Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm
All the akbs are just the same as the original akbs.

Careful what you wish for. Etc etc

What the ones on here refuse to acknowledge is the fact arterta was a complete unknown when he was appointed as a manager

I don't shit on him as much as some, but I'd certainly prefer someone else as I think he's character is wrong, his decisions have been shown to be poor, he's egotistical and wasteful with money and has favorites who are shite.

I wanted to judge him this season. So far I am negatively as we gone backwards and havertz...

Its easy to do dismiss managerial options as people did with wenger. But as artrta proves you don't know till you try so any comments that de zerbi or others would fail is omplete bllx as you don't know. Experience wasn't an issue when arteta was appointed so why are you making it one now??

De zerbi has managed a few places as well so not the novice Arteta is.

Personally I would take conte happily. Arteta doesn't develop youth or give it a chance. That's most people's beef with conte but we are a club who spends money now, albeit stick at mo cos of wasting billions on klive.

He could get far more out of the players ae have and his style of play couldn't be more turgid than what we get at moment and frankly if we win I dont care.

His issue at scum was money. Give him what Artetas spent and he would have us at a higher level than we are currently imo.
Exactly. That's the bit the Arteta fanboys don’t understand. They think a manager that failed at one club under a certain set of circumstances will automatically fail at another club even though the circumstances will be entirely different.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

In the conte example I don't think he did fail tbh either. He had them going well but when it dawned him wtf he was doing at such a shite club he engineered it perfectly to get out as quickly as possible. He knew they were shite genetically and made a perfect escape and called them out in being shite which was hilarious.
Rather appropriately given the date nearly, all the BS points by US Wilson and Co just seem like groundhog day from the doldrums of wengers last decade.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 pm
In the conte example I don't think he did fail tbh either. He had them going well but when it dawned him wtf he was doing at such a shite club he engineered it perfectly to get out as quickly as possible. He knew they were shite genetically and made a perfect escape and called them out in being shite which was hilarious.
Rather appropriately given the date nearly, all the BS points by US Wilson and Co just seem like groundhog day from the doldrums of wengers last decade.

I agree re Conte. Always rated him and I'd be happy to out the Cone Boy and give him a go.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm
All the akbs are just the same as the original akbs.

Careful what you wish for. Etc etc

What the ones on here refuse to acknowledge is the fact arterta was a complete unknown when he was appointed as a manager

I don't shit on him as much as some, but I'd certainly prefer someone else as I think he's character is wrong, his decisions have been shown to be poor, he's egotistical and wasteful with money and has favorites who are shite.

I wanted to judge him this season. So far I am negatively as we gone backwards and havertz...

Its easy to do dismiss managerial options as people did with wenger. But as artrta proves you don't know till you try so any comments that de zerbi or others would fail is omplete bllx as you don't know. Experience wasn't an issue when arteta was appointed so why are you making it one now??

De zerbi has managed a few places as well so not the novice Arteta is.

Personally I would take conte happily. Arteta doesn't develop youth or give it a chance. That's most people's beef with conte but we are a club who spends money now, albeit stick at mo cos of wasting billions on klive.

He could get far more out of the players ae have and his style of play couldn't be more turgid than what we get at moment and frankly if we win I dont care.

His issue at scum was money. Give him what Artetas spent and he would have us at a higher level than we are currently imo.
Ive heard it all know. Were talking about hiring a manager who last job was Spurs, and Spurs fans couldn't wait to see go. I cant even fathom sacking Arteta and bringing in Conte and thinking we have improved our chances. Spurs are in a much without Conte, and Ange doesnt even have Kane.

Like I said, people just have a problem with Arteta, to the point they would have anyone replace him. If Conte came in, and we slide down the table and he fractured relationships at the club and players left, and that toxic energy that existed in the later Wenger years returned, it would be thoroughly deserved for the self-sabotage of sacking Arteta for Conte.

Why not fucking David Moyes

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

People gaslight the role Arteta has done. He came in at the halfway mark during the 19-20 season, this was the year Liverpool and Man City got 97 and 98 points. They were miles ahead of us, 40 points better off. Liverpool and Man City have ran the PL for the past 6 years. The only manager who has come close to breaking into that club is Arteta, and he did it from a position of weakness.

Even now. The score is Liverpool 51, Man City 49, Arsenal 46. Were not miles away. Arteta is there with Klopp and Pep for the second season running. Yet people think this would be a given with any manager.

People say we should gamble and bring in someone like Conte. But to me its not a gamble, its pissing away our position. I think under Conte, we would have a lower ceiling, and a lower floor. Thats why I consider the idea of replacing Arteta with Conte to be braindead.

Would you gamble your house to win a donut? Because thats what a Conte appointment is.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:41 pm
People gaslight the role Arteta has done. He came in at the halfway mark during the 19-20 season, this was the year Liverpool and Man City got 97 and 98 points. They were miles ahead of us, 40 points better off. Liverpool and Man City have ran the PL for the past 6 years. The only manager who has come close to breaking into that club is Arteta, and he did it from a position of weakness.

