Flop of the season?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
spendsum4uckingmoney

Flop of the season?

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

Just think this board is a little bored.

So far I haven't been impressed with the following:

Borini- Liverpool 11m. Guy looks so average. Overpriced and undertalented.

Rodwell- 13m

Joe Allen- Liverpool 16m. Seems to have fallen out of favour. Has been compared with Carrick for his simple passing style but that's about it. If they wanted a player who will keep the ball but do eff all with it they could have got Denilson for free.

Adam Johnson- Sunderland. Seemed to be a great deal for 11m but I havent seen much of the guy. Is it me or does MoN only sign British players?

Adebayor- 5m

Dempsey-6.6m

TeeCee

Re: Flop of the season?

Post by TeeCee »

Borini doesn't even look like a pro footballer to me, it looks like a deal similar to that guy Souness signed a few years back who turned out to be a complete liar and no pro footballer!

Marko Marin - Chavs......can only have played about an hour in total for them?? I actually thought he was a decent player in Germany but his career is in tatters at the Chavs

Hugo Rodellega - Fulham......Shite!! (and we were linked with him for a long time)!! :lol:

Nuri Sahin - Scousers......Obviously now been sent back as he was so awful! (we were linked with him for ages) :lol:

Most of the QPR squad - Bosingwa, Hoilet, Park Ji Sung etc etc

Sigurdsson - Spuds.....that bad he can't even get a game for the Shite

Matt Jarvis - West Ham......cost almost 11m? Really? Championship player

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

:lol:
TeeCee wrote:Borini doesn't even look like a pro footballer to me, it looks like a deal similar to that guy Souness signed a few years back who turned out to be a complete liar and no pro footballer!

Marko Marin - Chavs......can only have played about an hour in total for them?? I actually thought he was a decent player in Germany but his career is in tatters at the Chavs

Hugo Rodellega - Fulham......Shite!! (and we were linked with him for a long time)!! :lol:

Nuri Sahin - Scousers......Obviously now been sent back as he was so awful! (we were linked with him for ages) :lol:

Most of the QPR squad - Bosingwa, Hoilet, Park Ji Sung etc etc

Sigurdsson - Spuds.....that bad he can't even get a game for the Shite

Matt Jarvis - West Ham......cost almost 11m? Really? Championship player

Yeah and some posters went mental when wenger didnt sign him and pay him 100k a week

kite

Post by kite »

Dempsy shouldn't really be in there imo. I mean he wasn't great obviously but I think he did ok considering what they had to pay for him. Maybe the same for Johnson though he was a bit more expensive but still. Not too sure about Allen..
Would be between Borini, Rodwell and Adebayor from your list imo. Adebayor wasn't very expensive but I can't decide between Rodwell and Borini.

edit: Sahin is a great player. I didn't watch him a lot at Liverpool but I saw what he's capable of during his time at Dortmund. He is an amazing player so I guess they might have played him out of position..? Well I don't know.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Kagawa was going to be one of the stars of the season wasn't he?

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Borini looks like a fish out of water in England, completely unsuited so he gets my vote.

Agree with Kite about Sahin, he's a very good player. Not sure if I mentioned it on here but Brendan envelopes spent so much on Allen that he had to play him meaning Sahin was surplus to requirements.

Kagawa as well was a fucking tyro at Dortmund but has done the square root of nothing so far.

RvP hasn't done much at Utd has he? Oh, hang on.......

Honourable mentions to Rodwell (pointless piece of business) and Joe Allen (ludicrously overpriced).

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

TBH most of the Liverpool squad is over-rated. I know these aren't new purchases but Reina, Downing and even Henderson is way over-rated. They can be good on there day, but are mostly shyte.
Milner at City is well over-rated too.
Mata, although looking better this season(I don't watch much of the Chavski games) wasn't all we were lead to believe last season.
I still think that on the international front, Mario Gomez isn't as good as people make out.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

MegaGooner wrote:TBH most of the Liverpool squad is over-rated. I know these aren't new purchases but Reina, Downing and even Henderson is way over-rated. They can be good on there day, but are mostly shyte.
Milner at City is well over-rated too.
Mata, although looking better this season(I don't watch much of the Chavski games) wasn't all we were lead to believe last season.
I still think that on the international front, Mario Gomez isn't as good as people make out.

