FC Twente Tonight

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
steve1987

FC Twente Tonight

Post by steve1987 »

Ok, Its 3.51 in the morning, I'm loving the Swimming from Beijing, but struggling to stay awake, so gonna try and help by going online for a bit.

Phelps has just become the greatest ever Olympian, 10 gold medals, which is a bit mental!

Anyhow, I think we can say the season starts here boys!

A bit concerned about the absence of Fabregas, mainly because he has had no pre-season, and so will be thrown into toughies like Fulham away / Newcastle with no games under his belt.

I think we'll get a result tomorrow - you have to be confident for goals with Ade and RvP against a McClaren side, and Djourou will be fine at CB. However, it's the midfield which concerns me, and specifically the wings. Everyone harks on about the CM, but I think Denilson is good enough, and Ramsey will do OK - but Eboue and Walcott (on his unfavoured Left) doesn't seem too strong to me.

I predict 2-0 to Arsenal - but it'll be nervous, and if we let in that first goal... :oops:

Fingers crossed.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

Phelps was brilliant, watched highlights this morning, and i also hate badminton but testodays game GB v China was incredible, great comeback from GREAT britain :barscarf: 8) :lol:

also on to the subject on arsenal v fc twente, hope we can get a result out there tonight, and as nasri cesc and sicknote are out hope to see wilshire *young but looked quality v juve and madrid* so should do sommin v twente :barscarf:

COME ON YOU GUNNERS! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

and TEAM GB :unionjack:

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Despite my un-rosietintedness on another thread I still think we will get a good enough result in Holland.

Don't expect any fire works but rather a 1-0 or a 1 all......something along those lines.

If however Tente are as unfit as Ajax were then I can see us getting a couple. Ajax were shockingly unfit and fell apart with half hour to go!

So heres hoping Tente's pre-season is as far along as Ajax's!

8)

crocit

Post by crocit »

i think it'll be tight too, will Djorou start at cb with Willy? or maybe Hoyte coming in at cb and Djorou dm with Denilson? or do u think Ramsey will start? i think he will, Vela Bentdner, Gibbs, Hoyte, Randall and Wilshere all on the bench, i think 1-0 to us or 1-1. tbh they only have 2/3 players i've heard of. lol, but they did well in the Dutch league last season and we must n't under estimate them

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

I'd def have Wilshire on the left as opposed to an out of position theo or eboue!

Why is he in the squad and why bother travelling with him if, when there is no one fit to play in his position, you don't play him!!

Same with Theo and that World Cup, if you weren't going to play him when he was only striker on bench and striker got injured then why have him there!!!

Wilshire for first CL cap!!! :barscarf:

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

I'm going for a 1-1 draw. Be happy with a score draw or a win, something to tilt the balance in our favour for then second leg, when we actually have a midfield

Exiled in Cornwall

Post by Exiled in Cornwall »

Magic Hat wrote:I'm going for a 1-1 draw. Be happy with a score draw or a win, something to tilt the balance in our favour for then second leg, when we actually have a midfield
You think we'll sign someone then?

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Think our lack in depth might be showing in our first real game of the season. The squad we have taken out there doesnt look the most experienced - esp in terms of Champions League football.

Still confident of a win though and would be nice to bang in a couple of away goals :barscarf:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I think we are capable of getting the result we need and I certainly hope we do just that. I would however like us to have a torrid time getting it and come away looking extremely weak and lucky. If that happens then it might raise a few questions in AW's mind as to how capable we are of challenging for the carling cup let alone the 3 big ones. It's only by not reaching a target that AW will press for funds to buy somebody.

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

Is the game actually on tele tonight???

www.livesportontv.com and arsenal.com reckons setanta ireland and setanta one but can't see it on setanta website

NBM

Post by NBM »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I think we are capable of getting the result we need and I certainly hope we do just that. I would however like us to have a torrid time getting it and come away looking extremely weak and lucky. If that happens then it might raise a few questions in AW's mind as to how capable we are of challenging for the carling cup let alone the 3 big ones. It's only by not reaching a target that AW will press for funds to buy somebody.
Interesting view there Spuddy, so you're looking for a bit of an eye opener then? Part of me agrees with you there, obviously I wan't a 3-0 and get it done and dusted in 1 game but yeah, a bit of a shock could help.

Anyone else got that nervous feeling in their stomach?

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

nevermind found it on listings part of setants website, its def on :D

augie

Post by augie »

Totally agree with spuddy re the possible benefits a scraped result might bring 8)

Have to say that it says a lot when most comments on here are predicting a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw. I know we are missing a lot but confidence in the back ups must be at an all time low especially when you consider that our back-ups were within a whisker of winning the beer cup just 2 seasons ago. I am not saying I disagree with these sentiments either but we are only playing twente and should not be in a position going into this game fearful of what might happen

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

augie wrote:Totally agree with spuddy re the possible benefits a scraped result might bring 8)

Have to say that it says a lot when most comments on here are predicting a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw. I know we are missing a lot but confidence in the back ups must be at an all time low especially when you consider that our back-ups were within a whisker of winning the beer cup just 2 seasons ago. I am not saying I disagree with these sentiments either but we are only playing twente and should not be in a position going into this game fearful of what might happen
No point in denying the truth though mate! There is usually a shock of sorts in the qualifiers for Europe, just look at Rangers. Our lack of meaningful football in the build up for some players is a worry for me as well as the the numbers we have out.

Think tonight just has to be a case of getting the job done and going on from there.

8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I agree NBM very nervous, Twente are no mugs. I hope our firepower RVP and Ade will do for them but concerned about our midfield. Scrape through tonight and win it at home