Even now. The score is Liverpool 51, Man City 49, Arsenal 46. Were not miles away. Arteta is there with Klopp and Pep for the second season running. Yet people think this would be a given with any manager.

People say we should gamble and bring in someone like Conte. But to me its not a gamble, its pissing away our position. I think under Conte, we would have a lower ceiling, and a lower floor. Thats why I consider the idea of replacing Arteta with Conte to be braindead.

Would you gamble your house to win a donut? Because thats what a Conte appointment is.

1. Have our results declined since last season ?
2. Have our team performances regressed since last season ?
3. Is zinchenko a weak link at left back ?
4. Will jesus ever score enough goals to fire us to a league title ?
5. Have our best two young players (saka and martinelli) regressed this season ?
6. Has havertz been a good purchase ?
7. Would we be as high as we are in league table if manure, the chavs and the geordies were not having shit seasons ? Actually tbf to the geordies they are crippled with injuries
8. You keep referring to klopp, but seeing as he took over the victims in a worse place than we were when the cone boy was appointed, and given that the cone boy in 4 years has spent almost as much as klopp has in nine seasons, how the fcuk can you put diet pep in same bracket as klopp ??

You answer those questions honestly and there is no way you can put up a defence of cone boy

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

5. Have our best two young players (saka and martinelli) regressed this season ?
7. Would we be as high as we are in league table if manure, the chavs and the geordies were not having shit seasons ? Actually tbf to the geordies they are crippled with injuries
8. You keep referring to klopp, but seeing as he took over the victims in a worse place than we were when the cone boy was appointed, and given that the cone boy in 4 years has spent almost as much as klopp has in nine seasons, how the fcuk can you put diet pep in same bracket as klopp ??

You answer those questions honestly and there is no way you can put up a defence of cone boy
I'm looking forward to his reply

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

1. Has Arteta flushed the toxic piss take attitude players like Ozil and PEA displayed, and installed a much more disciplined and committed atmosphere
2. Are we now a solid defensive unit that knows what to do out of possession.
3 Have we stopped the blow out scorelines. where we used to concede 5-6 goals on multiple times each season.
4. was our goals tally of 88 last season not the highest number of goals scored in our PL history
5. are we not the best set piece team in the league
6. are expectations much higher under Arteta than they have been in over 10 years.
7. Is this not the best Arsenal squad since 2006.
8 Is this not the best defensive Arsenal team in at least 15 years.

Most of your points are anecdotal and opinion based. And to go to your first point, 'have our results declined this season', yes they have on a points total. However this is a higher expectation among Arsenal fans that is now demanded given the surprise of last season. Which goes to the biggest point, has Arteta raised standards...........YES he fukng has and thats undeniable.

If we had of got Eddie Howe and finished 4th, the brexit faction of the fanbase would be wanking themsevles dry over how good a job Eee-dee is doing. As I keep saying, some fans just dont like Arteta, and would be more 'comfortable' if we had Eddie Howe as manager.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:00 am
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

1. Has Arteta flushed the toxic piss take attitude players like Ozil and PEA displayed, and installed a much more disciplined and committed atmosphere
3 Have we stopped the blow out scorelines. where we used to concede 5-6 goals on multiple times each season.
4. was our goals tally of 88 last season not the highest number of goals scored in our PL history
6. are expectations much higher under Arteta than they have been in over 10 years.

Most of your points are anecdotal and opinion based. And to go to your first point, 'have our results declined this season', yes they have on a points total. However this is a higher expectation among Arsenal fans that is now demanded given the surprise of last season. Which goes to the biggest point, has Arteta raised standards...........YES he fukng has and thats undeniable.

If we had of got Eddie Howe and finished 4th, the brexit faction of the fanbase would be wanking themsevles dry over how good a job Eee-dee is doing. As I keep saying, some fans just dont like Arteta, and would be more 'comfortable' if we had Eddie Howe as manager.
:coffeespit:

You are delusional. :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

My points are anaecdotal and your two that I highlighted are not ?? :lol: :lol:

I'll answer the two of them together - we dont have a keeper of the required standard and we dont have a left back period, and if saliba isnt there our defence falls to pieces, so no this isnt the best defence in 15 years :roll: So if you dont have a good enough keeper and your defence is totally dependent on one centre back (who the cone boy didnt want), and you dont have a proper striker in the club, then no this isnt the best AFC squad either

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Hold on a minute Wilson, Augie simply asked a series of questions that he wanted you to answer. Hiding behind terms like "anecdotal" doesn't cut it. It would be good if you would answer Augie's questions, so that we know your opinions on those matters. Not answering them implies that you're afraid that your answers might not reflect too well on Arteta. Give it a go Wilson, answer each question in turn.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Please answer the questions.

It will be interesting to hear your answer

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

WTF has it got to do with Brexit ?

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:43 am
WTF has it got to do with Brexit ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

wilson2.0 wrote:
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Mikel, you’ve outed yourself.