RVP ready to talk to Arsenal about £80k-a-week deal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
projoe

RVP ready to talk to Arsenal about £80k-a-week deal

Post by projoe »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -deal.html
Robin van Persie will hold talks with Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gatzidis this week with the club poised to offer him £80,000 a week four-year deal in a bid to secure his future at the club.

With Ajax centre half Thomas Vermaelen to be the first of a several summer buys, Arsene Wenger is hoping van Persie will agree to the new deal before leaving for holiday.

The Dutch striker has been reluctant to commit to a new deal before seeing Arsenal strengthen the team but though Wenger is likely to sell Gael Clichy and Emmanuel Adebayor this summer to provide funds, further significant signing are expected, with another defender in addition to Vermaelen already being lined up.

And van Persie, who is happy living in north London with wife Bouchra and three-year-old son, is close to agreeing the deal with Arsenal despite interest from Inter Milan and Barcelona.

Cesc Fabregas, currently playing for Spain in the Confederations Cup in South Africa, is also due for contract talks when he returns to the club next month, with Wengerl determined to secure van Persie and Fabregas as fulcrum of the team for the forthcoming future.

Meanwhile Arsenal are fighting Liverpool for the signature of 16-year old Feyenoord striker, Luc Castaignos, who finished top scorer in last mointh’s European Under-16 Championships. Feyenoord want £3million for the teenager.
clichy expected to be sold, hope that is a load of rubbish, unless we get a massive offer. ade obviously can go for however much we can get. good news on RVP hopefully coming soon. a good team doesnt sell their best players, so clichy and rvp need to stay :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Personally I would sell rvp before I would sell clichy but that is more of wanting to keep the players that suit our system the best rather than any slight on rvp. Is anybody else beginning to think that we are heading for yet another transfer window where the club make a profit ? I will say this right now.....if the club makes even 1 pound profit in this transfer window then heads should roll :x We have too many holes in both the team and the squad not to invest every single penny available to bring quality players to fill those gaps

n7gooner

Post by n7gooner »

agree %100 hope the board and anybody else who think it makes business sense to make lets say £15 million in profit from transfers rather than qualifying for the CL next season need to change their minds quick. If we sell and only replace not add then we will have the same problems as last season and this season the teams behind us Everton, man city, Villa ect will be stronger especially man city because if they improve on their away form then we could be well and truly in the shit.

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

If Clichy is sold, there will be only negative comments posted by me for a very long time!! :evil:

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

not even wenger is stupid enough to sell le clich

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

Clichy should not be sold :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

I can see us selling Clichy if the money is right and he shows any interest in going, it'll be similar to when Cole went they new Gael was ready to step in and i think they are probably thinking something similar now about Gibbs.

If i thought for one minute that Ade would get his act together for next season and show just three quarters of what he showed in the first half of 2007-08 season i would sell Rvp in a second.
As talented as Rvp is i don't think he is effective enough, he doesn't play the lead striker role very well or the deep striker role particularly well and i can see players out there who would cost less money than we could get for Rvp who would play the roles he is supposed to play for us far more effectively than he does.
I know it would be difficuilt to swallow for most on here but as much as Ade has annoyed the hell out of me this season, now the season is over and i'm able to think clearer with less emotion i think it may be a better idea to get rid of Rvp than Ade, at least Ade when he is playing well gives us a real presence up front both physically and with his pace, so he plays a valuable role in the team structure and gives us more options and a better balance, on his game he is a real handful which i don't think Rvp ever is.
I think it may be worth taking the chance that Ade gets his act together next season, i mean he could hardly get any worse and unlike the season just gone where he thought he had made it and thought he had nothing to prove he will be in no doubt this year that he has everything to prove and i don't think even he is stupid enough to give it anything but his all.

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

The difference is neither Gibbs nor Traore is ready.

