How young should players be really pushed.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbankbren

How young should players be really pushed.

Post by northbankbren »

With wilshere out for a couple of weeks it brings me to a feeling ive always had that in modern football players are pushed far too young into the spotlight, rushed back from injury, and become far too important at such a young age. Especially if they're english.

I always look at robbie fowler as such a wasted talent due to being thrown in at the deep end far too young, he was pushed back from injury far too quick due to over reliance and his knee pretty much packed in and couldnt handle top flight pace, the same could be said for michael owen. And then onto us, theo although not thrown in straight away has still been subjected to top flight footy from his teens, already has shoulder problems, and now jack. And look how cesc has been hit by constant injury over the last two years.

I know they are special talents, but are they still not being pushed far too early. I think they are. And I honestly think at the age some of these guys are being thrown into the first teams career lengths will get shorter and shorter.

Herd

Young Bodies

Post by Herd »

I'd like to throw you in at the deep end with a concrete boot !

northbankbren

Re: Young Bodies

Post by northbankbren »

Herd wrote:I'd like to throw you in at the deep end with a concrete boot !
What so i could meet your first mail order bride who cheated on you :-P

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

to think of it, the mad conductor wants me dead.........

:coffeespit:
:sunshine_happy:

Have I touched a nerve, danny. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ySUC5B85I

:dancingbanana:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Jack being out has nothing to do with him being pushed too hard, he landed badly on his ankle, could happen to anyone at any stage of their career.

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

I do wonder how much of Cesc's injury problems in last year or two have been due to Wenger overplaying him and rushing him back when Cesc was younger. I worry Wenger will overplay Wilshire in the years ahead

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Magic Hat wrote:I do wonder how much of Cesc's injury problems in last year or two have been due to Wenger overplaying him and rushing him back when Cesc was younger. I worry Wenger will overplay Wilshire in the years ahead
Agree, and has been pointed out, Fowler and Owen played too much too young.

In the main, a good thing is that Arsenal players do not do much in the way of weights until age 21 when bone structure matures.
Anyone who has seen the open training sessions will have seen the older players doing load bearing work, the younger ones sticking to cardio.

But that good pattern is negated if young players play too much.
I think Cesc has been affected.
Walcott's shoulder injuries are hereditary though.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Jack being out has nothing to do with him being pushed too hard, he landed badly on his ankle, could happen to anyone at any stage of their career.
I know, but I do worry about his long term sustainability as he really has been thrown in the deep end at such a young age. Lets just hope he isnt rushed back too quick.