Arsenal For Englishmen? (11/12)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Arsenal For Englishmen? (11/12)

Post by gooner.ed »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=479

usual thread starter… Let’s face facts here. Arsene has tried English talent and been unimpressed. Not many have thrived at Arsenal after the retirement of the English players left by George Graham. The only success stories brought in subsequent to Wenger’s arrival have been Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole. I won’t bother listing those that didn’t cut it as I have too much to do this afternoon! So the conclusion has to be that players from other countries are better footballers. And the performance of England’s leading lights in their attempt to qualify for Euro 2008 just confirms it. So the PFA should be addressing this problem at grass roots level, and looking at how things are done abroad. Think technique, not results, at least until the kids are in their teens, eh?

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

We've produced enough players for England (Bentley, Sidwell, Hoyte) and we've also given many English players opportunities; we bought Pennant for 2 million when he was 15, Upson for 2 million when he was 18, also Richard Wright for 6 million and "Fanny" Jeffers for 8 million both from Everton. Also we’ve spent big on Walcott, more recently. Arsene Wenger has spent 18 million on 4 young English players and they all flopped, it isn’t his fault that they aren’t good enough to play for England. Anyway, we have promising English youngsters coming through our academy right now so hopefully we’ll produce some proper English players and shut the critics up. Steve Bould has said our youngsters are the best in England:

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... in+England

:D

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

KHALID,

SCHOOL-BOY ERROR!! WE BOUGHT RICHARD WRIGHT FROM IPSWICH TOWN, NOT FROM EVERTON. :oops: :oops: :lol: :wink:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Why the fuck should Wenger buy overpriced pieces of English tat when he's shown more loyalty from players born in Ivory Coast and The French West Indies than he is from players like Cole who were brought up by the club?

It's just another way of trying to discredit us. No longer boring Arsenal, let's try foreign Arsenal instead.

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:KHALID,

SCHOOL-BOY ERROR!! WE BOUGHT RICHARD WRIGHT FROM IPSWICH TOWN, NOT FROM EVERTON. :oops: :oops: :lol: :wink:
Yep :oops: I made the mistake because we sold him to Everton.

jesper arnsbjerg

Post by jesper arnsbjerg »

I`m Sorry, but its your own fault english players are overpriced.
If everybody wants english players and there is not many to choose from the price goes up, simple

Justin-the-Gooner

Post by Justin-the-Gooner »

I don"t want English players since Darren Bent is worth 16million. He is a good player but is way too overpriced. What English players do Arsenal want? There is no point of screaming we want Englishmen. What Englishmen? Do you just want to sign any English player, example: Are you English? and do you want to play for Arsenal? For me I don"t care if you are from Antarctica or Serbia. If you are good enough then you are good enough. Club football is not International and since the English Premier League is the best league in the world everyone wants to play there. It is as simple as that. Also let me add that we have produced English quality. Look at Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Steve Sidwell and James Harper. We offload them if they are not good enough not because they are English. Chelsea on the other hand sign English players and park them on the bench and ruin their careers. I take Scott Parker and Wayne Bridge as my examples and of course Glenn Johnson and the former Arsenal player Steve Sidwell who I mentioned earlier. So I think people would just want to think before they talk on this subject in the future.