Rocastle - Let Go Too Early?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

Re: Rocastle - Let Go Too Early?

Post by markyp »

i dont think Rocky could ever be forgotten,seriously??he in my eyes and bearing in mind i was about 13-19 during his spell in the first team was a cut above most of the midfield dross out there.he had the ability of in Bobby robsons i think,might have been Don howes eyes,a latin american footballer,someone that could dribble and had two good feet.to me Rocky will always be one of the greats :barscarf:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

'89 Rocky was awesome, so was '91 Limpar
two of my favourite players both were let go too early - but neither reached those levels again

personally I think George Graham's biggest mistake was his drawn out refusal to pick Davis

Martin Hayes

Post by Martin Hayes »

He was an excellent player, who was, admittedly dogged by injuries, but what became clear from 1991 onwards, was that George didn't want his type in midfield.

To varying degrees, Rocastle, the imperious Davis, and Thomas, were all ball players. After Benfica '91, George didn't want ball players, so all three became victims of his new attitude to midfielders - ie, the likes of David Hillier, who would spend an entire match trying to negate the likes of Molby, became the epitome of GG's midfield.

Once he left, Rocky was injured more often than he was fit - and I don't doubt that the onset of cancer would have affected his playing career several years before he lost the battle.

For three years, he was superb.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

I wanted to say, what Martin has just expressed better
+1, or like, or whatever it is the kids say

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

I was at Charing Cross one day heading home,Maybe 1989,90? Rocky comes walking across the concourse with a sports bag over his shoulder,I said "Rocky",Hes smiles and comes walking over,He says "Are you a fan?", I tell him I am,We chat for a minute then he says "I got to go,Mickey Thomas is waiting outside to pick me up", What a normal down-to-earth fella,How many Arsenal players now would get a train to training?

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

love that story, cheers
weird that I still feel generally positive about Graham,
despite the fact he shafted Rocky, Limpar and Davis - my favourite players