Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Re: Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

Post by falkirk goon »

I despise Xhaka I really do..I've never disliked a player as much as I dislike him :cry: How he can fool so many managers for so fkn long is beyond me it really is :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Seeing Saliba up on that exercise bike gave me a massive fuzzy :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:19 pm
Seeing Saliba up on that exercise bike gave me a massive fuzzy :barscarf:

:coffeespit: Rodders mate! You are so Funny! :lol: :cheers:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:48 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:01 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm
It has only taken a couple of key players missing to expose the lack of options - take out one of the first choice centre halves plus Zinchenko and suddenly we are all at sea. Heaven help us when the CL games start as unlike the EL group stage, we won't get away with playing reserves.

Tomiyasu last had a decent game about a year ago. I'm not having it with him missing - Arteta has preferred White there all season regardless of Tomiyasu's fitness

As i said when we went out of the EL, if people see that as a good thing because our fragile squad can't stand the rigour, then what the fuck are we going to think when we are in the CL. The two central midfield positions are constantly being spoken about- Rice and Caceido etc, and whilst that is needed, what difference will it make the minute that Kiwior or Holding play behind them?

Two centre halves and two midfielders would be needed, before we even talk about other positions
Tomiyasu's form is totally irrelevant to the discussion.
Not sure I agree - you mentioned that we're missing Saliba and Tomiyasu......Tomyiasu would only be a miss of any relevance if he'd actually been playing well. The fact that he couldn't get a game ahead of a converted CB even when he was fit, just shows what little faith there is in him now. When he did come back in briefly, he was absolutely useless and one of the main factors that cost us the Man City home game. White has had to play the whole season either because he's been injured, or crap. Having him available now, and shifting White to centre half as you suggest (ahead of Holding) would only have the impact of strengthening the CB position, and significantly weakening the RB position
The conversation was about Holding. If Tomiyasu was fit Ben White would probably be playing at centre back regardless of Tomi's form. That's why it's irrelevant.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
It has only taken a couple of key players missing to expose the lack of options - take out one of the first choice centre halves plus Zinchenko and suddenly we are all at sea. Heaven help us when the CL games start as unlike the EL group stage, we won't get away with playing reserves.

Tomiyasu last had a decent game about a year ago. I'm not having it with him missing - Arteta has preferred White there all season regardless of Tomiyasu's fitness

As i said when we went out of the EL, if people see that as a good thing because our fragile squad can't stand the rigour, then what the fuck are we going to think when we are in the CL. The two central midfield positions are constantly being spoken about- Rice and Caceido etc, and whilst that is needed, what difference will it make the minute that Kiwior or Holding play behind them?

Two centre halves and two midfielders would be needed, before we even talk about other positions
Not sure I agree - you mentioned that we're missing Saliba and Tomiyasu......Tomyiasu would only be a miss of any relevance if he'd actually been playing well. The fact that he couldn't get a game ahead of a converted CB even when he was fit, just shows what little faith there is in him now. When he did come back in briefly, he was absolutely useless and one of the main factors that cost us the Man City home game. White has had to play the whole season either because he's been injured, or crap. Having him available now, and shifting White to centre half as you suggest (ahead of Holding) would only have the impact of strengthening the CB position, and significantly weakening the RB position
The conversation was about Holding. If Tomiyasu was fit Ben White would be playing at centre back regardless of Tomi's form. That's why it's irrelevant.
Yes - he would be playing there. He'd be shit and the team wouldn't be any better for it than Holding playing at centre half now

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

The conversation was about Holding. If Tomiyasu was fit Ben White would be playing at centre back regardless of Tomi's form. That's why it's irrelevant.
Yes - he would be playing there. He'd be shit and the team wouldn't be any better for it than Holding playing at centre half now
I didn't say any different. The conversation was about Holding. :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:36 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

I didn't say any different. The conversation was about Holding. :roll:
Holding.....the bloke wearing the alice band who brings his own energy drink. You'll know him if you see him :D :D

TomHelo14

Post by TomHelo14 »

Surely this will be 3 points… won’t it?

Won’t it?!?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yes Tom it WILL!

Believe Buddy! B-E-L-I-E-V-E !

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I Have Shock of Shocks Got A Ticket For This In The North Bank As Well !

Yaaaaaaaaay!!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

#COYG

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

From today's pre match presser...

Mikel Arteta on Smith Rowe: “He’s pushing. In football, what you did a year ago, a month ago is not important, it’s about what you do now, what you did yesterday & what you do tomorrow. The player has to have that mindset & the contribution has to be now to the team to make us better & to make us win games. He’s very close.”

I would hazard a guess that ESR isn't showing in training what Arteta expects and wants right now.

As I've always maintained, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes but some insist on talking as if they do.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:58 pm

Mikel Arteta on Smith Rowe: “He’s pushing. In football, what you did a year ago, a month ago is not important, it’s about what you do now, what you did yesterday & what you do tomorrow. The player has to have that mindset & the contribution has to be now to the team to make us better & to make us win games. He’s very close.”

I would hazard a guess that ESR isn't showing in training what Arteta expects and wants right now.

As I've always maintained, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes but some insist on talking as if they do.
On the face of it - based on his pre this season performance’s he would for me be in the team (Xhaka’s position) or first sub on to change things up, along with Trossard when needed.
But this season he has done very little - admittedly with little game time to show anything of note, which leaves training at maximum effort to highlight why you should be in the team.

Previously there have been mentions of diet not being right etc, so maybe he isn’t adhering to the clubs ethos of looking after himself ?

A fit, performing ESR is a huge talent, 2 / 3 seasons ago I would have picked him over Saka as best young player, now he is in danger of being either forgotten or cast aside as the new youth will be looking to make their mark in the next year or two.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Don't know if it's physical, mental or attitude but reading between the lines there is obviously something that hasn't been right.

It's quite widely known that he had a Nandos problem. :lol:

Hopefully it gets sorted quickly cos we'd all hate for him to waste his undoubted talent or end up playing elsewhere.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:58 pm

It wasn't at all obvious that Arteta fancied him last season, despite the boy was performing really well and being our leading goalscorer. Got injured and then couldn't get back in the side. It's always seemed to me that Arteta wasn't keen and was quick to leave him out. Like Stuart, I also thought a couple of years ago that he'd be the best of all out youngsters.

None of us know whether he's putting it in the effort in training and you're right, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but there's something we know very well and that is that Xhaka and Vieira aren't capable of showing during matches. ESR would be an improvement on that pair if he had one leg and was 3 stone overweight.

I've been saying for the last year that he needs to insist on a move, because if he stays at the Arsenal, his career will be be ruined. He needs to play, but he clearly doesn't figure in Arteta's plans.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I love ESR to bits but it's clear that his recovery periods take a while, and for a young lad he's going to need to keep an eye on his weight and fitness

Really has got great talent and hope he stays and becomes a fixture in this team.

If nothing else it will spare us the Portuguese pipe cleaner!