HERES AN IDEA

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

HERES AN IDEA

Post by REB »

since the club are so poor and dont look like buying anyone expensive anytime soon and most agree that toure and gallas dont make a cb pairing, why not play toure in midfield alongside cesc,
i know we would still need to get a centre half in but i think toures energy and strength would be an assist in the middle,
just a final thought before work :wink:
ttfn :wink:

Galasso

Re: HERES AN IDEA

Post by Galasso »

REBEL GOONER wrote:since the club are so poor and dont look like buying anyone expensive anytime soon and most agree that toure and gallas dont make a cb pairing, why not play toure in midfield alongside cesc,
i know we would still need to get a centre half in but i think toures energy and strength would be an assist in the middle,
just a final thought before work :wink:
ttfn :wink:
This made me laugh but I can't explain why! :lol:

It's worth a debate but then who would play at CB? Senderos alongside Gallas?

My memory of Toure partnering Campbell was that Toure's pace would cover for Campbell's lack of mobility and Campbell's presence would likewise cover Toure's weakness.

What is most important is keeping up the energy and pace that Flamini gave to the midfield role.

Is Djourou still at the club?
:roll: :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

I would accept the kolo to midfield suggestion but only as a 2nd choice because it still wont provide us with the midfield enforcer that we badly need.

Isnt it amazing that only a few short weeks ago we were being linked with players like yaya and eto (who would we could do with) amongst others and now we seem to be linked with nobody and all our players are being linked with moves away :roll: I think there are going to be a lot more very very disappointed fans come the end of this transfer window than there was last summer :banghead:

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Kolo in midfield has been touted before, not a bad call if we had a good centre back to fill the void, but then we don't do we :banghead:

Instead of shopping for a man in the middle Wenger would then need to go out and grab a defender. We all know that he needs to be buying both right now.

Augie is spot on when he points out our change in expectations, from hope to papering over the ever growing cracks :cry: :( :roll:

Summertime at Arsenal, wish you weren't here :banghead: :banghead:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

augie wrote:I would accept the kolo to midfield suggestion but only as a 2nd choice because it still wont provide us with the midfield enforcer that we badly need.

Isnt it amazing that only a few short weeks ago we were being linked with players like yaya and eto (who would we could do with) amongst others and now we seem to be linked with nobody and all our players are being linked with moves away :roll: I think there are going to be a lot more very very disappointed fans come the end of this transfer window than there was last summer :banghead:

I agree. I think that when we look at our squad on the first of September it will be much weaker than it was last year. Okay, we will have signed a decent attacking midfielder, and we may have more actual squad players (I think we've bought about 6 boys through to the first team this year) than last term, but we will have much less experience and NO experienced cover.
Why is it we claim to be a big club but shy away from signing big players??? Even that shower of shit down the road are prepared to buy big! Okay, the players might not want to go there but it doesn't stop them trying. We don't even try!!
If we don't win something decent this year then I fear next year will see another exodus of players. The biggest problem with that being that wantaway players go for far less than than contented ones.
This is really radical, and I wouldn't in reality support it, but if our main concern is paying debts then we should sell Fabregas, Ade and Van Persie now. At least we'd get decent money for them this year. Next year their price will drop by at least half because they will be desperate to go if we end up potless again.
As I say, I wouldn't support us doing that but financially we would benefit, and as our board appear to be more concerned with finance than football it would make sense to them.
So my message to the board is this:-
Either speculate to accumulate, cash in now, or prepare to see the start of a long, slow demise.

Jimmythecuckoo

Post by Jimmythecuckoo »

Why don't we sell Gallas instead and get some money in :barscarf:

gooner_4_Life 1991

Post by gooner_4_Life 1991 »

Jimmythecuckoo wrote:Why don't we sell Gallas instead and get some money in :barscarf:
Because gallas is one of our very few senior players

mike

Post by mike »

Yes, I think Kolo in midfield would work wonders. Would be able to drop deep and hold if needs be as well as bomb forward. As everyone is saying though, we'd need to sign an experienced centre half (of the vidic mould preferably) to slip in alongside gallas. Not gonna happen.

