THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dan_85

Re: Arsene Wenger - For him or against him?

Post by Dan_85 »

Arsene Wenger "earned" just shy of £1400 during the 90 minute duration of today's match by my calculations.

I Hate Hleb

Re: Merse and Charlie turn on wenger

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Too little, too late. :banghead: :roll: :cry:

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Arsene wengers having a party, but there'll be no merse or Charlie

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

BournemouthRED wrote:Arsene wengers having a party, but there'll be no merse or Charlie

IM sure merse could get some charlie :wink:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Dan_85 wrote:Arsene Wenger "earned" just shy of £1400 during the 90 minute duration of today's match by my calculations.

Absolutely disgusting the money the *word censored* gets :banghead: he should change his surname to Gallagher :oops:

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:Convinced training is too centred around possession, and not enough around power runs and shots on goal.
Today's game saw us have nearly all the ball, but what did we do with it?
A few shots but not enough.
I think that is the problem too. We could have won the game today if we didn't take the extra pass at every oppurtunity we got. Giroud has in the last few games had a reasonably open goal twice and decided to pass the ball.....wtf.
Diaby also slowed us down a lot. When playing against a defence thats set up just to defend with 2 banks of 4, we lack penetration.

We should have started with our first 11 and when in the lead, bring on the second stringers.BTW I fucking hate Gerviho.

burg hohenzollern

Post by burg hohenzollern »

Hells Bells. When will people wake up to reality? I can only conclude one thing about AKB;s;-
(a) they have been on a different planet for 8 years
(b) They have just flown down on to planet earth or
(c) Gazidis is sponsoring them to brainwash normal people that success is now inevitable and will start inexorably from next season.
My own evaluation would be that the real reason we are shit is actually a mixture of the 3 reasons stated above (acknowledging of course that Uncle Ivan or Hot Dog man has not been at our once proud club for 8 years).
i really do despair - how many more pieces of evidence do these people want? (And by the way, pls do not give me the stuff about "there's nobody else to replace him". Really? So there's no one in the whole world who could not do a better job then him UNDER THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES. Sorry, but I simply do not believe it

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

This poster on afc forum is defintely for wenger

AW is still the best man for the job IMO and I think PHW should be given a bit of leeway because both he and AW are Arsenal

kite

Post by kite »

Steve_I wrote: Image

Outside of Manure, the main reason the second half of Arsene's time is 3/4 rather than 1/2, is money, money spent by shitty and the chavs. No other reason to my mind but massive amounts of money.
Just saw this so maybe a litte bit late to react.
But there is just one problem with what you say. Arsenal finished 4th the first time in the 2005/06 season. Behind United, Chelsea and Liverpool. City? They finished 15th. They were not even close to finishing top 4 and that only changed in the 2009/10 season when they finished 5th. Arsenal finished 4th - 3 times behind Liverpool - not Manchester City. City has only been a top team for 2 full seasons.

Post by 1989 »

At this point, Wenger has lost his legacy as far as I'm concerned. When he finally fucks off, he should not be remembered as a legend. His first 8 years were glorious, but he's undone it all in his last 8 years.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

During his radio interview, when the interviewer reminded him it's 8 years now, his reply was 'You count well'
Speechless :banghead:

Fever Pitch

Post by Fever Pitch »

Why does this debate continue !?! It is unthinkable that a commercial business continues on this trajectory without making changes...but this is what's happening.

Those that say "money" has been the reason behind the decline, please look at the facts and stop ! I believe that Bradford, Blackburn and Birmingham city (last cup final of recent years) have less money than Arsenal. Arsenal's wage bill is enormous, and remember how many of wenger's average recruits are out on loan and we pay a lot of their wages (Denilson, Bendtner...)

The reality is Wenger has spent a lot and not addressed key components of a winning team - leadership, intelligence, experience...and defence !
Look at the defensive incompetence over the last 8 years - Almunia, Senderos, squillaci , as examples - Wenger is a man who listens to no one when it comes to his blind spots. These a crucial areas to successful teams....

If we took his £7.5m per year and saved on 2 of the incompetent signings... You have enough for Guardiola or Mourinho ...and perhaps a winning mentality .

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

kite wrote:
Steve_I wrote: Image

Outside of Manure, the main reason the second half of Arsene's time is 3/4 rather than 1/2, is money, money spent by shitty and the chavs. No other reason to my mind but massive amounts of money.
Just saw this so maybe a litte bit late to react.
But there is just one problem with what you say. Arsenal finished 4th the first time in the 2005/06 season. Behind United, Chelsea and Liverpool. City? They finished 15th. They were not even close to finishing top 4 and that only changed in the 2009/10 season when they finished 5th. Arsenal finished 4th - 3 times behind Liverpool - not Manchester City. City has only been a top team for 2 full seasons.
Exactly - for all that's said and done the only title challenge Citeh put in in those 7 years was last year. And I didn't hear everybody saying Wenger's job was made easier by the fact that Leeds went from challengers to Championship either?

Chelsea and Citeh's spending has to be put in perspective: why should that increase the gap substantially between us and United and close us between us and Spurs and the rest?

SouthCoastArsenal

sunday supplement - wenger

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Not sure who the journo is, but he was asked if he'd seen a change in Wenger since we've won nothing.

He said he'd only seen a change since his affair was made public. Says Wenger's lost his aura... And the fucking plot

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal are in a spiral of slow painful decline, a club where complacency is king and change is desperately needed. There was apparently a huge training ground bust up in front of the squad between Wenger and Steve Bould during the week when Bould wanted to do some specific work with the players, but the manager told him he couldn’t. Everyone is under orders to hush it up, but too many saw it and the story has leaked. Bould took the job as Wenger’s number two (having turned it down in the summer of 2011) on the assurance that he would be allowed to have some genuine coaching input. This happened for a few weeks before the manager became fed up of Bould getting the credit for the team’s improved early season resilience, and his ego decided enough was enough. Fitness coach Tony Colbert took a training session when Wenger was ill during the autumn, rather then Bould

This taken from gooner eds editorial today