Chicago travel advice

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
cusamano

Chicago travel advice

Post by cusamano »

I am going to Chicago next November for one week.
Has anyone, especially Yankee Gooner, some handy hints?

I will definitely go to Wrigley Field (Stadium Tour).
Is there any Michael Jordan related Tour (Stadium Tour recommended?)
Any other Stadiums worth seeing?
Bars? Restaurants?

Thanks for help!

Rosie_titters

Re: Chicago travel advice

Post by Rosie_titters »

Chicago, that's my kind of town :D

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Going to Chicago, eh? I recommend the stalls or balcony. If you have some money, get a box.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

cusamano wrote:I am going to Chicago next November for one week.
Has anyone, especially Yankee Gooner, some handy hints?

I will definitely go to Wrigley Field (Stadium Tour).
Is there any Michael Jordan related Tour (Stadium Tour recommended?)
Any other Stadiums worth seeing?
Bars? Restaurants?

Thanks for help!
Chicago's a fantastic city. Absolutely beautiful. I go over there about twice a year, my brother lives there and I love watching the Cubs 8)

If you want to do a Michael Jordan related tour I'd imagine there'd be something at United Center, where the Bulls play. Or some sort of Bulls museum.

The White Sox are the Spurs of Chicago, horrible shoulder-chippy fans playing in a shit stadium in a shit area. Don't bother going to see it.

Soldier Field is okay but nothing special. If you have any way to see the Bears, Blackhawks, or Bulls play, do. It'll be great, as a spectacle, but tickets may be hard to come by.

In terms of food, the great steak and deep-dish pizza (I'm not a huge fan, but it's nonetheless a Chicago specialty) should be top of your list.

For steak, Morton's is the absolute best, but it is seriously expensive. Many good steak joints, a local would be best advised to give you their recommendations.

With regards to deep dish pizza, I went to Lou Malnati's, which was good, but there may be better places - lots of restaurants claim to be the best/original. Uno's, Giordano's, the Art of Pizza are all meant to be good.

Chinatown is also decent for food. If you want ethnic food, I know of places from Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Thai etc., mainly Near South Side and South Side though, which are pretty much no-go areas for tourists...
pretty crappy - when I go I mainly stay in the University bubble, or go around with locals. My old man used to live in Chicago, he was going to the University once after work for dinner., which is sort of the rubicon with regards to the South Side, he fell asleep on the Underground, went one stop too far, and got off, planning to walk up to the University, only about five minutes. As he got to ground level, a police car went past. Seeing a white, well-dressed bloke in a suit, the car stopped and said 'You sure you know where you're going?' and gave him a lift to the University... this was in 1980 or so mind, it's better now, but still if you don't know the South Side I'd exercise caution. Nothing to see there from a touristic perspective.

The Globe Pub is also good, for football. All games shown with a strong AFC contingent. I watched us turn over Stoke there this year at 7am, and it was class seeing all the United fans watch their side lose 6-1 in the same room 8)

A few things I'd recommend doing from a touristy angle would be:

a) going to Millennium Park, and seeing Anish Kapoor's sculpture, known as 'the Bean', it's really cool and a nice meeting space, right in the centre of the city.

b) walking around the Loop and the Near North side - real nice atmosphere and some lovely neighbourhoods.

c) doing a 'river architecture cruise' - absolutely fascinating and some great views. Can't remember the exact name, google it. About an hour/two hours long. Architecturally, Chicago for me is up there with London, New York and Barcelona. Mies van der Rohe, advent of the skyscrapers, and amazing Gothic buildings like the Tribune Building and the University of Chicago campus.

d)going to either the Sears Tower or the John Hancock Building and going up to the observation platforms for an aerial view of the city - great panoramic views over the city and the lake. I went up the John Hancock when I did it, but I think you can do it at the Sears Tower too - there won't be much difference in the quality of the experience.

Enjoy it mate. Chicago's a great, great city!

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

My advice? Don't travel to Chicago!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink:

cusamano

Post by cusamano »

@ SWLGooner: many thanks! :barscarf:

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

No problem mate.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Def check out a Cubs game at Wrigley. Get bleacher seats if you can!

Geno's East for deepdish pizza. Giordano's works as well. Best hotdogs are at Hot Doug's. You can get rattlesnake hotdogs :) FOR SURE get an Italian beef sandwich dipped in au jus. I recommend Portillo's but heres a list of some others http://chicago.citysearch.com/list/122591

Walk downtown to Navy Pier if you've never been. Also Millennium Park is nice. You can do the top of the Sears Tower tour if you like heights. For sure check out the Field Museum and/or the Museum of Science and Industry. The latter is cooler imo.

As for Jordan, god of Chi Town, His statue is outside the United Center where the Bulls/Blackhawks play. Kind of a shitty part of town though. Avoid the West/South side pretty much. Ghetto as fuck. If you like drinking, stay around the north side, by Wrigley. The area around the park is cool. The town is called Wrigleyville, its great for bars and such.

The city is laid back for a larger city, and its very beautiful in the summer time.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

And yes, do a river tour. Worth the money.

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

I swear he said he was going in autumn... It's a long time since the Cubs played in autumn mate :cry:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

ah so he did! So catch a Blackhawks game instead! Its the most exciting sport to see live! Plus, like 60% of the crowd is female, and 90% of those are fucking hot :)

SWLGooner

Post by SWLGooner »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:ah so he did! So catch a Blackhawks game instead! Its the most exciting sport to see live! Plus, like 60% of the crowd is female, and 90% of those are fucking hot :)
Just hope you can get on the KissCam in that case :lol: :lol:

cusamano

Post by cusamano »

I´d love to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field. I love Baseball, which is pretty exceptional for a german, but I´ll be there in November, so it´s off season :( Been to Fenway Park and the old Yankee Stadium some years ago!
I don´t like Hockey very much, but love Basketball. Bulls Tickets are pretty expensive and hard to get I think.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

expensive yes. the bulls are the most attended NBA team in the league. however, you can always get a ticket. either order online or just stand outside and buy one off someone selling.

Delorean Dor's

Post by Delorean Dor's »

I used to live there, all I can say is speak with an English accent and the women will act like whores, speak with an Irish accent and the women will still behave like whores but won't expect paying but a black eye should cover it all.