VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
wibble
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: VAR

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Anyone that has actually played football at any level and doesn't have an agenda can see that Boomerang's foul was accidental, not overly aggressive, not dangerous, not at pace, just poorly timed and a free kick and a yellow. The Robertson one is a cùnts tackle - at pace, head on, full force, and mid shin. If the oppo player gets that on his planted leg it's a double compound fracture and the tib and fib are coming out through the leg. The two are not even vaguely comparable ffs.
Which is why one was a straight red and the other wasn’t even a booking.
Don’t know what your complaining about! :wink:

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48150
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Anyone that has actually played football at any level and doesn't have an agenda can see that Boomerang's foul was accidental, not overly aggressive, not dangerous, not at pace, just poorly timed and a free kick and a yellow. The Robertson one is a cùnts tackle - at pace, head on, full force, and mid shin. If the oppo player gets that on his planted leg it's a double compound fracture and the tib and fib are coming out through the leg. The two are not even vaguely comparable ffs.
Which is why one was a straight red and the other wasn’t even a booking.
Don’t know what your complaining about! :wink:
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
OneBardGooner
Posts: 28894
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Dark Side Of The Mood

Re: VAR

Post by OneBardGooner »

They say a craftsman shouldn't blame his tools...and so I don't think we should blame VAR, but I DO blame the retarded Useless Vadge's trying to use it. :evil:

User avatar
rodders999
Posts: 12536
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Diamond Club

Re: VAR

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm
They say a craftsman shouldn't blame his tools...and so I don't think we should blame VAR, but I DO blame the retarded Useless Vadge's trying to use it. :evil:
I completely agree that. I'm actually 100% on favour of VAR if it were used as intended - correcting clear an obvious errors by officials. The dots and lines bullshit to see if a player's toe nail is offside is what's completely fucking it up at the moment. What should, and hopefully will happen, is that the referee runs over to the screen, has a look at the freeze frame and when you can't decipher if someone is offside or not with NO FUCKING LINES OR DOTS DRAWN the goal is given.

On the positive side you never see a penalty given for a dive anymore, it's really cleaned that aspect of the game up. Shirt pulling in the box, while not completely eradicated, has definitely decreased and could be stamped out completely with proper use of VAR.

If offside was officiated correctly there would barely be any uproar over VAR - that's what's making a total farce of things.


Trust Mike cheat Reilly to oversee such a cluster fuck :roll:

Jock Gooner
Posts: 2698
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Re: VAR

Post by Jock Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm
They say a craftsman shouldn't blame his tools...and so I don't think we should blame VAR, but I DO blame the retarded Useless Vadge's trying to use it. :evil:
I completely agree that. I'm actually 100% on favour of VAR if it were used as intended - correcting clear an obvious errors by officials. The dots and lines bullshit to see if a player's toe nail is offside is what's completely fucking it up at the moment. What should, and hopefully will happen, is that the referee runs over to the screen, has a look at the freeze frame and when you can't decipher if someone is offside or not with NO FUCKING LINES OR DOTS DRAWN the goal is given.

On the positive side you never see a penalty given for a dive anymore, it's really cleaned that aspect of the game up. Shirt pulling in the box, while not completely eradicated, has definitely decreased and could be stamped out completely with proper use of VAR.

If offside was officiated correctly there would barely be any uproar over VAR - that's what's making a total farce of things.


Trust Mike cheat Reilly to oversee such a cluster fuck :roll:

Totally agree. I've said before that referees and Rileys are the problem not VAR itself. A complete disregard for the "clear and obvious" guidelines has made a mockery out of the system. If I didn't already know that most PL refs are cu.nts by nature I'd have thought they were deliberately trying to fuck VAR up. The real travesty is they are getting away with it.

To be fair technology in football has had some positive effects. On the shirt pulling at corners, it has decreased but do you remember the use of VAR at corners at the last WC. It was pretty heavy handed with plenty of pens but it sorted the issue out.

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

Si far this season Arsenal have had the legitimate goal disallowed at home to Palace, the first goal in the away fuck up at Watford ( Arsenal messed up the goal kick but Cleverley was in the box when the goalkick was taken and the goal shouldn't have been allowed) , the definate penalty for the pull on Sokratis away to Sheffield United and now looking at that picture the away goal at Palace all incorrectly adjudicated on by referees or VAR...Can't think of one that went our way.

Clash
Posts: 2673
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm
Si far this season Arsenal have had the legitimate goal disallowed at home to Palace, the first goal in the away fuck up at Watford ( Arsenal messed up the goal kick but Cleverley was in the box when the goalkick was taken and the goal shouldn't have been allowed) , the definate penalty for the pull on Sokratis away to Sheffield United and now looking at that picture the away goal at Palace all incorrectly adjudicated on by referees or VAR...Can't think of one that went our way.
All true. Personally I would also add Aubamayeng's red card on Saturday. I know we're not all in agreement that red was wrong but we've seen other similar incidents where VAR has not interfered and we will see a few more I'm sure. That red could be very costly as our top scorer is now missing for 3 games as well as the last 30 odds mins at Palace.

The only VAR decision we've benefited from I can think of is Auba's equaliser at OT ... but that was such a shockingly bad decision from the linesman that I am reluctant to give VAR any credit.

