Other Matches Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by rodders999 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:24 pm
I want Etihad to win (buy) it. UEFA will hate it and be scrambling around to find some charges..

Though they probably won't stick, just like the PL charges, Newcastle and Man utd will be pimped then they'll say looks how competitive it is.

:censored:

I hope we enjoy dominating European football, shame our economy is totally fvcked though because, like in football, we sell everything off, including our soul..

:roll:
UEFA have already charged them twice with cheating, first time the sheikh paid a huge fine to get them off the hook, second time their huge team of dirty lawyers wriggled them out from underneath it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmah ... iction/amp/

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Crap finish by Haaland.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Not really sure I buy the argument UEFA will be out for Man City. For a start they’re already way past the point of being hurt by a by a few financial penalties. And secondly Man City are already well on the way to building a global fanbase. Money is money and UEFA is all about money.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Never mind UEFA, the silence from the English press about the financial corruption has been deafening. It’s literally never mentioned again since the week the story broke.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Looking like either Coventry or Luton coming up via the playoffs.

Still absolutely traumatised by the Stein brothers in the littlewoods cup final, oh the tears that were shed that day…..but hairy hands supports Coventry so I’m torn.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

What a great final Luton v Coventry would be

Time for a bit of romance and dreaming in football, unlike the death of football going on at the Etihad. Still I'm sure FFP will save the day, just like it did when Abramovich started throwing money around 20 years ago

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Pretty sure I called this treble about 2 months ago when we were top by 8 points. Was called a WUM. Hmmm…

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:39 pm

Still absolutely traumatised by the Stein brothers in the littlewoods cup final, oh the tears that were shed that day…..but hairy hands supports Coventry so I’m torn.

I can't stand Luton, didn't like them before that Littlewoods Cup Final, but like you, that lost left scars. We were playing crap and were 1-0 down, but somehow equalised and then the momentum swung and we were bossing it. We get the penalty and had we scored, that would have been it. Dixon fucked up, missed it and the pendulum swung back their way. The rest is history.

very similar performance to the Birmingham final. :(

Anyway, I've always quite liked Coventry so will be cheering for them, but sadly I think Luton will win it.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

On a different note, it will be the first time I'll be cheering for Utd in a cup final, but if City play like they did tonight, it will be an annihilation.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:52 pm
rodders999 wrote:

I can't stand Luton, didn't like them before that Littlewoods Cup Final, but like you, that lost left scars. We were playing crap and were 1-0 down, but somehow equalised and then the momentum swung and we were bossing it. We get the penalty and had we scored, that would have been it. Dixon fucked up, missed it and the pendulum swung back their way. The rest is history.

Anyway, I've always quite liked Coventry so will be cheering for them, but sadly I think Luton will win it.

Retro old boy, it was Winterburn who took the penalty ( why is anybody’s guess, as he had never taken one for us before that game)

We were 2-1 up, hit the post, cruising, dominating, then that pen miss changed the whole game.

Ruined my birthday 🎂 and have hated Luton since.

Glad Luton got relegated time after time - only went there once, when we were officially banned ( all away fans not just us ) but a mate was at Hatfield uni so was within catchment for membership.

Half the ground was Arsenal - Adams got sent off and received a standing ovation 👏

Coventry meanwhile beat the scum at Wembley in 87, and Mabbut (og) played a blinder.😂 👍🏻🏆

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:54 pm
On a different note, it will be the first time I'll be cheering for Utd in a cup final, but if City play like they did tonight, it will be an annihilation.
Speaking of annihilation….what’s the record defeat in a European cup final?

Fat-kaku, Edin Dzeko and Mikhi await….fucking hell :shock:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sorry Retro, as much as I don’t like how Man City have “grown” into a European force, NOTHING could make me cheer on Manure. So they do the treble? Wipes out the uniqueness of Manure’s. And I just want to see rat face Fernandes crying at the end when they’re thumped 5-0!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:

If $hitty were playing anyone else (other than us of course) I'd agree, but Manure are a detestable bunch of cun.ts and Nothing can make me want them to win Ever!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Luton v Coventry - one of the very few things to smile about at the end of this season

A team that were non league a decade ago against a team that were homeless playing their home games 50 odd miles away and virtually bust at roughly the same time

The emotional roller coaster those fans have been on. Fair fucks to both of them- what a great day to look forward too. What football should be all about. Very envious! Would rather experience that raw emotion then being gallant runners up and qualifying for a tournament you've got absolutely no hope in, and have been nothing short of embarrassing in every season

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:01 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:52 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Retro old boy, it was Winterburn who took the penalty ( why is anybody’s guess, as he had never taken one for us before that game)

We were 2-1 up, hit the post, cruising, dominating, then that pen miss changed the whole game.

Ruined my birthday 🎂 and have hated Luton since.

Glad Luton got relegated time after time - only went there once, when we were officially banned ( all away fans not just us ) but a mate was at Hatfield uni so was within catchment for membership.

Half the ground was Arsenal - Adams got sent off and received a standing ovation 👏

Coventry meanwhile beat the scum at Wembley in 87, and Mabbut (og) played a blinder.😂 👍🏻🏆
Fucking Luton and that final. Them and that fucking shit plastic pitch and absolutely shit fucking ground with a row of fucking shit greenhouses down the side or Coventry with a shit fucking ground and a row of shit garden sheds down one side. We always had to play them in the middle of winter when it was fucking freezing cold and pitch fucking black. Having said that about both of them, fucking well fucking played to be where they are right now after what they've been through over the last twenty years. Either of them would be a welcome addition to the top flight at the expense of Leeds, Everton or Leicester.