Xabi Alonso

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gunnerbrad

Xabi Alonso

Post by gunnerbrad »

I today read again he is on his way to Arsenal. And i think he is, Wenger has said he wouldnt mind buying a cup tied player and he is looking for a midfielder. Also today Rafa annouced the signing of Riera, who is a central midfielder and with Mascerano, Gerrard and now Riera i think hw could be on his way. Hes a good player and has played with Cesc in Spain so i would be impressed with Wenger if he signed in the nest 48 hours.

dvbrisgooner1

Post by dvbrisgooner1 »

If it takes 48 hourse you can forget it! The window closes at Midnight tomorrow.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

I've got a feeling you may be right, assuming the Riera deal is confirmed, Alonso may finally be heading our way tomorrow.

It'd be a a shame he would be excluded from CL football, but he is a fantastic player. I know he's not an enforcer type of midfielder, or even a headless chicken style of player like Flamini last season. But Alonso has plenty of defensive qualities, and (according to Radio 5) played immediately in front of the defence and behind Mascherano in Liverpool's 0-0 with Villa today.

Alonso has great passing technique and of course is well known for his long-range shooting, and I would think he and Cesc could play a good game of keep-ball, that might mean we keep more of the ball. He may not offer quite as good a defensive screen as Flamini, Gilberto or Vieira (though as I say, his defensive abilities are underrated), but we would be significantly improved having him for PL games.

The fact that he's a proven winner, is experienced, already knows Cesc and knows the PL only underlines what a good signing he would be. Also, he offers options, in that he could take the Cesc role too, when Cesc is tired, injured etc.

I would accept the signing of another midfielder, but this is the one I really want to happen. If Benitez really is crazy enough to let go one of the best players he has, let's go for it.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

With Gerrard injured I think the Alonso deal is less likely to happen than last week, but you never know!

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Alonsos playing great right now.
Why WOULD they sell him?

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

He would only be cup-tied til january also, so come the last 16 knockout stage he would be eligable to play for us! :barscarf:

fridge

Post by fridge »

incorrect, he is cup tied for the whole season.

Jimmythecuckoo

Post by Jimmythecuckoo »

mrgnu1958 wrote:Alonsos playing great right now.
Why WOULD they sell him?
can't see it myself.

RaM

Post by RaM »

This has been my most hoped for of the mooted transfers. I hope it happens as I believe he would be good in the centre. His defensive qualities are highly underrated, anytime I've watched him he has been defensively sound.

shimmy21

Post by shimmy21 »

fridge wrote:incorrect, he is cup tied for the whole season.
no Craig is correct - it's only till January as he has only played the qualifyers.

How quick did the Silvestre deal take? Half a day? If AW wants him, i'm sure he will do his best to get him before the deadline expires. I'd love him to come to the grove to proove critics wrong and show we can play in the transfer market but he is very similar to Cesc and i can't see how they could compliment each other. Alonso isn't defensive minded - he attacks more, hence why Machenaro and Alonso have played together many times before.

BT

Post by BT »

fridge wrote:incorrect, he is cup tied for the whole season.
That's what i thought. Its Barry who could play in January since he's only in the UEFA. Alonso would be cup tied throughout but that will drive his price down...

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

From the Liverpool Echo (via Newsnow): 'Benitez said: "I think that Alonso will be staying."'

Has anyone got solid info or a link re the eligibility/cup-tied issue? I looked at the CL Regs on uefa.com, which said (subject to narrow exceptions, plus the Intertot etc) players can't appear in UEFA competitions for two clubs in the same season. But I didn't find anything about the position on CL qualifiers.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Liverpool have now formally announced the signing of midfielder, Albert Riera, from Espanyol.

crocit

Post by crocit »

isnt Riera a winger?

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

crocit wrote:isnt Riera a winger?
Yes, I think principally he is a winger, but he also plays CM. Don't know whether getting him (once they gave up on Barry) is what Benitez wanted before releasing Alonso but that has been suggested in the all the media crap. We shall see.