t.co/QdNtCqJrOv

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:36 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am

less mistakes.

Cahill is your standard championship level clogger/donkey. he can head the ball, keep a line and put his foot in.

Luiz tries to be more of a creator and he gets caught too far up the pitch.

btw if Lukaku struggled at united, Inter is going to be a disaster - Serie A is a lot harder to score goals for out and out strikers. he is going to flop badly.
he has a decent record at man Utd.

28 goals in 66 appearances

augie

Post by augie »

If we get Tierney and sideshow bob over the line, is that the end of our spending for this window do ye think ? My eldest says that he is reading stuff online suggesting that we will move for Zaha again IF we sell iwobi, but I would be shocked if that was the case. What I wouldn't be surprised at is IF we sell lard arse we might make another go at signing rugani or the Leipzig centre back - I'm not expecting it to happen, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it did happen either.

We really need to pray that either everton or palace come in with an acceptable offer for iwobi very soon - last night I was ecstatic that we were getting Tierney and a centre back that was a small improvement on what we have, but now that joy has faded away and I am now more focused on praying for outgoings

A football fans life is never easy :lol: :lol: :lol:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:20 pm
scotgooner wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Kieran Tierney welcome to Arsenal son!

So fucking buzzing, have been waiting all summer for this, genuinely think he’s gonna be a super star for us

Let’s get him back fully fit ASAP and get him stuck in!

Can’t ask for anymore in the transfer window, Luiz good experienced defender with winning mentality can only be an upgrade, him and holding with Sokratis and Chambers back up, I can live with that just now. Will take a few windows to proper sort out defence.

Buzzing to see what Pepe is all about too!

Genuinely excited for the season ahead for the first time in a long time.

Top 4 finish and back in champs league where we belong is the absolute bare minimum this season not even up for debate.

Roll on Sunday for our first game and one I will be attending! COYG
:lol:

Absolutely agree - this deal is far and away the best bit of business we have done imo, and he is the type of signing that will be a star right from day one and for many years in the future (he is only 22 years old)
Augie is our new scout , called this ages ago lol
Well he’s still wearing shorts and loves a bit of camping - if that’s what you mean ? :rubchin:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 pm
If we get Tierney and sideshow bob over the line, is that the end of our spending for this window do ye think ? My eldest says that he is reading stuff online suggesting that we will move for Zaha again IF we sell iwobi, but I would be shocked if that was the case. What I wouldn't be surprised at is IF we sell lard arse we might make another go at signing rugani or the Leipzig centre back - I'm not expecting it to happen, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it did happen either.

We really need to pray that either everton or palace come in with an acceptable offer for iwobi very soon - last night I was ecstatic that we were getting Tierney and a centre back that was a small improvement on what we have, but now that joy has faded away and I am now more focused on praying for outgoings

A football fans life is never easy :lol: :lol: :lol:
if going for zaha were the case wouldn't the club include iwobi in the deal?

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:20 pm
scotgooner wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Kieran Tierney welcome to Arsenal son!

So fucking buzzing, have been waiting all summer for this, genuinely think he’s gonna be a super star for us

Let’s get him back fully fit ASAP and get him stuck in!

Can’t ask for anymore in the transfer window, Luiz good experienced defender with winning mentality can only be an upgrade, him and holding with Sokratis and Chambers back up, I can live with that just now. Will take a few windows to proper sort out defence.

Buzzing to see what Pepe is all about too!

Genuinely excited for the season ahead for the first time in a long time.

Top 4 finish and back in champs league where we belong is the absolute bare minimum this season not even up for debate.

Roll on Sunday for our first game and one I will be attending! COYG

Absolutely agree - this deal is far and away the best bit of business we have done imo, and he is the type of signing that will be a star right from day one and for many years in the future (he is only 22 years old)
Augie is our new scout , called this ages ago lol

I have been pushing his name on here for well over 6 months - I have been saying it to my sons even longer than that, but my eldest kept knocking it back saying that I was the only one suggesting it and nobody online is talking about it 8) I admit that there were times during the last few weeks that I didnt think it would happen, but £25m for a player of his quality and his age, would stand out as THE best piece of business in the whole transfer window (and I'm not just talking about AFC there 8) )

I said two days ago that if we got Tierney and a good centre half it will have been a brilliant transfer window and that I feel that we could grab 3rd place. I have to say though that the scum from the swamp are on course for a very good transfer window too, and if they get dybala then I would be seriously worried about them. The thing that tips things in our favour in my opinion is that the 2 defenders we are buying are accustomed to English/british style football, and the only other signing likely to start in our team is a winger so maybe not as crucial in the team - their signings look like being 2 centre midfielders (guy from lyon and le celso from betis) and Dybala would also be a central player, so their team spine would be totally new to the type of football they are gonna encounter now
let's hope he is the real deal , no pressure Augie :D also I think ceballos will get a lot of game time this year and he will be motivated with a point to prove
Last edited by gooner265 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

When it comes to getting rid of the dross don't forget the Europeans window is open until the end of the month so plenty of time to offload Mustafi and Elniny if they are to go abroad.

A quick count of the old pennies shows that what we have spent so far including KT and DL would be just about balanced out if we were to sell mustafi for 20M and iwobi for 30M. That would mean the £45M is still left plus any money for Elniny and anybody else that leaves..... are we done or is there time for one last name?