Clash
Posts: 2673
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm
They say a craftsman shouldn't blame his tools...and so I don't think we should blame VAR, but I DO blame the retarded Useless Vadge's trying to use it. :evil:
I completely agree that. I'm actually 100% on favour of VAR if it were used as intended - correcting clear an obvious errors by officials. The dots and lines bullshit to see if a player's toe nail is offside is what's completely fucking it up at the moment. What should, and hopefully will happen, is that the referee runs over to the screen, has a look at the freeze frame and when you can't decipher if someone is offside or not with NO FUCKING LINES OR DOTS DRAWN the goal is given.

On the positive side you never see a penalty given for a dive anymore, it's really cleaned that aspect of the game up. Shirt pulling in the box, while not completely eradicated, has definitely decreased and could be stamped out completely with proper use of VAR.

If offside was officiated correctly there would barely be any uproar over VAR - that's what's making a total farce of things.


Trust Mike cheat Reilly to oversee such a cluster fuck :roll:

Totally agree. I've said before that referees and Rileys are the problem not VAR itself. A complete disregard for the "clear and obvious" guidelines has made a mockery out of the system. If I didn't already know that most PL refs are cu.nts by nature I'd have thought they were deliberately trying to fuck VAR up. The real travesty is they are getting away with it.

To be fair technology in football has had some positive effects. On the shirt pulling at corners, it has decreased but do you remember the use of VAR at corners at the last WC. It was pretty heavy handed with plenty of pens but it sorted the issue out.
Some interesting points you all make.

For me, goal-line technology has been the only good example of technology coming in and improving the game and as things stand i think that is all we should be using.

Maybe if and when the VAR technology has become sufficiently advanced so that is able to make instant offside decisions itself without any human input (i.e. not relying on a bunch of faceless knobs scrutinising everything on screens in a pokey room somewhere) then it could be worth using.

But the long delays in games and the farce of players and fans celebrating while the ball is placed on the centre circle for kick-off ... only for it all to be called back because the goal has been ruled out ... that needs to be stopped because its killing the game!

And as for deciding on other incidents like tackles or off the ball stuff - it should absolutely not get involved at all because these are not being dealt with consistently or fairly. Deal with that stuff retrospectively if necessary but leave the on field ref to deal with it during the game.

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6512
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: VAR

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm
Si far this season Arsenal have had the legitimate goal disallowed at home to Palace, the first goal in the away fuck up at Watford ( Arsenal messed up the goal kick but Cleverley was in the box when the goalkick was taken and the goal shouldn't have been allowed) , the definate penalty for the pull on Sokratis away to Sheffield United and now looking at that picture the away goal at Palace all incorrectly adjudicated on by referees or VAR...Can't think of one that went our way.
The Aubameyang goal away at Old Trafford was flagged offside by the Lino but was about 2 yards on when the ball was played.

xisstential
Posts: 3949
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 am

Re: VAR

Post by xisstential »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nsion.html

Pointing out Robertson's "horror challenge V Tottenham" Yea.....good luck with that. Basically having to admit that sitting and studying the evidence they got it wrong on the day? As I said...good luck with that.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48150
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm
Si far this season Arsenal have had the legitimate goal disallowed at home to Palace, the first goal in the away fuck up at Watford ( Arsenal messed up the goal kick but Cleverley was in the box when the goalkick was taken and the goal shouldn't have been allowed) , the definate penalty for the pull on Sokratis away to Sheffield United and now looking at that picture the away goal at Palace all incorrectly adjudicated on by referees or VAR...Can't think of one that went our way.
The Aubameyang goal away at Old Trafford was flagged offside by the Lino but was about 2 yards on when the ball was played.
I still don't know how they got that one wrong tbh. There was clear daylight between them ffs! :roll:

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48150
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nsion.html

Pointing out Robertson's "horror challenge V Tottenham" Yea.....good luck with that. Basically having to admit that sitting and studying the evidence they got it wrong on the day? As I said...good luck with that.
Firstly I'm glad we are appealing it because the red was a ludicrous decision as there was not excessive force in Boomerang's tackle. Repeatedly watching slow motion replays and freeze-frames of the impact made it look worse than it was- especially to a fucking idiot like Pawson who obviously like most referees has never played the game. :roll:

Secondly it's a risk appealing it. If the complete morons that run these things at the FA consider the appeal to be frivolous or unjustified then they might extend the ban.

Personally I think they'll just tell us to fuck off because we are not LiVARpool. :roll: :censored:

User avatar
rodders999
Posts: 12536
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Diamond Club

Re: VAR

Post by rodders999 »

DB the rule where you may get an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal is gone so it's definitely worth a pop.

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:55 am
xisstential wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nsion.html

Pointing out Robertson's "horror challenge V Tottenham" Yea.....good luck with that. Basically having to admit that sitting and studying the evidence they got it wrong on the day? As I said...good luck with that.
Firstly I'm glad we are appealing it because the red was a ludicrous decision as there was not excessive force in Boomerang's tackle. Repeatedly watching slow motion replays and freeze-frames of the impact made it look worse than it was- especially to a fucking idiot like Pawson who obviously like most referees has never played the game. :roll:

Secondly it's a risk appealing it. If the complete morons that run these things at the FA consider the appeal to be frivolous or unjustified then they might extend the ban.

Personally I think they'll just tell us to fuck off because we are not LiVARpool. :roll: :censored:
Thought the commentators said on Saturday they only watch it in real time.. It's not the red card for Aubameyang that bothers me so much, it is the inconsistency of decisions. And to further insult our intelligence SSN put a former ref on every Monday morning to tell us that Liverpool good the rest bad..

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48150
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am
DB the rule where you may get an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal is gone so it's definitely worth a pop.
Really? Thought it was still there. Deffo worth a shot then.

Post Reply