Wenger is doing the right things.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bring Back Pires

Re: Wenger is doing the right things.

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Nos89 wrote:Denilson - gone, JET - gone.
The fact that 'JET - gone' is your second 'right thing' highlights how weak your argument is. I hadn't heard anyone calling for JET's head at the end of last season.

And Denilson isn't entirely gone - we're still paying his extortionate wages.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Our defence is awful and signing one CB isn't likely to make a huge difference as we'll lose both first choice CB's, whoever they are, to injury at some point. We need 2 CB's and a left back to sign, defensive midfielder, a winger and a top notch striker.....THEN we will be in a good position.

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

TeeCee wrote:Our defence is awful and signing one CB isn't likely to make a huge difference as we'll lose both first choice CB's, whoever they are, to injury at some point. We need 2 CB's and a left back to sign, defensive midfielder, a winger and a top notch striker.....THEN we will be in a good position.
Correct. The fact that no one seems to be talking about a left back is beyond me.

skipper

Post by skipper »

augie wrote:
donaldo wrote:We still havent got a CB,The LB position is frightening,the back up to Szczesny is scary.Diaby Eboue Squillaci Rosicknote and Vela are still at the club.Doing things right?

Funny piece on last months 4-4-2 where gibbs was giving advice on how to play the left back position in which (amongst other things) he advised potential left backs to stay positionally close to your centre backs or else you could be exposed........this from a guy who defensive positioning and awareness makes the likes of clichy and song appear ultra negative :roll: :oops:
Is it really Gibbss fault that our centre backs seem to spend a lot of time in opponents half? :wink:

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

skipper wrote:
Is it really Gibbss fault that our centre backs seem to spend a lot of time in opponents half? :wink:
They never play that deep!

I would say the summer has been a disappointing one. We have sold one or two youth players, only been able to loan out Denilson, I think soon to losing Bendtner is a blow though I know many disagree. Selling Clichy by itself was a good move for all parties concerned, his career had stagnated and Mancini could be the man to make him into a very good fullback. The real problem is that Cesc, understandably, wants to go but also Nasri. These are two of our bigger names and it has sent a signal. This following on from the embarrassing end of last season, it will make players less eager to join us, make our current players uneasy and it hardly fills the fans with confidence.

We have signed a young rightback and a winger who a lot of people seem to rate. Those are fine and dandy, I hope they have long and succesful career's with us. Where however is the DM? Where is the new leftback that needs to come in? Where is the statement addition that declares us a club of ambition again and which will ease the pressure? If Almunia goes, who is the third choice keeper? We could do with replacing Squalicci, ideally with a leader. Where are the leaders in the squad? We need to buy those.

Selling, we have done alright but sent back signals, buying we have not done anywhere near enough. I just hope we have a new coaching set-up, that we have all missed, that will teach the entire team to defend as a unit each and every game, not just one or two.

GoonerN5

Re: Wenger is doing the right things.

Post by GoonerN5 »

Nos89 wrote:This is not a defence of Wenger but he does seem to be doing the right things.

Denilson - gone, JET - gone. Almunia, Bendtner - going. Cesc and Nasri are still with us, but from what I understand with very definite understanding of the club's position. He's standing up to Barca.

With Juan Mata almost signed (SSN), and very clear target of Jagielka in the sights. He is doing what we want him to do.

Main concern is the goal keepers. Only Chelski and Liverpool have an established goalie. Utd and Citeh are in the same situation as us with relative young keepers.

Wenger does appear to be taking the corrective action we want him to. Discuss.
The only right thing Wenger can do is fuck off

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Doing the right things or talking about doing the right things :banghead:

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Wenger hasn't done anything yet. We haven't sold Eboue, Rosicky, Bendtner, Denilson, Squillaci... We haven't sorted out the Nasri or Cesc situations in any way shape or form... We haven't signed the centre back we're crying out for... We haven't established or signed a number 1 goalkeeper... We haven't signed a defensive midfielder...

I'm seriously worried. It's all very well selling Cesc and signing Mata, but this doesn't make us stronger. Even if Mata was as good as Cesc, which he isn't, that would be merely sustaining our current position. Again this summer, United, Citeh and Liverpool have moved on, Chelski will sign one or two yet, and we have remained the same.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

He made Nasri captain today even though he has said he will leave on a free next summer.What sort of a manager does that?

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

donaldo wrote:He made Nasri captain today even though he has said he will leave on a free next summer.What sort of a manager does that?
Couldn't believe that. Mind you, in reality it shouldn't have come as too much of a shock because Wenger has proven he thinks very little of the role and prestige that comes with being Captain - especially of The Arsenal!! :oops: :oops: :banghead:

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

Wenger could have done the RIGHT thing after the 2007/08 and brought the experienced quality 2-3 players needed and he might not be in this shitpile he's in now!!.

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

donaldo wrote:He made Nasri captain today even though he has said he will leave on a free next summer.What sort of a manager does that?
I was at the game and didnt even notice that - shows how bad the game was. What an utter joke. That alone shows why Wenger is not longer fit to be manager of our great Club.