Forget about Mata...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SantaGooner

Forget about Mata...

Post by SantaGooner »

Just back from the Emirates after watching the team lose a 2-0 lead v Boca Junior and it seems clear to me that it's not Mata that we need as we have attack minded players who can create and score goals in abundance: we need defensive players!!
What's the point scoring if we can't keep a clean sheet!
We need Samba, Cahill, Enrique and Barton.

Cahill: we'll it's obvious why we need him and I think we all agree.
Enrique: we need an experienced left back as neither Gibbs nor Traore are ready. And Vermaelean at left back should be plan Z, if we have no further option left, not plan A or B.
Samba: we def need a tall and intimidating player. He will be most useful when playing against physical teams and his lack of pace can be compensated by other players, so shouldn't be a problem. He would come in handy to protect other players as Sakho (PSG captain who is also a tank) did this afternoon when he went to talk to a NY red bull player who was starting to get rough vs PSG players: "don't do that again or next time it's me who'll come after you". Well guess what, the NY player calmed down.
Boca junior guys kept hitting JW during the game and I wish there had been a Samba or a Barton on the pitch to come and help Jack and give some back. Point is we're too often being bullied and you don't see other player come to help when a player is targeted by the opposition. I'd think Samba and Barton could change that. We also need authority at the back and leadership to kick players not performing, and if Arshavin had Samba shouting at him, he'd probably come back to defend quicker.
Barton: for the reason mentioned above: we need fighters to push the team when things get tough and to protect team mates when things get rough: Samba can do that at the back and we need someone tough in the middle of the park and Barton can be that man. Besides he's not bad technically and we desperately need cover for Song as Frimpong isn't fully ready yet.

I think with these 4 additions and in keeping Cesc and Nasri we can win the league.

Thoughts?

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Re: Forget about Mata...

Post by franksav63 »

SantaGooner wrote:Just back from the Emirates after watching the team lose a 2-0 lead v Boca Junior and it seems clear to me that it's not Mata that we need as we have attack minded players who can create and score goals in abundance: we need defensive players!!
What's the point scoring if we can't keep a clean sheet!
We need Samba, Cahill, Enrique and Barton.

Cahill: we'll it's obvious why we need him and I think we all agree.
Enrique: we need an experienced left back as neither Gibbs nor Traore are ready. And Vermaelean at left back should be plan Z, if we have no further option left, not plan A or B.
Samba: we def need a tall and intimidating player. He will be most useful when playing against physical teams and his lack of pace can be compensated by other players, so shouldn't be a problem. He would come in handy to protect other players as Sakho (PSG captain who is also a tank) did this afternoon when he went to talk to a NY red bull player who was starting to get rough vs PSG players: "don't do that again or next time it's me who'll come after you". Well guess what, the NY player calmed down.
Boca junior guys kept hitting JW during the game and I wish there had been a Samba or a Barton on the pitch to come and help Jack and give some back. Point is we're too often being bullied and you don't see other player come to help when a player is targeted by the opposition. I'd think Samba and Barton could change that. We also need authority at the back and leadership to kick players not performing, and if Arshavin had Samba shouting at him, he'd probably come back to defend quicker.
Barton: for the reason mentioned above: we need fighters to push the team when things get tough and to protect team mates when things get rough: Samba can do that at the back and we need someone tough in the middle of the park and Barton can be that man. Besides he's not bad technically and we desperately need cover for Song as Frimpong isn't fully ready yet.

I think with these 4 additions and in keeping Cesc and Nasri we can win the league.

Thoughts?
Errr... hmmmm, yes, only for the last 5 seasons or so... :roll: :roll:

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

SantaGooner wrote:
we desperately need cover for Song as Frimpong isn't fully ready yet.
I agree with your sentiment about the need for significant change in the team but we don't need cover for Song, we need a replacement. This is part of the bigger problem. We are so used to dross now that we kid ourselves into believing players like Song are good enough to play for Arsenal. Maybe he would have been in the mid 70's but not now. And the team is littered with more of the same such as Walcott, Rosicky etc, etc, etc...

