Big Club???

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
skipper

Big Club???

Post by skipper »

Barcelona goes TWO (yes TWO) seasons without a trophy, and because they ARE big club, they make bold and necessary changes in management. 12 months later they are celebrating unique treble. I don't think anyone in Barcelona today is questioning lack of loyalty towards Frank Rijkaard!?

After watching them outclass ManUre last night (by playing football their way and NOT trying to neutralise oppositon - hope you paid attention mr Wenger), does anyone seriously think that AW has ever considered move to Real Madrid?

I think we've been bluffed by Le Boss.

I still think he should have max. ONE more season to try and win something, otherwise he HAS to go.

Are we a Big Club? I think next season wil give us an answer.

lagerisgood1981

Post by lagerisgood1981 »

Steady on - AW is a genius. . . . One or 2 decent signings (CB / CM) and we'll be right up there!

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Alas, we stopped being one of the 'big four' a couple of years ago. Yes we get big crowds.....so do Newcastle........ but to be a member of the 'big four' you have to compete with them and we don't do that. 18 points behind the champions tells a story and all the while Wenger is allowed to carry on unabated we won't see much difference.

hadareud

Re: Big Club???

Post by hadareud »

skipper wrote:Barcelona goes TWO (yes TWO) seasons without a trophy, and because they ARE big club, they make bold and necessary changes in management. 12 months later they are celebrating unique treble. I don't think anyone in Barcelona today is questioning lack of loyalty towards Frank Rijkaard!?

After watching them outclass ManUre last night (by playing football their way and NOT trying to neutralise oppositon - hope you paid attention mr Wenger), does anyone seriously think that AW has ever considered move to Real Madrid?

I think we've been bluffed by Le Boss.

I still think he should have max. ONE more season to try and win something, otherwise he HAS to go.

Are we a Big Club? I think next season wil give us an answer.
this is probably the most pointless post I've read so far on this board.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

I think we are a big club in the majority of areas (league titles, size of support, stadium and training facilities etc) but there are two key things we are missing. Firstly, a poor return in Europe and secondly, in the clubs mentality.

Despite what the board might say, 4th is currently considered good enough, when a big clubs mentality is that 2nd is not good enough. Whether this is realistic is another argument that has been had many times recently but the fact is that big clubs win/challenge for trophies on a consistent basis. When this doesn’t happen heads roll. We are not at that stage yet.

hadareud

Post by hadareud »

how some you still don't get that we do not currently have the resources that the other "big clubs" have is beyond me.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

how some of you still don't get that it's the fact that we aren't even making PROGRESS, I can't believe. The manager has lost the plot.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

So whould you want replacing Wenger then???

Guardiola has had a great season no doubt, but a lot of the players that people are lauding over - Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Eto'o etc - not only are they special unique players - they were there during these Two non-trophy years you mention.

He isnt flawless, but with the resources we have, Wenger is the best man for the job - no question.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

lagerisgood1981 wrote:Steady on - AW is a genius. . . . One or 2 decent signings (CB / CM) and we'll be right up there!
That's the sort of viewpoint that stops us progressing :roll:

There was a very succesful Arsenal before Wenger and there'll be one after he has gone.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

Skooner wrote:I think we are a big club in the majority of areas (league titles, size of support, stadium and training facilities etc) but there are two key things we are missing. Firstly, a poor return in Europe and secondly, in the clubs mentality
bollocks, what we're missing is money, THAT is why we aren't up there with other big clubs. take marseille - big support, big traditions, big history, european cup, big team? are they bigger than us because yhey have a european cup? so do villa, red star, steaua bucharest, are they bigger clubs? hadareud the stats man is right on it, we can't compete so fourth is an unfortunately an achievement

hadareud

Post by hadareud »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
lagerisgood1981 wrote:Steady on - AW is a genius. . . . One or 2 decent signings (CB / CM) and we'll be right up there!
That's the sort of viewpoint that stops us progressing :roll:

There was a very succesful Arsenal before Wenger and there'll be one after he has gone.
of course.

But that doesn't mean that we won't see a very successful Arsenal while he is still here.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

It does if he continues with his "experiment".

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

What it also proves is that you don't necessarily need a big name manager to come in to manage the club, an ex player guardiola had no management experience, could dennis do the same for us? one thing is for sure if we don't try we will never know!

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Some "non-big names" also fail miserably - Adams hasnt exactly set the world alight has he? Merson?

The notion to sack Wenger and bring in an unknown manager / ex player is something I find Ludicrous.

hadareud

Post by hadareud »

SPUDMASHER wrote:It does if he continues with his "experiment".
I believe it doesn't. I believe we will be very much in the mix for the league next season. Without buying more than 2 or 3 players.

Then again I also don't see it as an experiment, but as a necessity.