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

GunnerDude wrote:The difference is neither Gibbs nor Traore is ready.
I think Gibbs is no less ready than Clichy appeared to be when Cole left, he's not quite as good a defender as Gael was but i think he has shown more ability going forward, also our supposed new CB Vermaelen can play left back as can Gallas.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

out of interest, what do you lot see as RVP's best position? I've always seen him more as a left sided forward rather than an actual striker to play up top as part of a two man strike force but it seems wherever he plays he often struggle to get involved in games, often drifting in and out during the course of the match

Undoubtedly a class player, but i do always wonder where he is going to fit in at the arsenal

Gooner Jim

Post by Gooner Jim »

safcftm wrote:out of interest, what do you lot see as RVP's best position? I've always seen him more as a left sided forward rather than an actual striker to play up top as part of a two man strike force but it seems wherever he plays he often struggle to get involved in games, often drifting in and out during the course of the match

Undoubtedly a class player, but i do always wonder where he is going to fit in at the arsenal
for me its just behind the main striker. His lack of pace makes it easy for full backs to track him when he plays on the wings.

rtpgooner

Post by rtpgooner »

We should keep rvp as he is one of our best players obvioulsy if fit, but that improved last season and he got 20 goals and i think he can be better for us with a better strke partner.

Good article here on what charlie nicholas thinks we need, and i dont think there will be anyone who disagrees :lol:

TIME IT WAS ADE-BYE-OR

14th June 2009 By Harry Pratt

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/vie ... de-Bye-or/

[quote]ARSENE Wenger must get rid of Arsenal rebel Emmanuel Adebayor – and order Robin van Persie to shut up about his new contract.

The blunt message for Wenger to sort out his trouble-making strikers comes from former Gunners hitman, Charlie Nicholas.

The fed-up Sky Sports pundit reckons the unsettled Adebayor should be sold to the highest bidder – along with William Gallas, Emmanuel Eboue and Johan Djourou – as part of a huge summer clear-out at the Emirates.

He believes that will allow the Arsenal board to fund an essential spending spree, with a world-class goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and striker on the Frenchman’s shopping list.

Nicholas, a Highbury favourite in the 1980s, said: “Arsene is no fool, he knows where the problem lies and he’s already identified what he needs.

“Defensively, we’re not good enough. We need a keeper, at least one central defender and after that you’re looking for a top-class midfielder – and another striker.

“I think Adebayor will be sold if the right money comes in. They were very close to doing a deal with AC Milan last summer and I know Chelsea were also sniffing around.â€
Last edited by rtpgooner on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Bergkamp-Genius wrote:I can see us selling Clichy if the money is right and he shows any interest in going, it'll be similar to when Cole went they new Gael was ready to step in and i think they are probably thinking something similar now about Gibbs.

If i thought for one minute that Ade would get his act together for next season and show just three quarters of what he showed in the first half of 2007-08 season i would sell Rvp in a second.
As talented as Rvp is i don't think he is effective enough, he doesn't play the lead striker role very well or the deep striker role particularly well and i can see players out there who would cost less money than we could get for Rvp who would play the roles he is supposed to play for us far more effectively than he does.
I know it would be difficuilt to swallow for most on here but as much as Ade has annoyed the hell out of me this season, now the season is over and i'm able to think clearer with less emotion i think it may be a better idea to get rid of Rvp than Ade, at least Ade when he is playing well gives us a real presence up front both physically and with his pace, so he plays a valuable role in the team structure and gives us more options and a better balance, on his game he is a real handful which i don't think Rvp ever is.
I think it may be worth taking the chance that Ade gets his act together next season, i mean he could hardly get any worse and unlike the season just gone where he thought he had made it and thought he had nothing to prove he will be in no doubt this year that he has everything to prove and i don't think even he is stupid enough to give it anything but his all.
In rvp's defence he had the most assists in the league and scored some important goals earlier in the season, i also thought that he was very unlucky in certain games, he hit the post and bar on numerous ocassions.

I will piggy back that lazy *word censored* greedybarndoor to his next team, he will never give his all to arsenal after the stick he got early in the season.

He is an absolute disgrace, simple as, he is so arrogant in the knowledge that he gets sheds loads of money, fundamentally from the people that give him stick.

123456arsenal

Post by 123456arsenal »

There's no way on eath RVP is worth 80k a week. Complete rip off.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

and ade is? If ade is worth 80k a week then rvp is worth 90k imo.