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

The worst thing is these players are not unrealistic. How unrealistic is it genuinely that Arsenal could go out there tomorrow and sign say Leighton Baines at left back? Sure it's an outlay, but in business terms that kind of player will secure your back four, thus having a knock on effect on where you finish in competitions and therefore prize money received, names on shirts, goodwill among fans who will therefore spend money on merchandise etc etc.

I'm not entirely convinced Cahill is the answer. I think he looks good at Bolton because Bolton are poor defensively. Ditto Samba at Blackburn. But either would be an improvement on what we have!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Sadly it aint going to happen,Wenger wants weak players with no steel who play pitty patty football rather than put the ball in row z.Squillaci is up there with the very worst. Samba would cost £12m Cahill £17m and Jagielka £15m but Wenger the tight *word censored* wants them on the cheap.
Barton would be available for £4m and Parker for £7m both easily better than Song and Diaby

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

but some of our defensive screw ups (mistakes in play not players) belong in the lower levels of the PL.

Two ball playing CBs isn't working, need to give up on that. Cahill/Samba might not be the answer but unless we know of the next rio ferdinand before anybody else, we cant just do nothing.

Agree about Song, forget cover, we need natural competition, someone who is looking to play as 1st choice, nothing wrong with players competiting in the abscence of a pecking order.

We dont need barton, any tough SOB, who loves a tackle could do a good job for us.

Also the attack was better today because we had changes you cannot ignore that. Gervinho in for walcott. Jenkinson doesn't do the sagna stop and pass inside. defense is a shambles, but gervinho was refreshing change to have, someone who can take a player successfully and put a cross in.

Oh Nasri doing Cesc's job??? what a joke, the playmaker role requires vision not just a good touch and passing.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Santa is an anagram of satan :shock: :worried: :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Mata is a key signing, like it or not, or believe it or not but Cesc and Nasri are off, just saw Wengers press conference and his stance on both has changed, he wants to keep them if they are commited, we know they want out, so you want to lose Nasri and Fabregas and bring no one in of quality to supplement the loss of two of our creative players? Absolute stupidity, sorry.

Yes we need defensive players, goes without saying but it should not be a case of one or the other, he will never and should never spend 17m on a player with 1 year left, that I agree with, Bolton have priced Cahill out of the market, Samba and Jagielka are more realistic.

The tight arse missed a trick with Roger Johnson.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Ps. Nasri was kak today, unless he signs he has to go, an unfocused Nasri is about as useful as Denilson, Diaby, Song, Bendtner etc.

Gervinho come in and looks hungry, players that want out don't, Mata would breath life into the side.

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

As Gunnersaurus says, why not get Mata and strengthen the defensive side of things? Still think how we coach the defensive side of things is more key then a new cb but do think we need a new leftback and dm desperately.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I agree that coaching is more important then bringing in defenders but we can't underestimate having an organiser/talker at the back.

If he brings in a defender without those qualities then nothing changes, if he brings someone in that can organise those around him like Gibbs and Song then that is highly important and the coaching becomes less an issue, if we have a back 4 that are crap at talking like we do then no amount of coaching will help.

This is why Jagielka may be the best option, forget his height, its not an issue for John Terry but he will command the defence which we will notice straight away.

Babu

Post by Babu »

SantaGooner wrote: I think with these 4 additions and in keeping Cesc and Nasri we can win the league.

Thoughts?
Samba, Cahill, Enrique and Barton, and a motivated Cesc and Nasri would be brilliant.

With that squad, plus Gervinho and minus Clichy, Bendtner and Eboue, I could see us having a reasonable chance at the title, providing we stay fit and get a bit of luck on the way.

My thoughts though are that Cesc and Nasri ( even if they were to stay ) wouldn't be motivated enough, so replacements are needed for them.

Also Barton - I have a problem with him in an Arsenal shirt, but if he did his job well I could be converted to like him. Would prefer someone else, but certainly that type of player would be useful.

Re Mata - my only concern is that he's another small player, but as a replacement for Nasri I would be happy.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Messi is small.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Messi is small.
I would probably make an exception and take him.

It's just this very obvious trend of going from a squad that, on average, was large and skillful to a squad that are now, on average, small and skillful does not appear to be working - yet!

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

You are right, there needs to be a balance but a players heart and desire is better than size for me, Djourou being the perfect example of having one and zero of the other.