I too am now starting to get concerned. We desperatly needed to strengthen from last season, the unthinkable is happening - we're going to become weaker..... Are we that skint or does Wenger genuinely believe that we have a squad capable of challenging for major honours? Its baffling at times.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's a long shot, but possibly play Song in the centre of defence. The few times he's played there he's looked more comfortable and a little more useful than he has in midfield... But then it would be a huge risk; there is no guarantee that Song would cut it for a whole season as CB. Also there is still the question of height in our CB's ... :?

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Or how about fucking off down the road and supporting Chelsea Rebel!

:lol:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I don't think Song would be too bad there to be fair but we shouldn't be looking to shift players around and relying on making somebody fit. We should be looking for experienced proven centre halves that can hit the ground running. This is our problem since the move to Cashburton Grove.
What we need to accept, what every Arsenal fan needs to accept, is that the board screwed up their financial plans regarding the imapct on football of the new stadium; and since our move there they have repeatedly lied to us and treated us with contempt.
We are heading toward being a perpetual also-ran, an Everton!

Only four years have passed since we took the footballing world by storm and played probably the best football most people have ever seen. I sincerely hope that all my fellow supporters have good memories of those times because they are not going to be repeated in the near future.

So let's all applaud our club on snatching mediocrity from the jaws of European domination.

And as for the left wing.......let's try Senderos, I'm sure we can make him fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Instead of playing Toure in CM and Song as a CH why dont we buy players who are natural in these positions.Sadly it looks like Wenger will bottle it and start with Toure and Gallas because he is afraid to drop either of them even though the evidence of the last two seasons proves they dont work as a partnership :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I don't think Song would be too bad there to be fair but we shouldn't be looking to shift players around and relying on making somebody fit. We should be looking for experienced proven centre halves that can hit the ground running. This is our problem since the move to Cashburton Grove.
What we need to accept, what every Arsenal fan needs to accept, is that the board screwed up their financial plans regarding the imapct on football of the new stadium; and since our move there they have repeatedly lied to us and treated us with contempt.
We are heading toward being a perpetual also-ran, an Everton!

Only four years have passed since we took the footballing world by storm and played probably the best football most people have ever seen. I sincerely hope that all my fellow supporters have good memories of those times because they are not going to be repeated in the near future.

So let's all applaud our club on snatching mediocrity from the jaws of European domination.
And as for the left wing.......let's try Senderos, I'm sure we can make him fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would rather have senderos at centre back than song cos at least he can head a fucking ball and it says a lot about song that after so many years at the club we neither know his proper position or if he is good enough :roll:

Was thinking about that mediocrity comment and I fully concur. Back in the 1930's we had the all powerful dominant team in english football and it took the club another 70 years to build a team capable of replicating that success but only took the board 4 years to dismantle it :cry: Some seem to think we will be kings in just a few years time but I'm sure the club didnt envisage being knocked off their perch back in the 30's either. If you want a more recent example few could have predictated liverpool's demise back in the 70's and 80's but yet here they are 18 years on and a long way off winning a title still

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Augie

At the moment we have to thank God there are four places up for grabs in the CL and that the top 4 are so much better than the rest.Even though the squad is weaker than last season we would have to be really poor not to finish in the top 4.Can you see the Spuds,Villa or Everton finishing above us?I remember last summer on this forum the question was asked is 4th the new 1st well for our board it is.The level of success for the board CL football every year.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Sorry Donaldo but I think your being guilty of complacency there.
Yes there is a significant gap between the top four and the others but these facts cannot be disputed.

1. Currently, we are a weaker team than last year.
2. We are not doing anything to counter it.
3. Our rivals are strengthening.

The result of that is that the gap is closing. All we need is a couple of dodgy results early on and the confidence of our 'young lads' will take a knock. Don't think it can't happen. Like Augie says, how long has it taken Liverpool so far to reclaim their old position?