Stoke v Arsenal match thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dan_85

Re: Stoke v Arsenal match thread

Post by Dan_85 »

1989 wrote:At least we look solid defensively these days, last few years we'd have defo lost this game. Kudos to Bouldy.
Neither Sunderland or Stoke really threatened much coming forwards though...

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

phil_mitchell wrote:Post Deleted BY IHH

You are kidding, right ???

AFC(BSM)Jones

Post by AFC(BSM)Jones »

Utter garbage:
Cr@p team
cr@p formation
cr@p manager
cr@p board

Post by 1989 »

Dan_85 wrote:
1989 wrote:At least we look solid defensively these days, last few years we'd have defo lost this game. Kudos to Bouldy.
Neither Sunderland or Stoke really threatened much coming forwards though...
True but our shape looked very good, we defended as a unit and our tracking back has improved as well. Even Cazorla was getting stuck in at times. Looks promising to be honest.

Also Per gets criticised a lot, but he was excellent today.

swimmer1

Post by swimmer1 »

phil_mitchell wrote:Post Deleted by IHH.
Grow up

AFC(BSM)Jones

Post by AFC(BSM)Jones »

phil_mitchell wrote:Post deleted by IHH.

Seriously, you joking right? Whilst I think he needs to go I think ur sick for even thinking this.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Fuck off Troll.

You were at it last year calling Wenger what The Heebs and Manc filth chant.

What are you, like 8 years old.

Again, just to reiterate.....fuck off.

LeGinge (Northern Branch)

Post by LeGinge (Northern Branch) »

:rubchin:

Don't feed the trolls...

:mrgnu:

phil_mitchell

Post by phil_mitchell »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
phil_mitchell wrote:wenger reputation in tatters, has done nothing for arsenal and ....................
Fuck off Troll.

what..you a little sensetive soul ahhh bless
(Comments Deleted by IHH)

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

Piss off now, idiotic troll.

AFC(BSM)Jones

Post by AFC(BSM)Jones »

phil_mitchell wrote:
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
phil_mitchell wrote:wenger reputation in tatters, has done nothing for arsenal and ..............
Fuck off Troll.

what..you a little sensetive soul ahhh bless
(Comments Deleted by IHH)

Phil- Stop being a dick, why try and incite hatred. We are all Gooners on here. Bullying is not the way. You are way wrong and bang out of order....
Last edited by AFC(BSM)Jones on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Good result and defensive display in my eyes, cope well with their threat and didn't have many problems.

Battled hard with them and held our own.

Was beginning to think that I was the only person feelingbthat way :shock:

Listen we ain't no world beaters but we know that anyway and we have gone, to that shithole with better players than we had today and got turned over so we have to give credit to how strong defensively and how well organised we were. I don't like admitting this but I even thought that by and large diaby did ok ( :oops: ) although he did waste possession on occasions. For me Giroud did ok, no better and no worse, but I still have confidence that once he gets a couple of goals we will see a better player and I am willing to give the guy a chance just like we supported the great Dennis Bergkamp and Henry when they first joined us.

It does need to be said though that gervinho is utter utter shit - some argued that we will see a much better player this season as he will be settled but for me even though pigs ears can be turned into silk purses, I still dispute the notion that you can turn a shite brainless player into a good one

For me there is too much talk about the fact that we are goaless after 2 games - we know that the media will focus on it but we should be more aware of the fact that 3 of our 4 attacking players haven't settled into the team and this hasn't been helped by leaving them behind for our pre season tour.

It goes without saying that our season will be determined by the next 5 days - to press ahead with this squad is lunacy so they need to pull out the stops to bring in proven quality

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

People are honestly saying inbreds hardly threatened? They had their fair share of play in and around our box, they just hardly got any shots away. We contained them well when in seasons past we would have crumbled defensively.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I didn't see alot wrong with the performance today other than some of the players not being good enough (Ramsey, Gervinho) and some players not looking like they have played together for very long. I do think that we will concede less this year, but also score less. We just need to start clicking going forward and fast.

Still would like to see another creative mid as I don't think that Diaby is creative enough, although he did ok. With him, we have some depth.

The problem is that Wenger still doesn't know how to do subs. He was abysmal. I would have left Cazorla on, taken Gervinho off - Walcott and Oxlade on. There was no need for what he did and when he did. The subs should have come earlier as well, but as usual, Wenger sticks to the usual 70 minute like-for like subs. :banghead:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

augie wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:Good result and defensive display in my eyes, cope well with their threat and didn't have many problems.

Battled hard with them and held our own.

Was beginning to think that I was the only person feelingbthat way :shock:

Listen we ain't no world beaters but we know that anyway and we have gone, to that shithole with better players than we had today and got turned over so we have to give credit to how strong defensively and how well organised we were. I don't like admitting this but I even thought that by and large diaby did ok ( :oops: ) although he did waste possession on occasions. For me Giroud did ok, no better and no worse, but I still have confidence that once he gets a couple of goals we will see a better player and I am willing to give the guy a chance just like we supported the great Dennis Bergkamp and Henry when they first joined us.

It does need to be said though that gervinho is utter utter shit - some argued that we will see a much better player this season as he will be settled but for me even though pigs ears can be turned into silk purses, I still dispute the notion that you can turn a shite brainless player into a good one

For me there is too much talk about the fact that we are goaless after 2 games - we know that the media will focus on it but we should be more aware of the fact that 3 of our 4 attacking players haven't settled into the team and this hasn't been helped by leaving them behind for our pre season tour.

It goes without saying that our season will be determined by the next 5 days - to press ahead with this squad is lunacy so they need to pull out the stops to bring in proven quality

I think people need to cut Giroud some slack, he's not van persie so don't look for him to be shit because of it.

He played upfront against a couple of cavemen that usualy give our strikers a hard time and he gave as good as he got, he was also good defending their ariel balls, I thought he brought a proper physical side to the team we've not seen since Adebayor.

There's fine lines in football, he's on the pitch for 25 mins last week and missed a good chance, today he tried a bycle kick and outrageous effort that almost goes in, those 3 chances go in and it's Robin van Who.

For what it's worth van Persie started last season and didn't score for a few games so there needs to be some perspective.

Gervinho is shit and a waste of a place as he attacks players but then has no clue what to do, Diaby and Arteta were good together too and whatever way you dress it up since Alex Mong has left we look more solid and have kept 2 clean sheets.

As soon as this team starts scoring it will do well because at the back looks so much more secure and organised now, even Jenkinson looked decent, Arsenal teams in the past would have melted, this team looked tougher.