Mata you joking he is the Chavs best player 12 goals last season 16 this.You really dont watch Chav games.We missed out on him because Dick Law was after Joel Campbell :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Worst flop Greedybayor 2 goals all season.He only plays when there is a contact on offer.Followed by Joe Allan

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Allen & Rodwell are just typically overrated British players, no surprises for me there. I'd probably put Johnson in that bracket although I feel he does have a bit more quality, just rarely produces it.

Borini has had very little game time due to injury but he's not proven anything in the Prem - Rodgers preferring him as an option to Andy Carroll sums up the arrogance of the man.

Dempsey has become a fall guy for Spurs fans. He was never going to be the same player he was at Fulham - the big dog with plenty of attacking freedom - but he's scored quite a few goals this year and a few important ones too. Spurs fans need a scapegoat so that they can explain being miles off the top despite Bale, Sandro, Walker, Lennon, Dembele, Lloris, Defoe, Parker and Vertonghen all being amazing players.

Adebayor has been shit but this was inevitable as soon as he signed the contract with Spurs. He really is a fucking waste of talent.

I'd probably the following to the list:

- Marko Marin: to be fair being kept out of the team by some very good players but was talked up as being a key component of Chelsea's attack but hasn't featured.
- Oscar: I'm sure plenty will disagree but the positive press he got after one or two good games early on was outrageous and he's done very little since. He's looked lightweight and ineffective when I've watched him, particularly for £20-25m.
- Michael Owen: Not really a huge surprise that he's barely played but many thought he'd do a great job for Stoke.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

For the amount they paid for him i was expecting much more of Eden Hazard.

And in Spain the press have already voted Song and Modric the worst players of the season :D :D

kite

Post by kite »

Marin was no surprise. I told you when Chelsea signed him that all of Germany was laughing about that deal. He's not a bad player but not good enough to play for a team like Chelsea. Stupid move.
Oscar and Hazard are no flops. They were bought because of their potential. They are good players right now but they were mainly bought because they should become massive players in 1-3 years. Additionaly they would have like 10 assists more if Chelsea would play a striker instead of Torres :lol:
Kagawa will come good I think. He was injured at the start of the season and that obviously didn't help but he should come good.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

donaldo wrote:For the amount they paid for him i was expecting much more of Eden Hazard.

And in Spain the press have already voted Song and Modric the worst players of the season :D :D
So happy about that. No surprises with Song but I'm glad Modric has proved himself to be at the level I thought - undoubtedly a good player but nowhere near 'world class'.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

kite wrote:Marin was no surprise. I told you when Chelsea signed him that all of Germany was laughing about that deal. He's not a bad player but not good enough to play for a team like Chelsea. Stupid move.
Oscar and Hazard are no flops. They were bought because of their potential. They are good players right now but they were mainly bought because they should become massive players in 1-3 years. Additionaly they would have like 10 assists more if Chelsea would play a striker instead of Torres :lol:
Kagawa will come good I think. He was injured at the start of the season and that obviously didn't help but he should come good.

Good be wrong but wasnt there a now exiled poster :lol: who was raving about this guy and gave it loads to wenger on here about not signing him,like i say i could be wrong :rubchin:

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

northbank123 wrote:
donaldo wrote:For the amount they paid for him i was expecting much more of Eden Hazard.

So happy about that. No surprises with Song but I'm glad Modric has proved himself to be at the level I thought - undoubtedly a good player but nowhere near 'world class'.
Modric to me has always been a sort of Alex Hleb to me. He's good at retention but when it comes to creating chances he is very over hyped.

augie

Post by augie »

Not a flop as such but sinclair following the £££ to citeeh and getting blisters on his arse even when the team isnt playing well has to be worthy of a mention

Personally I think brendan rodgers has been a flop - I laff when I hear scousers rave about how he has them going in the right direction :blah: :blah: :blah: The guy has had no victories against teams in the top half of the table, pays 12m on a striker then leaves him on the bench (despite scoring the week before) against their hated rivals (manure) and even during the week they had a two goal lead against us and took off a striker leaving bucktooth up front on his own assuring that they had no outlet and every clearance came straight back at them and by the end they were hanging on for the draw :roll: